Which control panel do you prefer? cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin etc...

The best reason for direct admin, i think: cheaper for personal license with great forum support and get same software as regular license.
Cost effective ... Some people commonly have 1 site
Direct Admin give the chance for small business to grow huge... Thanks.

Yet, free web panel is another choice for small business, but it have more risk than paid web panel....

Last edited:
If you only have 1 site then you really don't need DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin should be used for automation and is not a substitute for knowing what's going on behind the scenes. That goes for any control panel.

If you only have 1 site then you really don't need DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin should be used for automation and is not a substitute for knowing what's going on behind the scenes. That goes for any control panel.
But i need unmanaged VPS,, i don't have techinal knowladge to setup website without web panel...
Also i need fast and lightweight web panel and want automatic update... sure
So, i choose directadmin for personal...

Great that you picked DirectAdmin. You will still get hacked if you don't know what you are doing.

cheaper for personal license
Correct but that is something which could only be compared since september last year when it was introduced. However for many hobbyists and people with more websites but only need 1 accountname, this is great that DA offers this as only professional panel for such cheap price.

That goes for any control panel.
You are correct in stating that it's not needed for 1 website. But it comes in handy if you have multiple websites and domains and want to use your own VPS for this.
Next to that, it's great for people wanting to start to learn the things going on behind the scenes on such panel if they want to start their own company later.

Maybe I am just old. I started 22 years ago. I learned to set up each service first. Of that was before there were control panels except for Webmin. I discovered Webmin after I learned everything. I truly value everything I learned before the using a control panel and would not trade that experience for anything. I even wrote my own accounting system that set up users on the server much like WHMCS does now except mine was very rudimentary but it did everything I needed it to do.

Learn to do it the hard way first and then you will understand what the control panels are doing. I still believe you need to learn to be an administrator first then learn to use a control panel.

Oh yeah. Same can happen with several hosters.... so using hosting is no guarantee either, and I mean with this that it's not always the users fault.
I wasn't suggesting using a hosting company would be any better. But if you are in control of your own server then you should be a true administrator. And its fine to learn on a VPS but just don't have anything important on there. If it gets hacked you can always start over and learn from it. You can always shut it down when you are not actively learning on it.

Thank you Kadek. Maybe it's less risk to get hacked with most hosters, I think that is what floyd means. But if people use their own unmanaged VPS, they should be aware of the risks. So it's great for learning.

@floyd It's no matter of being old, but a matter of possibility's. In our time, I also started with apache and Postfix and mysql just on a server at home to learn. I even learned about webmin a year later. This is the best way of learning ofcourse. I'm glad I did this before I got to panels and wouldn't trade this experience either. I quite agree with you on that part.

But have a look at some (or a lot) at the spoiled cPanel admins nowadays. Even if you say "use this command on SSH" some wonder how they get in to SSH.

But in our time there were also no cheap VPS systems which we could use as servers to learn.
I think nowadays too little people will learn or are eager to learn the old fashion way like we did it. But I'm still hoping with a vps and a limited panel like the personal license, they still have to do things via commandline (opposite to cpanel) and can learn a lot.

So ofcourse it's better to learn the old ways, I surely agree, but most won't take the time for it. So I think it's better to learn like this, then getting a cP license and call themselves admins.

Richard I think we agree. You have been here almost as long as I have on this forum and we all learn from each other.

My personality type is that I always want to know how something works because I don't want to be locked into doing something a certain way. If any of these control panels go away for some reason or they priced too high, I am not going to be out of business because of it.

I prefer DA interface, but would prefer more options in DA interface to change settings as an admin.

You ask this question in Diretadmin forums? Who has the guts to say he likes other control panels more? I do not dare to say such a thing the moderators will kick my ass and give me a hell of a time and then ignore me LOL
but I like directadmin even though I need to learn a lot;)

I do not dare to say such a thing the moderators will kick my ass and give me a hell of a time and then ignore me LOL
Well you don't know the admins and moderators over here then. :D
They are real friendly and don't bite as quick and as hard as you might see on some other forums, they are real nice.

Hi,

really a strange thread, but i give you my honest oppinion.

My first VPS what i every had, had been coming with DirectAdmin. Had been with the old grey skin and to be honest, i really didnt like so much the skin there because it looked so oldschool.

My next servers had been coming with Cpanel and i liked the fresh look there and used it for years. Altough some years ago i bought some licenses (;-) from DA for a few projects, but didnt use it and tought already that i will never use them...

Last year Cpanel showed their real face, how greedy a company can be. With raising their prices dramatically, i feeld annoyed off them and didnt want to extend my licenses any more. I tested around 1 month ago on a testserver DirectAdmin and i had been falling in love with their new icon designs and dark screen and liked it from the first second. Everything had been feeling so up2date and when i look now to cpanel, everything looks outdated from icons and co to me.

So, i switched now 3 servers and a few hundred domains to DirectAdmin and dont think to change in the next coming years the panel again. I love DirectAdmin at moment and you find for that price, nothing compareable!

Greets

Need help. Wanna choose simple and handy server management panel. But I'm not sure which one to pick. DirectAdmin or Fastpanel? Read a lot about DA but https://fastpanel.direct/ has got a lot of positive feedback... Has anybody used it??

Thanks in advance for your honest reviews

Directadmin can be as simple as you want. It also supports a lot more operating systems as I see. Fast only supports Centos 7, not Centos 8, not Ubuntu 16 but only 18. Next to that, they don't show any prices on their site, which I don't like anyway. Because a lack of prices does not give a trustworthy first impression.

I think you will find everyone on this forum to be partial to DirectAdmin.

Back