DirectAdmin Version 2 - Discussion, ideas, opinions and anything else!

Hmm.
Cpanel does not offer this functionality.
Hsphere does not offer this functionality.
Plesk and Ensim do though.

Sure it does... e-mail users can login on port 2083 I think it is for SSL or 2082 for non-ssl. From there they can choose 3 webmail programs and set a variety of different options relating to e-mail.

You are right. They are at the bottom of the webmail page. When did Cpanel implement this. Not too long ago. So give the DA guys a little time.

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back from the dead...
l0rdphi1,
In the different levels that you specified on the front page, I have a couple of questions. What would be the point in having a reseller checkbox for the user level specifically, in eccense would that not make them a reseller negating the need of a checkbox for that group/level. Or you thinking of such a system where admins have resellers and the resellers can also have other resellers(user + reseller on) as well as individual account and so on and so forth until the tree comes to an end?

In such a structure, how would you implement a feature such as where a user can add other users to have certain controls/access over the same domain. Such as the Admin->Reseller->Domain->User tree that web-cp uses? Is that such a good idea?

Last edited:
I would also like to see custom levels, ablity to give an admin certain permissions, sub-resellers and being able to Symbolic link in the cp for a sample if you want ssl and non-ssl in the same dir because it is a pain to do for each and every user. Oh and the Symbolic setup should be saved with your backups so you do not have to re do it every time. Another idea is to include the users indivsual dns records incase they customized it, it will be back there when restored.

I would like to see the following options -

1) Daily yum/apt-get/up2date/whatever update check option - that can be very useful for some users.

2) Better spam-filtering by DEFAULT.

3) Anti-Virus solution for e-mail boxes.

4) Better webmail systems.

5) I think the ability to ssh thru DA will be a great option - just a small script, and it's duable.

6) The ability to open FTP accounts related to server and not to a specific user.

7) Self-monitoring system.
Let's say we want to check if our httpd services are working properly we'll be able to set SSH account on a remote server and he'll be able to check and report what's the status of our services.
after a configured failed retries the remote server will send a short email message to the sys-admin.

I think it'll be great.

that's all.
keep up the good work,
-- yoav.

We still have DirectAdmin 1.31.1, but with many new features :) And I think DirectAdmin 2.0 isn't a dream anymore (so the thread is open for suggestions again). I think that the most important parts for DirectAdmin 2.0 are:
  • New skin with good language support, AJAX and new standards.
  • Email level
  • Web interface for CustomBuild
  • AWstats
  • Better functionality of backup system

I wish Billing was also included by default. It gets customers confused when they have to login to so many different thing (ala CP and Billing )

We still have DirectAdmin 1.31.1, but with many new features :) And I think DirectAdmin 2.0 isn't a dream anymore (so the thread is open for suggestions again). I think that the most important parts for DirectAdmin 2.0 are:
  • New skin with good language support, AJAX and new standards.
  • Email level
  • Web interface for CustomBuild
  • AWstats
  • Better functionality of backup system

How is this supposed to happen? We have been waiting for AWStats for a few years. Now were going to get supported languages on top of this? How? What resources and when?

A directadmin V.2 for me would be one with a new look and new features.

New look:

Directadmin's default skin's functionality is great. Very robust. But we are now in the year 2008 almost, and DA looks like a 50 year old (no pun intentended)

More Features:

I think more Reseller , Admin managemente features should be part of DA instead of part of the 3-rd party comercial plugin forums. Like move domains between resellers, move users between resellers, ip blocking, etc...

So that would be my vision onf DA2 :D

But I'm very happy with DA as we know her today,... 50 year olds can rock the house too I suppose...:D

would be nice if was more newbie friendly and help you upgrade and install things for you like updating PHP, MySQL, Apache and phpMyAdmin in the panel would be nice option for mod evasive and firewall anti dos brute force be install with a few click as plug in .

auto optimize SQL a few more skins like marina alike.
better spam protection ,antivirus include ,option to install zend,xcache ,ioncube, something like fantastico alike.

Directadmin's default skin's functionality is great. Very robust. But we are now in the year 2008 almost, and DA looks like a 50 year old (no pun intentended)
Oh, to look like a 50-year-old again :D.

Jeff

I'd like to see
* a system backup that can also be restored.
* an 'upgrade' button for the various bits that make up the server (apache, php, mysql, etc).

I personally would like to see better integration with FreeBSD, FreeBSD has an entirely different approach to packages and handling of installed software then the other supported operating systems.

It would be really neat to have DA support FreeBSD's ports infrastructure better, this ofcourse would take more time to implement for the DA developers, but FreeBSD users will benefit from this (I am sure of that).

Currently for example; it's rather difficult to update certain packages like exim because DA rollsout their own .tgz file containing the installation, but perhaps I dont want to reside on certain features that were build into that package, or I might have more advanced options required by my users.. or... I would like to have additional PHP modules that is (to me) nearly impossible to install etc.

And beyond that, the DA tool installs files in the /etc directory and looks for /usr/{bin,sbin} folders for executables and libraries under /usr, while FreeBSD installs third party software under /usr/local, to prevent clobbering the default install (which is exactly what DA is doing, because other OS'es do it as well, like the Linux distributions).

This is (together with the Email Only Level) a real wish for me.

All i see are facial requirement by u some of you...
Go do some yourself, make your own skins, or api's, not that hard... i.e.
i mean those are just; fancy stuff..

I rather have an super core system who works super and has to be controlled in $prompt/shell that one fancy looking controlpanel that works like "****", dont mean to be offensive to DA because i still think it the best controlpanel around! but i mean ever tryed to recover an admin backup i.e. ? wont work instand!

I think we need the DA staff to do the real coding; core-coding i mean...
The outlook/skin/outerface is just an second thing..

What we need is: (my opinion)

* Working instand backup system, all levels. (server broke, setup new one and pump up the user from your backups and go, like nothing changed exept other hardware)

* Clustering options like dns-mulitserver has now: "Linux Virtual Server style"
- Server who runs: http or multi servers who has http
- DNS servers
- sql servers

imho its better to let the DA staff code on that instead of the outerlook.
Maybe let them buy marina skin as standard or something for the ones that like skins...

Just mho..

A better skins templates/system without overwriting and no strange definitions for paths :)

More editable files (skins, languages, etc...) accessibles via FTP over the admin account for example.

A look more user friendly with descriptions, popups, like web 2.0

An integrated knownledge base on DA with howtos.

Hability to configure custom links and options, like contact support over 3rd party ticket system.

etc..

Back