After Initial Install on Debian 11, Several Services 'Not found' or 'Failed'

@Stije On to CSF:

There isn't an /etc/csf directory.

** Note: on the reinstall, with CSF=yes set in options.conf, before installing DA, there is NO csf.

Code:
# /etc/csf/uninstall.sh
-bash: /etc/csf/uninstall.sh: No such file or directory
# cd /etc/csf
-bash: cd: /etc/csf: No such file or directory
# csf
-bash: csf: command not found

What now ?? Building it in DA will not accomplish anything. :rolleyes:

Can you check if mariadb-common is installed via apt? If yes, remove it, restart vps and try again.
This was what caused the issue in my case with Debian at that time I was puzzled with the odd things in Debian.

No. The output of sudo apt list --installed did not include MySQL or MariaDB.

** Note: on the reinstall, with CSF=yes set in options.conf, before installing DA, there is NO csf.
I would most certainly report this to Directadmin as normally csf is installed with this setting enabled.

So what now? Now you have to install it yourself. I've explained how to do that in the other post, it's very easy to do, use option 2 I suggested.
I can do it for you too if you want, but then you have to make a backup of customized files like csf.conf first so you can overwrite it.

Symlinks
I would check first how it looks.
Because on Alma 8 and Alma 9 iptables is already present in /usr/sbin/iptables, my outputs were the same as yours.

And in /etc/alternatives it's linked to:
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 22 2023-09-10 06:18 iptables -> /usr/sbin/iptables-nft

So if you want to make a symlink, you might need to make it to/from /etc/alternatives/iptables and not from /usr/sbin/iptables.
I can't doublecheck for you, don't run Debian anymore.

Code:
# ls -l /usr/sbin/iptables
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Dec  1  2021 /usr/sbin/iptables -> /etc/alternatives/iptables

Code:
# ls -l /sbin/iptables
ls: cannot access '/sbin/iptables': No such file or directory

Here's another - what now? I didn't realize how challenging it would be to get an unmanaged Deb

After a pause, I've decided to reinstall the OS again, and then to install DA, without "pre-placing" the 2 config files. 🤞

ls: cannot access '/sbin/iptables': No such file or directory
As said, I can not check because I don't have Debian.
Try
ls -l /etc/alternatives/iptables

I have the symlinks like this, but again, this is Alma, not Debian, maybe somebody with Debian can compare. Maybe @Stije ?

Code:
[root@server: /etc]# ls -l /sbin/iptables
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 26 Sep 10  2023 /sbin/iptables -> /etc/alternatives/iptables

[root@server: /etc]# ls -l /etc/alternatives/iptables
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 22 Sep 10  2023 /etc/alternatives/iptables -> /usr/sbin/iptables-nft

I'm curious as to how it's gonne work without the 2 config files.
Which was the 2nd config file? First was the options.conf and which one was the second?

Back again with a report.

I did NOT copy anything to the VPS, ran the DA install provided by hosting company

Code:
bash <(curl -Ss https://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh || wget -O - https://www.directadmin.com/setup.sh) 'auto'

After signing into the web view, there in plain sight is a notice that the DA Install has failed. :ROFLMAO:

What is is failing on? CSF 😤

Code:
(the last lines of the install log)
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Installing CSF...
######################################################################## 100.0%
open3: exec of /sbin/iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 9999 -j ACCEPT failed: No such file or directory at /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/tmp/tmp.xnfc5jCOUR.csf/csftest.pl line 144.
command_csf: preliminary test failed, CSF is missing some modules
2024/07/07 12:23:32  info executing task            task=action=notify&message=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed%2C+please+check+the+following+file+for+more+information%3A%0A%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fdirectadmin%2Fcustombuild.1720373000.16335.YWxsAGQA.log&subject=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed&value=admin
2024/07/07 12:23:32  info finished task             duration=39.588978ms task=action=notify&message=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed%2C+please+check+the+following+file+for+more+information%3A%0A%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fdirectadmin%2Fcustombuild.1720373000.16335.YWxsAGQA.log&subject=CustomBuild+installation+has+failed&value=admin

Are we having fun yet?

I will try reinstall once more (what have I got to loose?) using options.conf with csf=no.

Thank you to all who have helped on this so far!!

How do I alert DA to this?
You can either send a mail via support or the webform, or better via the ticket system if it's a bug.
However, I'm wondering as to why this is happening since you're the only one on Debian 11 until now reporting this issue.

/sbin/iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 9999 -j ACCEPT
Just noticed this again. Where does this come from? Directadmin does not use port 9999 on an install, doens't use it anyway. Looks suspicious to me.

ran the DA install provided by hosting company
What exactly did they provide? Only that command or also a license key?
Care to share which provider this is?

Can you try this:

apt install file libio-socket-inet6-perl libsocket6-perl sendmail dnsutils unzip libio-socket-ssl-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl git perl iptables libnet-libidn-perl

And then install DA or CSF :) these dependencies need to be installed before installing csf on Debian 11

Can you try this:

apt install file libio-socket-inet6-perl libsocket6-perl sendmail dnsutils unzip libio-socket-ssl-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl git perl iptables libnet-libidn-perl

And then install DA or CSF :) these dependencies need to be installed before installing csf on Debian 11
This is interesting, because the 1st reinstall and DA install ended and when I went into the GUI, CustomBuild reported that "a bunch" of system packages needed updating. As did about 12 DA programs.

I am glad you posted this now, as I'm just about to try the DA install again.

/sbin/iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 9999 -j ACCEPT
Just noticed this again. Where does this come from? Directadmin does not use port 9999 on an install, doens't use it anyway. Looks suspicious to me.
You're asking me ?? lol

What exactly did they provide? Only that command or also a license key?
Care to share which provider this is?
KnowHost

Can you try this:

Is this correct?

Code:
# apt install file libio-socket-inet6-perl libsocket6-perl sendmail dnsutils unzip libio-socket-ssl-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl git perl iptables libnet-libidn-perl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package dnsutils is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package libio-socket-inet6-perl
E: Unable to locate package libsocket6-perl
E: Unable to locate package sendmail
E: Package 'dnsutils' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libio-socket-ssl-perl
E: Unable to locate package libcrypt-ssleay-perl
E: Unable to locate package git
E: Unable to locate package libnet-libidn-perl

Don't need to try anything, just start from error message when installing csf.

since csf must use binary from "/sbin/", so missing this directory will always report same error, just create symbolic links from "/sbin/" to "/usr/sbin/". Should solve this issued.

Don't need to try anything, just start from error message when installing csf.

since csf must use binary from "/sbin/", so missing this directory will always report same error, just create symbolic links from "/sbin/" to "/usr/sbin/". Should solve this issued.
Do this "before" installing DA ?

(pardon my ignorance. I've linked maybe twice)

So, I've got this now in /usr/sbin
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       6 Jul  7 14:41 sbin -> /sbin/
Is this correct? It seems backwards.

Last edited:
but sbin is located on your system right? Or at least on my debian I have it, for example:

Code:
root@deb:/# ls /sbin/iptables
/sbin/iptables

@Stije
but he already check on his server and missing it.

@davidc
Before or not should work both if you just re-build csf later, or re-build all.

Back