Users Login History Bug

RadMan

Verified User
For DA Support..

Please repair or remove the Login History link from users account managers..

Preferrance would be to repair it as I'm getting tired of telling my customers that it is an irritating bug in the admin panel which the producers or the software have let slide for months now..

It works for me since the day I bought DA :D
From my undestanding "Unable to read login history file" will only be displayed if a user never logged in.

It works for me since the day I bought DA :D
From my undestanding "Unable to read login history file" will only be displayed if a user never logged in.

I log into my sites on a regular basis as do quite a few of my customers..

If it works on some servers (and it is obvious that it does on yours) and not all others, then they should either fix it so it works on all servers or get rid of the feature totally...

I'm running Centos..

Then remove the link from the skin. Takes about 30 seconds. I know you want DA to do but as you said its been months now. So you can either continue to wait for DA to do it or take 30 seconds out of your day and remove it yourself. Its in the show_domain.html file.

But if its not working for a user that does indeed login then you have a problem that you need to fix. Probably a permissions problem or a corrupt file. But you may have a more serious problem and this is just the first symptom. Its not a bug in DA but you could have a filesystem that is starting to give you problems.

It appears to be working fine for me and my customers. As Floyd said, there may be something wrong with your server and not the DA software itself.

Hummmmm... Don't think so...

LOLOL... I figured Floyd would jump right in and I'll bet he is jammering about how it's not DA's fault (as always), and how easy it is to fix...

I know how to get rid of the link but the problem is that everytime you do DA update, the links you get rid of re-appear cuz DA automatically updates the skin...

Have no idea why they do that but what the hey, there's lots of things that can be improved with this software... IMHO... but then again, there are those on this site that will shoot down any idea that is presented, if it's not presented by themselves... ;)

This issue has been going on since day one and the very first site I set up 3 months ago right after DA was installed on the server...

Never worked from the getgo while all the other log files are working just fine..

Anyway.. My posting was directed at DA Support... Maybe they will see it, and maybe they won't...

Cheers...

There's no reason why it would work on some servers and not on others. And there's no reason DirectAdmin should remove a valuable feature that works for almost everyone except you (perhaps literally everyone, I don't know).

Have you asked DirectAdmin for support in checking why it doesn't work for you?

Jeff

I have to agree with jlasman. It works for me too. I like that feature, and would be irritated in DA took it from me just becuase 1 person can't get it to work. I'd try floyd's advice to check permissions.

Hello,

RadMan, can you please provide some more information on the issue.

The file it's referring to is the login.hist file in the users data directory.
Plese dump the output of this command:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/[b]username[/b]
(where username is the name of the user). It should be present, and chowned to "diradmin:diradmin" and chmod to 600.

The file is created after their first login, and updated after each successive login.

It also requires that:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/login.hist
be present, same permissions. So check for that file as well.
The admin login.hist is used for counting all the attempted logins, and is where the data is taken from to be put into the users login.hist file.
The admin login.hist is chcked every minute to clear out any "attempted login session" older than 2 minutes (since last attempt).

John

Hello,

RadMan, can you please provide some more information on the issue.

The file it's referring to is the login.hist file in the users data directory.
Plese dump the output of this command:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/[b]username[/b]
(where username is the name of the user). It should be present, and chowned to "diradmin:diradmin" and chmod to 600.

The file is created after their first login, and updated after each successive login.

It also requires that:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/login.hist
be present, same permissions. So check for that file as well.
The admin login.hist is used for counting all the attempted logins, and is where the data is taken from to be put into the users login.hist file.
The admin login.hist is chcked every minute to clear out any "attempted login session" older than 2 minutes (since last attempt).

John

John.. Thank you for taking the time out to respond even though i have no idea what your talking about in the latter part of your response... ;) ...

The user side is outputting exactly what I posted above in each and every users admin panel...

Here is the Login History for your latest visits

Unable to read login history file

..each every time they try to view the login history...

We already when through this back in the middle of May when I first bought the software...

As per you posting here: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13944&highlight=login+history I was under the assumption users had to login to the server a few times and the log file would kick in which is understandable...

In any event.. Not that I understand what I'm seeing, here is the dump for one of the users on the server:
Code:
drwx--x--x   3 diradmin diradmin  4096 Aug 31 08:00 .
drwx--x--x  97 diradmin diradmin  4096 Aug 30 09:28 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     33451 Aug 31 00:11 bandwidth.tally
-rw-------   1 root     root      2408 Aug 31 00:11 bandwidth.tally.cache
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin     0 May  9 18:56 crontab.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 diradmin diradmin  3877 Aug 31 08:00 DAdminUsage.bytes
drwx--x--x   2 diradmin diradmin  4096 Aug 31 07:59 domains
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin   106 Aug 26 19:01 domains.list
-rw-r--r--   1 root     ftp          0 Aug 26 19:01 ftp.passwd
-rw-r-----   1 diradmin colcon    5184 Aug 26 19:01 httpd.conf
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin    36 May  9 18:56 ticket.conf
-rw-r--r--   1 diradmin diradmin     0 May  9 18:56 tickets.list
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin   618 Aug 23 23:19 user.conf
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin   136 Aug  1 04:20 user.history
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin   157 Aug 31 00:11 user.usage

Cheers...

