Admin email is wacked - BIG Problems

prophecy

Verified User
I'm getting this error:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

[email protected]
(generated from [email protected])
failed to stat /etc/virtual/cp.bluerax.com/. (No such file or
directory):
retry timeout exceeded

How can I fix this?!

The server name was cp.bluerax.com so i tried changing that, but no worky. This is a problem because i have a ton of sites with catch all to this address.

Well you can't just change the hostname without thinking about everything that depends on it. We provide a hostname.sh script located in /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/ which you can use to change your hostname. The email system needs that all domains that are on the server to be in the /etc/virtual/domains file, which you probably forgot to do... We don't recommend manual hostname changing.. Please use the hostname.sh so that it doesn't mess anything up.

If you are unable to fix it, send an email to [email protected] and we'll fix it for you.

John

I changed the server name through DA in the Administrator settings is all. Should I change it back?

All I really need to do is get that admin email working. The original server/hostname on the server was cp.bluerax.com (This was how it was installed for me). I don't mind that, but I have to have the admin email not bouncing.

the hostname has to resolve to the server, if it doesnt then you will get lots of emails similar to that being sent to root, try pinging your hostname, if you get no results or hostname could not be found make sure its resolving to the server, also set it up as a domain in DA, or at least add an A record if it wont alloow you (like ensim :rolleyes: )

Chris

I can ping the hostname, but that doesn't do anything. All I have to figure out i think is how to route these admin emails into the right email box because right now they just get lost in the void.

Hello,

The hostname that is set in the admin settings doesn't change the hostname of the server, just the hostname that is used when sending emails etc. You have to run the hostname.sh script in order to change the hostname of the server.

Run the command "hostname" from a shell to see what exactly the current hostname is set to.

Send us an email to [email protected] with your root login information and IP if you require assistance changing the hostname.

John

So doing that will fix this problem? Can I do anything to just forward the emails along to the correct box or do i have to do this?

Always run the hostname.sh script whenever you are trying to change the hostname on the server. The hostname in the admin settings only changes the value in the directadmin.conf file, and doesn't affect any other software.

I've telneted to port 25 (exim) on your server, and your hostname is currently set to just "bluerax.com" and not "cp.bluerax.com". The script should solve the problem for you.

John

Back