How-to: restore cPanel backup in DirectAdmin

Can I change the name manually? or do I have to change on Godaddy's Cpanel?
And do I have to delete my goddady cpanel before I restore backup in DA?

Thank you,
Yes, you can rename it manually. Removal of real account is not needed, as you are restoring to a new box.

Yes, you can rename it manually. Removal of real account is not needed, as you are restoring to a new box.

Thank you so much,

I've got one more question;
after I restored my backup to DA, how do I import my domain to DA?

I think you’re talking about DNS changes, right?

Yes I currently on Shared hosting in Godaddy and bought my domain from GoDaddy. I could not figure out how to transfer hosting to my VPS/DA server.

Could you give me some directions please?

I think you’re talking about DNS changes, right?

After I changed the username max lenght now I get this error;

tar: The following options were used after any non-optional arguments in archive create or update mode. These options are positional and affect only arguments that follow them. Please, rearrange them properly.
tar: --exclude ‘cpbackup-exclude.conf’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.cphorde’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.gemrc’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.contactemail’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.lastlogin’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.cpanel’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘tmp’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘ssl’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘logs’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.zshrc’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘.cpaddons’ has no effect
tar: --exclude ‘cpanel3-skel’ has no effect
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
WARNING! i6306362_wp1 cannot be owned by dbo7ghligyzz, renaming database user to dbo7ghligyzz_wp1
Trying to find files in public_html to rename i6306362_wp1 to dbo7ghligyzz_wp1. A copy of the file will have '.cpanel_backup_copy_dbname.php' appended at the end.
/home/admin/user_backups/dbo7ghligyzz/domains/upscalereps.com/public_html/wp-config.php
WARNING! i6306362_wp1 username cannot be owned by dbo7ghligyzz, renaming database user to dbo7ghligyzz_wp1
Trying to find files in public_html to rename i6306362_wp1 to dbo7ghligyzz_wp1. A copy of the file will have '.cpanel_backup_copy.php' appended at the end.

Cannot find creator 'gdresell' when restoring 'user.gdresell.dbo7ghligyzz.tar.gz'. Reverting to 'admin'
domain.com already exists on the server.

Those were just warnings :) Do you have any issues with the account?

I see it did not restore "domain.com" as it already existed on the server (you cannot have 2 accounts owning the same domain name),.

Those were just warnings :) Do you have any issues with the account?

I see it did not restore "domain.com" as it already existed on the server (you cannot have 2 accounts owning the same domain name),.

So you are saying it's succesfully restored on my vps?

How do I point my godaddy domain to my vps?

So I'm assuming by using this method I can move from a shared hosting using cpanel (no ssh access) to my new KVM vps with directadmin, is that correct?

Click here for the Technical Migration Guide
----

If you have a cpmove-user.tar.gz file, it can now be restored directly in DA interface. Please note this functionality is new, so, please test it carefully until we get more feedback :) Please make sure it's you who created cpmove-user.tar.gz backup for security purposes, because at this moment we fully trust the content inside, thus available on admin level only. This might change later.

Change is described here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2398

Just update your DirectAdmin to 1.57.3 and it should work out-of-the-box. You should be able to restore cpmove-user.tar.gz files directly in DirectAdmin "Admin Backup/Transfer" feature.
i have generated backup on namecheap and select destination (ftp) my vps server now i have backup with name backup(date).tar.gz then i have rename it cpmove.user.tar.gz example name of user is myuser so file name was like cpmove.myuser.tar.gz and move file to /home/admin/admin_backups
then click on restore and got this error

Unable to find cPanel user configuration in /home/admin/admin_backups/myuser_cpanel_to_convert/cp/myuser

Error converting file: /home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz: Converting myuser (/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz)...

File '/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz' has not been restored

please help me if anyone know about it

thank You

i have generated backup on namecheap and select destination (ftp) my vps server now i have backup with name backup(date).tar.gz then i have rename it cpmove.user.tar.gz example name of user is myuser so file name was like cpmove.myuser.tar.gz and move file to /home/admin/admin_backups
then click on restore and got this error

Unable to find cPanel user configuration in /home/admin/admin_backups/myuser_cpanel_to_convert/cp/myuser

Error converting file: /home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz: Converting myuser (/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz)...

File '/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-myuser.tar.gz' has not been restored

please help me if anyone know about it

thank You
This is also relevant for me right now. A full site backup has been performed in the root folder of the website on a server I have no admin access to (/home/domain) I have renamed my full name from backup-4.12.2022_16-59-20_airsupplybv.tar.gz to cpmove-airsupplybv.tar.gz
Got an error that the name can be no longer than 10 characters long whereas it's 11 characters, so I renamed it to cpmove-airsupplyb.tar.gz
See error below.

This has not worked for me so far. Is there an update on this?