RadMan,

Please respond to Johns request as noted above. Shell into your system, and then as root:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username
and again also as root:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/login.hist
and post the output of both commands here. Then he'll be able to help further.

Thanks.

Jeff

Hey,

Jeff: He did answer John...

He's missing the "login.hist" file...

Code:
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin    242 Jul  5 16:53 login.hist

David

Hey,

Jeff: He did answer John...

He's missing the "login.hist" file...

Code:
-rw-------   1 diradmin diradmin    242 Jul  5 16:53 login.hist

David

Hi David... Thanks...

Why would it be missing???.. How can I get that file??...

Ed

Hello,

Maybe give us this output:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin
If the main login.hist is missing/broken, then it would have a trickle down effect.

John

Hello,

Maybe give us this output:
Code:
ls -la /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin
If the main login.hist is missing/broken, then it would have a trickle down effect.

John

Here you go...

Code:
drwx------  4 diradmin diradmin  4096 Sep  1 09:05 .
drwx--x--x  8 diradmin diradmin  4096 Sep  1 06:02 ..
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin   186 Sep  1 04:22 admin.allocation
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin   324 May  1 20:17 admin.conf
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     6 Apr 24 23:46 admin.list
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin   139 Sep  1 04:22 admin.usage
-rw-r--r--  1 diradmin diradmin   292 Apr 20 12:52 a_welcome.txt
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    84 May 11 23:35 backup.conf
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     0 Apr 21 15:01 backup_crons.list
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    42 May 12 14:31 ip.list
drwx------  2 diradmin diradmin  4096 Sep  1 04:22 ips
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     0 Aug 31 20:54 login.hist
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     0 Aug  3 12:38 lost_password_request.txt
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     3 Aug 15 08:11 next_ticket.number
drwx------  2 diradmin diradmin  4096 Aug 15 08:12 packages
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    70 Jun 26 14:12 packages.list
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin  7576 Sep  1 04:22 php_safe_mode.cache
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    67 Jun 26 19:06 reseller.list
-rw-r--r--  1 diradmin diradmin  1445 Apr 22 17:02 r_welcome.txt
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    81 May 12 14:38 services.status
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin    93 Apr 21 05:39 services.status.old
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin 14229 Sep  1 04:22 show_all_users.cache
-rw-------  1 diradmin diradmin     0 Aug 15 08:11 tickets.list

Have no idea why they do that but what the hey,

It updates the default skins automatically so that when new features are added you don't have to manually edit the skins. If they had it so you had to manually update the skin yourself or you having to download the new skin after every update no doubt you will be complaining saying why can't it be automatic.

Grant

It updates the default skins automatically so that when new features are added you don't have to manually edit the skins. If they had it so you had to manually update the skin yourself or you having to download the new skin after every update no doubt you will be complaining saying why can't it be automatic.

Grant

Hi Grant... Don't ge me wrong.. I'm all for new features... The more the merrier but no all features are condusive to everybody's wants and needs...

Would it not be simpler to have a few more on off switches the admin panel???

It wouldn't take to much more effort to create the ability for admin to decide whether or not he wants to display various links to features that are offered in the admin panel instead of having to go through this blocking out process after every update:

Code:
<!--                    <a href="|HTTP|://|HOSTNAME|/squirrelmail" target="_blank">|LANG_WEBMAIL_SM|</a><br>
                        <a href="|HTTP|://|HOSTNAME|/webmail" target="_blank">|LANG_WEBMAIL_UEBI|</a><br> -->

and this:

<!--                    <a href="/CMD_MIME_TYPES?domain=|domain|">|LANG_MIMETYPES|</a><br>
                        <a href="/CMD_HANDLERS?domain=|domain|">|LANG_APACHE_HANDLERS|</a><br> -->

and this:

<!--    <a href="/CMD_REDIRECT?domain=|domain|">|LANG_SITE_REDIRECTION|</a><br> -->

<!--    <a href="/CMD_DOMAIN_POINTER?domain=|domain|">|LANG_DOMAIN_POINTERS|</a><br> -->

There are already a few items that can be checked on and off in "Administrator Settings" and I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't take any excessive coding on DA's part to include a few more..

Last edited:
Back