WS_FTP times out

kleucht

Verified User
I've been using WS_FTP LE for about ten years now and I have never had any problems with it ... until my hosting provider switched servers recently. The new server uses DirectAdmin, which I love. But now I'm having trouble getting my files uploaded using WS_FTP.

It appears to be entering passive mode and connecting to the server at some wierd port number. After about 20 seconds or so, the connection times out and then the FTP works okay. But I get this 20 second wait period and timeout error message for every single file that I am trying to transfer. I also get the same timeout when I just change directories on the server.

WS_FTP has a long list of server types that I can choose from, so if I just need to choose another server type, just tell me which one! Currently I have tried "UNIX" and "Auto Detect". Both give the same results.

Thanks,
Kurt

Hello,

That's quite odd... I'm wondering if it's possibly a dns lookup, ident lookup or a network routing issue.. I havn't heard of this before... has anyone else had this problem?

John

Had the same problem.. Ended up being OpenBSD PF problem. Got outside and it cured it

I'm afraid that response from JOH2900 went right over my head. Is there something I need to do to fix the problem?

Kurt

ProWebUk, I can pass that along, but the last error message in my WS_FTP log shows that it failed to connect to the server at port 52965. That port range does not appear to be in the list of ports in the thread that you referenced.

Does this port number explain the problem?

kleucht said:
ProWebUk, I can pass that along, but the last error message in my WS_FTP log shows that it failed to connect to the server at port 52965. That port range does not appear to be in the list of ports in the thread that you referenced.

Does this port number explain the problem?

I have had a quick look around to find information regarding that, all i appear able to find is a bug relating to freebsd, readup here

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2003-June/005029.html

you are running the actual RH version and not the freebsd beta?

Is the workstation your connecting from behind a firewall or proxy server?

kleucht,

Your provider should set up his server to allow Passive FTP through his/her firewall.

If you have a firewall you must set it up to allow Passive FTP if you're going to use it.

However you can tell ws_fpt to not use passive connections and that should allow you to connect.

Jeff

I am having a similar problem myself

I use SmartFTP. I have never had a problem with timeouts until I got my own dedicated server. It seems when I am uploading/downloading lots of files in passive mode, I am getting a timeout error usually anywhere from being connected from 1min to 2 1/2 minutes. Once this happens the connection is useless. I have to close and restart the transfer.

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

Hello,

I believe the problem stated above was a firewall issue.
Type
Code:
service iptables stop
and then give it a go.

John

I was informed by my server provider, that it was a problem with being routed through AT&T. He confiremed this was a problem with other people who were routing through the same servers as I was.

Apparently they are going to try rerouting, and are trying to talk with AT&T about fixing the problem. Hope this helps!

I will also try the solution you put in the last post and keep you informed if it is the cause.

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

I believe the problem stated above was a firewall issue.
Type
Code:
service iptables stop
and then give it a go.

John

If your running a firewall be careful when running this and ensure you clean out any existing commands before restarting it. If you are unsure remove anything which starts your firewall in boot (eg. /etc/rc.local line) then do it.

Chris

The service iptables stop command didn't work, I still timed out. I think I will let my provider handle it from their end since they are apparently aware of the problem.

Funny think is it always worked until I got this server...so go figure. :)

John can i ask if DirectAdmin uses a custom ProFTPd setup or is it a normal RPM setup?

Back