Code:
######################################################################## 100.0%
######################################################################## 100.0%
Unable to find cPanel user configuration in /home/admin/admin_backups/airsupplyb_cpanel_to_convert/cp/airsupplyb

Error converting file: /home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-airsupplyb.tar.gz: Found no pigz for faster compression/decompression, installing...
Downloading zlib-1.2.11.tar.gz...
Checking for gcc...
Checking for shared library support...
Building shared library libz.so.1.2.11 with gcc.
Checking for size_t... Yes.
Checking for off64_t... Yes.
Checking for fseeko... Yes.
Checking for strerror... Yes.
Checking for unistd.h... Yes.
Checking for stdarg.h... Yes.
Checking whether to use vs[n]printf() or s[n]printf()... using vs[n]printf().
Checking for vsnprintf() in stdio.h... Yes.
Checking for return value of vsnprintf()... Yes.
Checking for attribute(visibility) support... Yes.
Trying to make libz...
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -I. -c -o example.o test/example.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o adler32.o adler32.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o crc32.o crc32.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o deflate.o deflate.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o infback.o infback.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o inffast.o inffast.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o inflate.o inflate.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o inftrees.o inftrees.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o trees.o trees.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o zutil.o zutil.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o compress.o compress.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o uncompr.o uncompr.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o gzclose.o gzclose.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o gzlib.o gzlib.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o gzread.o gzread.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -c -o gzwrite.o gzwrite.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -I. -c -o minigzip.o test/minigzip.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/adler32.o adler32.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/crc32.o crc32.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/deflate.o deflate.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/infback.o infback.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/inffast.o inffast.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/inflate.o inflate.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/inftrees.o inftrees.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/trees.o trees.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/zutil.o zutil.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/compress.o compress.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/uncompr.o uncompr.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/gzclose.o gzclose.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/gzlib.o gzlib.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/gzread.o gzread.c
gcc -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN  -DPIC -c -o objs/gzwrite.o gzwrite.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -o example64.o test/example.c
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -I. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c -o minigzip64.o test/minigzip.c
ar rc libz.a adler32.o crc32.o deflate.o infback.o inffast.o inflate.o inftrees.o trees.o zutil.o compress.o uncompr.o gzclose.o gzlib.o gzread.o gzwrite.o
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o example example.o -L. libz.a
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o minigzip minigzip.o -L. libz.a
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libz.so.1,--version-script,zlib.map -O3 -fPIC -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o libz.so.1.2.11 adler32.lo crc32.lo deflate.lo infback.lo inffast.lo inflate.lo inftrees.lo trees.lo zutil.lo compress.lo uncompr.lo gzclose.lo gzlib.lo gzread.lo gzwrite.lo  -lc
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o example64 example64.o -L. libz.a
rm -f libz.so libz.so.1
ln -s libz.so.1.2.11 libz.so
ln -s libz.so.1.2.11 libz.so.1
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o minigzip64 minigzip64.o -L. libz.a
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o examplesh example.o -L. libz.so.1.2.11
gcc -O3 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -DHAVE_HIDDEN -o minigzipsh minigzip.o -L. libz.so.1.2.11
rm -f /usr/local/lib_da/lib/libz.a
cp libz.a /usr/local/lib_da/lib
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib_da/lib/libz.a
cp libz.so.1.2.11 /usr/local/lib_da/lib
chmod 755 /usr/local/lib_da/lib/libz.so.1.2.11
rm -f /usr/local/lib_da/share/man/man3/zlib.3
cp zlib.3 /usr/local/lib_da/share/man/man3
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib_da/share/man/man3/zlib.3
rm -f /usr/local/lib_da/lib/pkgconfig/zlib.pc
cp zlib.pc /usr/local/lib_da/lib/pkgconfig
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib_da/lib/pkgconfig/zlib.pc
rm -f /usr/local/lib_da/include/zlib.h /usr/local/lib_da/include/zconf.h
cp zlib.h zconf.h /usr/local/lib_da/include
chmod 644 /usr/local/lib_da/include/zlib.h /usr/local/lib_da/include/zconf.h
Downloading pigz-2.4.tar.gz...
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/pigz-2.4.tar.gz
Extracting /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/pigz-2.4.tar.gz...
Installing pigz-2.4...
Trying to make pigz-2.4...
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/   -c -o pigz.o pigz.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/   -c -o yarn.o yarn.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/   -c -o try.o try.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/deflate.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/blocksplitter.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/tree.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/lz77.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/cache.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/hash.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/util.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/squeeze.c
gcc -I/usr/local/lib_da/include/ -c zopfli/src/zopfli/katajainen.c
gcc  -o pigz pigz.o yarn.o try.o deflate.o blocksplitter.o tree.o lz77.o cache.o hash.o util.o squeeze.o katajainen.o -lm /usr/local/lib_da/lib/libz.a -lpthread
ln -f pigz unpigz
Make complete
Installing pigz-2.4...
Enabling pigz in directadmin.conf to use 2 CPU core(s).
pigz-2.4 has been installed successfully.
Converting airsupplyb (/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-airsupplyb.tar.gz)...

File '/home/admin/admin_backups/cpmove-airsupplyb.tar.gz' has not been restored

Click here for the Technical Migration Guide
----

If you have a cpmove-user.tar.gz file, it can now be restored directly in DA interface. Please note this functionality is new, so, please test it carefully until we get more feedback :) Please make sure it's you who created cpmove-user.tar.gz backup for security purposes, because at this moment we fully trust the content inside, thus available on admin level only. This might change later.

Change is described here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=2398

Just update your DirectAdmin to 1.57.3 and it should work out-of-the-box. You should be able to restore cpmove-user.tar.gz files directly in DirectAdmin "Admin Backup/Transfer" feature.
To begin, you will need to log in to DirectAdmin.
After that, you will need to make a new account for yourself in the system.
The following step is for you to access "Admin Backup/Transfer."
Make your selection under "Restore a User Backup."
The cPanel backup file needs to be uploaded.
Choose the files you want to restore.
Perform some tests on both your website and its setups.
If it's necessary, update the DNS records.

Back