Converting from CentOS?

If you will be looking to move to a different OS which one?

• FreeBSD

• Debian

• Ubuntu

• Oracle Linux (not currently Supported)

• Cloud Linux OSV (not currently existing)

• Red Hat EL

• Rocky Linux (not currently existing)

• Staying on CentOS until the bitter end.

• Windows?

• Alma linux

Results are only viewable after voting.
Though Red Hat (IBM) made the decision to change the way they deliver CentOS ("kill it" for some), there is (A) still over a year to go before this affects anyone, and (B) multiple options being worked on, such as Project Lenix or Rocky Linux. There is no need to rush to convert your CentOS 8 to Debian unless you really want to do it. Lenix will likely be free and will not require any reinstallation of your CentOS.

I used FreeBSD back in the mid 2000, I found it very stable on DA but I have not used it for many years...
I highly recommend FreeBSD as it's very stable, always upgrades flawless and it's here from decades... The last year I upped one FreeBSD 7 machine all the way up to version 11 and it just continued to work.

I highly recommend FreeBSD as it's very stable, always upgrades flawless and it's here from decades... The last year I upped one FreeBSD 7 machine all the way up to version 11 and it just continued to work.
that's impressive! I really need to try out FreeBSD now.

I know right so cool. The version to version upgrading without reinstalling is a big plus.

I am working on a pf firewall tutorial as well. The firewall is all built into the kernel in FreeBSD. Super efficient.

I'll be moving from CentOS 8 to RockyLinux if:
1. There is a script to do it without having to do a fresh install.
2. DirectAdmin supports the OS.

I think Alma will be the bigger winner in this.
Anyone tested an Almo conversion script without errors? Only seen one until now.

Oh... look... I'm missing Almalinux from the poll options.

Anyone tested an Almo conversion script without errors? Only seen one until now.

It didn’t exist when I created the poll.

Alma What? Rocky linux script without errors?

DirectAdmin runs flawlessly on AlmaLinux 8.4 (Electric Cheetah)
Yup and no the "BUGS" or things todo from DA and others itself stay's haha ;)

I did used the migration script from alma that is on github ( from centos8 to alma and DA supported)

Roadmap for now checked are

• CentOS 8 support.
  • Write debug information to a log file for failed migration analysis.
  • Oracle Linux 8 support.
  • RHEL 8 support.
  • Rocky Linux 8 support.
  • DirectAdmin control panel support.

It didn’t exist when I created the poll.
If I'm not mistaken you can still edit the poll and add it.

DirectAdmin runs flawlessly on AlmaLinux 8.4 (Electric Cheetah)
Yes but I meant that I wonder how conversion from Centos 8 to AlmaLinux works. I've seen 1 person having it converted without issues with the script @ikkeben is pointing to, but I was wondering if there are more people who did a conversion from a live production server with Centos 8 to AlmaLinux.

I converted a box from centos to oracle Linux using oracle conversion script everything works fine you just got change epel repo with oracle versions ...

I did it for the UEK kernel which is 5.4

I did the conversion BUT it was with a fresh CENTOS 8 and Fresh DA for about 3 Months ago, so not much on it also not much configured before , almost on clean CENTOS 8 after the yum updates and almost clean DA.

So please this ( test) of me is not a test on full production BOX.
Take care also i am curiuos for those who did on Full older DA BOX.

Thank you @DanielP but I was looking for Alma conversions.

@ikkeben But you did not encounter any issues on the fresh installed box? Did you need to change anything like the epel release? Or does the epel also just work with Alma?

Anyone having done it on a full production box?

PFF can't remember sorry was in a hurry that time.
No problems sofar i think pointing to alma that connection time out or sometimes slow random .... is problem more have on DA BOXES with SSL and LE

Did you need to change anything like the epel release? Or does the epel also just work with Alma?

Anyone having done it on a full production box?
Didn't change anything, just used the provided script and converted our production Centos 8 boxes to AlmaLinux 8

That's the script @ikkeben pointed to, correct?
From Almalinux github page :

Usage​

In order to convert your EL8 operating system to AlmaLinux do the following:

1. Make a backup of the system. We didn't test all possible scenarios so there is a risk that something goes wrong. In such a situation you will have a restore point.
  2. Download the almalinux-deploy.sh script:
    $ curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy/master/almalinux-deploy.sh
  3. Run the script and check its output for errors:
    $ sudo bash almalinux-deploy.sh
    Migration to AlmaLinux is completed
  4. Ensure that your system was successfully converted:
    # check release file
    $ cat /etc/redhat-release
    AlmaLinux release 8.4 (Electric Cheetah)

# check that the system boots AlmaLinux kernel by default
    $ sudo grubby --info DEFAULT | grep AlmaLinux
    title="AlmaLinux (4.18.0-305.el8.x86_64) 8.4"
  5. Thank you for choosing AlmaLinux!

Back