Roundcube 1.4.11 broken due to unsupported PHP version

warg

Verified User
Hello,

I just updated Roundcube to 1.4.11 from 1.4.10 via CustomBuild 2.0. During the update, I got these messages in the log/protocol:

Editing roundcube configuration...
Roundcube 1.4.11 has been installed successfully.
Unsupported PHP version. Required PHP >= 5.4 and < 8.0.
Done!
When I open Roundcube after the upgrade, I get this error:
Unsupported PHP version. Required PHP >= 5.4 and < 8.0.

So I think CustomBuild 2.0 allows an unsupported mix of PHP and Roundcube. A short research shows that PHP 8 isn't supported by Roundcube so this is no issue of CustomBuild's setup but maybe there should be a warning by DIrectadmin or something like this regarding the upgrade to PHP 8 and an incompatibility with Roundcube.

This happens on Debian 10 with PHP 8.0.2

Best Regards,

.2 is the issue... :cool:

It like my dad used to say you never eat at a Brand New restaurant..they haven't worked out all their kinks yet. The skillets aren't even seasoned good..

Well, I think that's not comparable. It's not a bug of PHP 8 nor Roundcube. It's just a setup that's not supported by Roundcube and thus shouldn't be possible like this for a Directadmin setup.

Well, I think that's not comparable. It's not a bug of PHP 8 nor Roundcube. It's just a setup that's not supported by Roundcube and thus shouldn't be possible like this for a Directadmin setup.
Hi @warg
I had the same problem. In the file "iniset.php" (roundcube_folder -> program -> include) I rewrote the value 80000 on lines 22-24 to the value 90000 and everything, as it seems, works.
if (PHP_VERSION_ID >= 80000) {
die("Unsupported PHP version. Required PHP >= 5.4 and < 8.0.");
}
I think it will help.

Thank you guys for sharing your information and providing a workaround. Highly appreciated!

Note that this workaround is not recommended, the version check is because the RC is not yet approved to run on PHP 8. If the check is bypassed, your installation may present several problems.

Note that this workaround is not recommended, the version check is because the RC is not yet approved to run on PHP 8. If the check is bypassed, your installation may present several problems.
It is OK. the previous version worked without problems.
They could at least give us a warning before downloading and updating. This is a step backwards.

Who should give a warning? Roundcube states incompatible. So why would you try to use php8 and roundcube?

I do not recommend keeping a new major PHP version as the main one on a production server.

PHP 8 is not yet 3 months old, I suggest keeping PHP 7.4 as primary and 8 as secondary (optional), so the scripts that run on your server will have time to be adapted and run well in the new PHP.

I think he means a warning from DirectAdmin/CustomBuild.
Why would they do that? They don’t code roundcube. That’s the Admins job to study compatibility. Same reason no one should be using php 8. It’s not stable and won’t be for 6 + months.

Thank you, @warg ! Worked for me now I'm getting this message. I think I could fix it.
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_time_limit() in /var/www/vhosts/jbertmusic.com/httpdocs/roundcube/program/include/iniset.php:58 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/vhosts/jbertmusic.com/httpdocs/roundcube/installer/index.php(43): require() #1 {main} thrown in /var/www/vhosts/jbertmusic.com/httpdocs/roundcube/program/include/iniset.php on line 58

I solved it by making PHP 7.4 as default and PHP 8.0 by secondary and then ./build php .

@jBert
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set php1_release 7.4
./build set php2_release 8.0
./build php n
./build rewrite_confs
Also these step can do with Custombuild 2.0 too, in 'Admin Level -> Custombuild '

Hi @jamgames2 I don't have git and all the other program software I will need to install them. I'm using Plesk and Filezilla FTP not the terminal.

Then you need to go to Plesk forum to find how to do it.
Something like how to change "(Main/Default or Secondary/2nd) php" Version.

This forum is for DA Community. feel free to ask/report some bug.
But I recommend to go to Plesk Community. that can solve quickly

Hi, I have the same issue,

I did change php1_release to 7.4 but phpinfo in roundcube still shows me php 8.0.6.
In custombuild 2 I changed php1_release to 7.4 and php2_release to 8.0 but still roundcube is run in php8...

What todo? Why I cannot just choose the version roundcube has to run with? :/

Hi, I have the same issue,

I did change php1_release to 7.4 but phpinfo in roundcube still shows me php 8.0.6.
In custombuild 2 I changed php1_release to 7.4 and php2_release to 8.0 but still roundcube is run in php8...

What todo? Why I cannot just choose the version roundcube has to run with? :/
Rebuild you php again

Back