Wrong From address

edvanleeuwen

Verified User
In the exim logs I have seen that the address from which mail is sent (e.g. from Drupal), is wrong. It should be something like [email protected] but the from address is [email protected]. This previous domain does not exist any more.

I have checked various files, settings, but I cannot find out where this comes from.

Can anyone help me with this?

Typically the "From:" line comes from your email client unless you have a setting in exim to override it. That is not the default and you would/should know if it added something like that to exim, so I would look at your email client settings.

These are messages created by Drupal just by calling sendmail. I already checked Drupal settings and cannot find any reference to the domains (not even by looking into the database).

How is your Drupal configured, SMTP or Sendmail? Somewhere in your configuration it still has that old domain name. If you have some time, you could do something similar to:

cd /
find . -exec grep ${your_old_domain_name} /dev/null {} \; 2>/dev/null

and wait for it to find any reference to your old domain name. Obviously (I hope) ${your_old_domain_name} needs to be replaced with your old domain name. This could take a while, depending on how large and how fast your drives are. If it finds a config file with that domain name you will see the filename followed by a colon followed by the line that contains your domain name.

I think there is something wrong in DA. When I look into show_all_users.cache I see that the user has a wrong default. But within DA I have not seen the old domain. I tried to refresh the cache, but that did not do it.

The wrong default domain is in the user's directory in a file called user.conf.

I think I have solved it. Changed the domain in the user.conf. Then saved the user from within DA. Then looked into /var/named and saw that it now contained the proper domain in the file named.run. Tested by sending a message. Hope it stays this way.

Thanks for your help.

Back