Almalinux or rocky linux as successors to centos 8 and will DA support almalinux ?

yeah, the same person who founded CentOS and and sold it.

Maybe Rocky will be sold in the future like its sister.
Yep that is possible. But Alma is already owned by a commercial company is is one step closer to facing the same fate as CentOS.

Why do you think that since Alma is already owned by a commercial company as you said?
Don't you think it will last?

I didn't want to rehash everything.

1. I made a comment about CentOS once it was bought by a commercial company it then slowly died. Companies often buy products just to kill them.
2. I said "I am liking Rocky Linux because its founded by the person who founded CentOS originally."
3. heybuddy said "the same person who founded CentOS and and sold it. Maybe Rocky will be sold in the future like its sister.
4. I then made the comment that since Alma is already owned by a commercial company that its one step closer to facing the same fate as CentOS than Rocky.

Rocky would have to be first bought by a commercial company before it goes down the same road as CentOS. Alma is already on that road. Nobody knows the future and what happened in the past may not be a predictor of the future. But I do like a product that is wholly open source and not controlled by a commercial company when the product is just as good as the commercial one. I am perfectly willing to pay for a product that is better than the open source one. So if Alma and Rocky are equal then I would prefer Rocky.

Oke then I understand your argument.
I tend not to agree, because of the main reason is that Alma Linux is not founded by volunteers and then sold, but is already founded by a commercial company. So imho I don't think they will sell or stop it fast. Especially because Cloudlinux already exists a long time.

As for 1. as far as I know nobody has sold anything. Well... yes Centos Project (including Centos Linux) was part of the Centos Project owned by Redhat and after that (since 2019) IBM. And the community. But 2/3 wanted the change.

I don't think Cloudlinux would like to make such change because they now also have to OS in their own hand for their commercial product. They also first have to be taken over.
People didn't want to pay for RH, too expensive, but they do want to pay for Cloudlinux on their servers.

Like you say, nobody knows the feature, but I don't think Alma would be closer to the same fate just because it's good for Cloudlinux.

Ofcourse... it has a pre that Rocky is fully open sourced and not commercially controlled. Mostly that is a benefit, but not always. But there is certainly good reason to prefer the open source one if one has more trust in that.

Time will indeed teach us.

I have no strong opinion on it. I could just as easily flip a coin. If you really want to know the truth for me Rocky rolls off the tongue more than Alma for me. I just didn't have to say Alma. Is it Al Ma or All Ma? Is is Cen Tos or Cent OS? Forget it. Everybody knows how to say Rocky.

Back