NETDATA outside DA has better performance

disaint

Verified User
Hi there!

I am an old Cpanel user trying to migrate about 100 accounts to this incredible web control panel as soon as possible.

One of the things I like is simplicity and low resources.
I am trying DA with a Trial License on a small VPS (2 cores + 2g ram) and one of the things I really searched first day was realtime stats. No answer.

I discovered NETDATA in this forum and blowed my mind. I installed it in my current server and works very smooth. I did the same on my DirectAdmin small VPS (CENTOS 8). Everything was great, working fine on port 19999. So, I realized that on DA 1.61 NETDATA was going to be inside DA menu. So I thought: this is going to get better!

So I updated DA to 1.61 and tried to reinstall NETDATA using CUSTOM BUILD. Installation fine, port changed to: 2222 (only visible inside DA). Great!
But when I open new NETDATA window over 2222 port with /CMD_NETDATA_SOCK url CPU % was getting higher than ever.

NETDATA CPU was about 2% max. But a new user "NOBODY" on "Users" menu inside NETDATA was consuming more than 40-60% CPU. What?

Before using CUSTOM BUILD (visible on port 19999), total CPU utilization was about 1-3%. After CUSTOM BUILD (NETDATA inside DA over port 2222), Total CPU % was more than 30% due to this "NOBODY" user.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-30 a la(s) 23.19.30.png

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-30 a la(s) 23.20.41.png

1. This big difference over cpu utilization is only when I am looking at NETDATA real time window on Chrome (port 2222 from DA).
  2. Is this issue related with my "direct" installation over CENTOS 8 before using CUSTOM BUILD with DA 1.61?
  3. Which should be my next step? unninstall? change port to default?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May you check what happens in "top" at that time? (which process is taking the CPU?)

Thank you!

Hi there!

When I use CUSTOM BUILD to build NEDTADA this installation lines talks about setting NETDATA as "nobody" user:

Code:
--- Attempt to create user/group netdata/netadata ---
Group 'netdata' already exists.
User 'netdata' already exists.
--- Add user netdata to required user groups ---
Group 'docker' does not exist.
FAILED Failed to add netdata user to secondary groups
User 'netdata' is already in group 'nginx'.
Group 'varnish' does not exist.
Group 'haproxy' does not exist.
User 'netdata' is already in group 'adm'.
Group 'nsd' does not exist.
Group 'proxy' does not exist.
Group 'squid' does not exist.
Group 'ceph' does not exist.
User 'netdata' is already in group 'nobody'.
Group 'I2C' does not exist.

This is what I've got with "top" when NETDATA is working outside DA (port 19999):

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-31 a la(s) 16.13.40.png

And this is when NETDATA is working inside DA (port 2222):

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-31 a la(s) 16.29.36 1.png

Some extra images from NETDATA inside DA:
Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-31 a la(s) 16.16.47.png

Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-31 a la(s) 16.23.34.png

Thanks in advance!
Regards
Disaint

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-30 a la(s) 23.20.41.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2020-05-30 a la(s) 23.20.41.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 43
Another issue is at midnight, when NETDATA updates itself with /etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater
It removes/blanks NETDATA DA sock file, so I can not see NETDATA shortcut from DA panel and I can access on :19999.

- Maybe I have to remove all NETDATA files from CENTOS 8 and then make a fresh install only from CUSTOM BUILD?
- What do you think?

Another issue is at midnight, when NETDATA updates itself with /etc/cron.daily/netdata-updater
It removes/blanks NETDATA DA sock file, so I can not see NETDATA shortcut from DA panel and I can access on :19999.

- Maybe I have to remove all NETDATA files from CENTOS 8 and then make a fresh install only from CUSTOM BUILD?
- What do you think?

Regarding "top" - your CPU load average is even lower when started in DirectAdmin. You're just showing resource usage of user "nobody", which DirectAdmin runs as :) While netdata runs externally, it runs under netdata user.

Thank you smtalk! :LOL:
Yes, I could see that too. When NETDATA runs internally, then user NOBODY load is about 30.
When NETDATA runs externally, there is no almost no load at all.

Now I will keep NETDATA works externally (port: 19999) so load is not affected, and also due to NETDATA GITHUB ISSUE: https://github.com/netdata/netdata/issues/8531

Thank you!

Hi

How to exactly to configure netdata to acces to port 19999 (external) ?

Thanks

this manual of netdata config
Hi

How to exactly to configure netdata to acces to port 19999 (external) ?

Thanks
try read manual from this

and you can put custom netdata.conf to
/custombuild/custom/netdata/

Hi

I put this:

[web]
default port = 19999

but not work....

Hi

I put this:

[web]
default port = 19999

but not work....
try check curl from inside your server when you want to check if that port open or closed
then it's wrong config

Have you made change from custombuild or direct file ?
direct file it's locate at /opt/netdata/etc/
try config directly before adding to custombuild/custom config

ok i put:

[web]
default port = 19999
bind to = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=dashboard^SSL=optional xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:19998=management|netdata.conf web.domain.com:19997=badges [::]:19996=streaming^SSL=force localhost:19995=registry *:http=dashboard unix:/var/run/netdata/netdata.sock

work, but i don't know if is good...

ok i put:

[web]
default port = 19999
bind to = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx=dashboard^SSL=optional xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:19998=management|netdata.conf web.domain.com:19997=badges [::]:19996=streaming^SSL=force localhost:19995=registry *:http=dashboard unix:/var/run/netdata/netdata.sock

work, but i don't know if is good...
It's good as long as you don't mind sharing all of the resource usage details with the public.

Back