wordpress FTP (file permission) problem

uberguru

Verified User
I am getting this error while trying to install plugin from the admin panel of wordpress install

To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.

I have checked the file permission of the wp-content/plugins folder it shows flcdmpe (0755) in filezilla and i have also found the file permission using "getfacl" of this folder

Code:
# owner: wpuser
# group: access
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

What do i need to change to remove this annoying thing? Please help

Thanks!

You should use either mod_ruid2, or PHP a CGI. Search the forums with Google to find more information on how to setup any of them.

You should use either mod_ruid2, or PHP a CGI. Search the forums with Google to find more information on how to setup any of them.

But how does that relate to my problem first though..at least will like to know what is causing the problem and what mod_ruid2 or PHP CGI will do...at least DirectAdmin is the one causing this...the group name "access" is made up by DirectAdmin and i think that is whee the problem stems from

If you want still want to use FTP mode of upgrading modules and installing plugins, then you need to debug FTP output. Check it's logs as well.

mod_ruid, suphp, mod_fastcgi will allow your php scripts to be executed as the user your site is running under and not as the webserver user. You definitely should change to one of these. It will be nothing but headaches trying to make permissions work otherwise.

That's normal when PHP is set as mod_php. Just enter your FTP username and password and it will go through.

Now if you want that to not happen, you should either set the permissions of your files to 777, or you should switch to CGI where the script will not run as the generic apache user but will run from the owner itself.

Back