5 and more PHP versions

I would love to have an option for another php version , but also hide it from the end users.
say if option 5 is selected, disable the selection menu from the user, and let the admin place his own brew of version,
In case an EOL version is selected for the user -> place a flashing warning on the end user panel with links to this forum thread and some relevant resources.

using php 5.6 in 2022? get this:
WARNING YOUR WEBSITE IS USING OUTDATED SOFTWARE CONTACT YOUR WEB DEVELOPER TO UPGRADE YOUR SITE OR RISK EXTREME DATA-LOSS

this can be added even now, for those who still have EOL versions selected actively
That could be a neat solution to raise awareness. ?

now for something a bit more realistic ..
how about dual PHP version ?
for example In one of my clients servers we use 8.0 and 8.1 at the moment,
one with disabled functions 8.1 for the website
one with execute .. 8.0 for a module used by the website, which is required in his case..
would love to bump both to 8.1, don't seem to have the facility to do so from DA

this can be also useful for modules.. , one with special modules, one without.. etc.. I think you get my point.

I have multiple pro pack licenses - it do not exist yet. Need to be set to finished

It's not announced that it would only be pro pack so I don't believe it will, untill I see it somewhere. I highly doubt that this will happen.

Attachments

• WordPress-PHP-Versions-2022Feb01.png
    WordPress-PHP-Versions-2022Feb01.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 102
I think the argument is always going to be "we need more." Four isn't enough so why not five or six? That chart shows 12 versions - so why not 12? According to that chart, a considerable number of sites still run 5.6. There are five versions in the 7 series and of course we want the latest greatest too - so both of the 8 series. That makes the "need" more like 8 versions. But 8.2 comes out in November, so why not make it 9 versions. Let's round to 10 and call it even. But wait, CloudLinux supports 14 versions!

For the record, I only use two versions (7.4 and 8.0). Just pointing out from experience that this will be a never ending request for more.

@BillyS for own websites I'm using 2 versions too, while migrating from old to new, then all websites working with latest PHP till I upgrade old one to newest and then migrate again. but on shared hosting there are a lot of people with their custom websites with different versions. For example yesterday I migrated website from old hardware to new, and new DA but still with php 5.2 (manually compiled). Because from client side - cheaper to pay 2$/month for hosting or 7$/month for VPS, than 2000+$ to rewrite website from php 5.2 to 8.

Why the sad smilie @Zhenyapan ? Would you rather have it pro pack only?
Woulnd't it be much better if 5 versions were available for everybody when it will be realised?

@smtalk finishing the Proposed new directadmin.conf option to allow more versions: num_php_versions=X . Will make a lot of us and our customers happy - in general not pro pack only - so the vps customers that use provider licenses for developing purposes can take advantage too.

P.S. and about old versions I got a customer - which runs 4.4 site for internal purposes - cause of that they run on cloudlinux box cause that is the only way to bring it in modern OS environment without too much hassle for the admin.

I got a customer - which runs 4.4 site for internal purposes - cause of that they run on cloudlinux box cause that is the only way to bring it in modern OS environment without too much hassle for the admin.
yep, that's where we are going too - create one VM for such clients with fresh OS that will still support old PHP and cloudlinux.
and tell each: if you want to use old stuff - move this to special server, because install old OS just to support old environment - very bad idea. But we still have about 60 VPS with centos 5/6 ubuntu 12/14 - one good think - all unmanaged :)
maybe in next 3-5 (optimistic) years they will move to something fresh, maybe...

hey guys.. is there any way for running more than 4 php version on my DA server even manual configuration that goes in a standard way .
please send me help link or something like that.
thank you

hey guys.. is there any way for running more than 4 php version on my DA server even manual configuration that goes in a standard way .
please send me help link or something like that.
thank you
Cloudlinux only now, or totally reconfigure PHP/apache to use own selector and own compiled versions.

Back