cPanel-to-DirectAdmin conversion tool

hi.
so far the tool is working great. also, after your last update, i accessed the user cPanel from my WHM. Ran the backup and then your script was able to convert it with no trouble. Previously, I was only able to back up as the actual user. (or maybe it was just a bad day..who knows?)

anyway, got a request for this great script.
could you build into the script the option to change the username before it creates the tarball for the DA backup restore?
Scenario: A user account was created with whois.cart. The cart software likes to create a user account name of username00.
Under my new system, I want to rid the username00.
When I tried to unzip my backup, it kept asking if I wanted to overwrite files and I did not so the unzip, change name, rezip is not a viable option unless a how to could be provided.

Thanks for the consderation :)

hi....thanks!
right now, i am doing a test. ran your script and made the new da tar file. Opened the tar and made changes to the username in every instance i could find it. i am now going to do a restore and see if everything works...manually, of course;)

thanks for the info...

the hunt has been pretty easy except with 2 account because they had a lot of email accounts and mySQL databases. Other than that...it has been pretty smooth. Your tool is a lifesaver!

Sorry, I am new in DA. I have some questions
- do I have to create "user_backups" folder before running this tool?
- do I need to create end-user account before restoring?
- how can I restore backup file?

I have created reseller account, move converted file to user_backups folder, but cannot see it in DA.

Pls help. thanks,

l0rdphi1 said:
I'm going to guess that the number of FTP accounts in the cpanel backup exceeds the limit on FTPs it provides.

I am having the same problem. I have tried restoring the file as a reseller with unlimited FTP accounts and by changing the reseller account to a high number (like 1000 FTP accounts). The reseller is definitely not at any limit.

Could there be something else in the restore file I should look at?

Domain example.com Created

Domain Created Successfuly

Cannot restore the ftp account for example. You have reached your limit ().

Thanks in advance.

gate2vn said:
Sorry, I am new in DA. I have some questions
- do I have to create "user_backups" folder before running this tool?
- do I need to create end-user account before restoring?
- how can I restore backup file?

I have created reseller account, move converted file to user_backups folder, but cannot see it in DA.

Pls help. thanks,

i did not write the program but do use it.

i did not have to create a "user_backups" folder. It already existed in my admin (reseller) domain folder. (/home/admin/user_backups)

you do not have to create the end user account, but you do need to have a package type that the restore is going to go to.
in my case, i had new settings for the users account. for example, instead of only giving 2 ftp accounts, I give 4 and instead of unlimited mySQL, i change it to 25.
First thing I did to ensure the backrestore worked was to create a package in my restore that was bigger than any user had. When the backup restore was done, I then go back to the reseller user list and change the user package to the assigned package which changes all the setting to what i want.
there are a lot of ways to skin a cat...this was my method of choice. I did find this out too....i had a plan called "Gold" and when I did the conversion, the plan loaded for the user was "gold". Not knowing if case sensativity was an issue, I made the big plan and had that in the configuration file. Changed the plan on the user once restore was done.
The FTP limit is the user package limit you have set. change the setting to unlimited and it should import fine.
hope this helps...

Once the file is converted, it is put into the "export folder". I don't recall if there is any automation there, but I simply move the file from export to user_backups. Then, in the reseller backup, I am able to restore it. If you are not seeing the tar file in the reseller backup, then the file is not in the user_backups folder.

restore is done from reseller backup area. pretty straight forward.

it is not the reseller limit that is in question. it is the number of ftp account allowed in the package.

mcc235 said:
I am having the same problem. I have tried restoring the file as a reseller with unlimited FTP accounts and by changing the reseller account to a high number (like 1000 FTP accounts). The reseller is definitely not at any limit.

Could there be something else in the restore file I should look at?

Domain example.com Created

Cannot restore the ftp account for example. You have reached your limit ().

Thanks in advance.

thoroughfare said:
Nooo... an error :(

Unable to exact backup/user.conf from /home/admin/user_backups/xxxxx.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/admin/user_backups/xxxxx as admin :

HTH,
Matt

PS xxxx = the username

I am having exact error. How can I pass this?

thanks,

But how about coverting all users and resellers and their whole dala like mails, pop3s, ftps, databases.... etc. from Linux with cPanel to FreeBSD with DA ? How is this possible ? Will this script convert everyting at once or I have to move users with their system logins and passwds and covert it to FreeBSD format and then after this restore backups ? Also can be there done one backup for everyone or I have to do it separately every user and every reseller ?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english but I hope that somebody will understand me and will help. because this is very urgent for me :/

I can restore the files, but anything to do with passwords mess up. Like after I restore, the password to the account doesn't work, nor does any password protected directories.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Also I have the same ftp limit problem as mentioned above. What is this? and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Hello!

I am very happy that I found a conversion tool like this. I am just having some questions that I cannot find answers for:

1. How do you select in Cpanel server which accounts to move? Do you have to create those tar backups with every user separately?

2. Is there some readme where descriptions for config file values are listed?

3. Does it now copy MySQL as well without problems?

Thank you a lot!!

There is some MySQL issue with this apparently:

Code:
Domain onlineenquetes.nl Created

Domain studenten-onderzoek.nl Created

Domain studenten-onderzoeken.nl Created

That user already Exists
That user already Exists
Unable to restore database student_phpesp.sql to student_phpesp : ERROR 1067 at line 30 in file: '/home/student/backups/backup/student_phpesp.sql': Invalid default value for 'expiration'

I'm using the latest cPanel/WHM perhaps there could be something wrong there?

Last edited:
In order to make sure there was nothing wrong with the mysql, I tried to redo it all. I removed the accounts, dropped the mysql databases and started all over again.

I also used "repair" in cPanel to make sure the databases were ok.

here are the errors for the 2nd run:
Code:
Unable to restore database student_box01.sql to student_box01 : ERROR 1050 at line 26 in file: '/home/student/backups/backup/student_box01.sql': Table 'mst_block_status' already exists

That user already Exists
Unable to restore database student_box02.sql to student_box02 : ERROR 1050 at line 26 in file: '/home/student/backups/backup/student_box02.sql': Table 'mst_block_status' already exists

That user already Exists
Unable to restore database student_mst.sql to student_mst : ERROR 1050 at line 26 in file: '/home/student/backups/backup/student_mst.sql': Table 'mst_block_status' already exists

Unable to restore database student_phpesp.sql to student_phpesp : ERROR 1067 at line 30 in file: '/home/student/backups/backup/student_phpesp.sql': Invalid default value for 'expiration'

Oh, so it means there is a bug right now in the conversion tool..?b:( I really hope it will work as we bought a new DirectAdmin server and will get it working tomorrow to move on customers from old cPanel box...

Anyway, thanks to the developer for this great converter.

hung said:
I am having exact error. How can I pass this?

thanks,
Same here, bug? Or did cpanel change it's backup system (I doubt it, since the last update of cpanel was a while ago)?

I used a GUI-made backup, btw.

Oh, and when it's working, you're my saviour :D. Can I donate somehow :P?

[edit]Small question along with the problem: when are backups actually restored? It seems it's not done instantly. Since I'm new to DA: is there anyway to do this instantly?[/edit]

Jochem

Last edited:
XBL said:
when are backups actually restored? It seems it's not done instantly. Since I'm new to DA: is there anyway to do this instantly?
There is a tool in your DA reseller-level panel that restores backups. :)

As for updating this tool, I am busy at the moment, but I do have plans to work out any replicatable bugs in the near future. Contact me by PM if you have any specific requests.

Phi1.

Back