DirectAdmin Version 2 - Discussion, ideas, opinions and anything else!

I just want to add to this that you can already run both your own separate outgoing email server for all outgoing email (access it on non-standard port for security, and then firewall off all outgoing traffic to destination port 25 on your DirectAdmin server). You can carefully examine all outgoing email on that server (which will have plenty of resources available to do it) to make sure it's mail you really want to send.

Incoming email is a bit more difficult, but folk have already posted on these forums examples of how to do it, keeping the incoming server aware of all valid email addresses on the new server, copying over certain files and directories to a DirectAdmin-like structure on the outgoing mail server.

You can also buy commercial products specifically designed for both incoming and outgoing email, which will still manage final email delivery on your DirectAdmin server.

Or you can re-skin DirectAdmin, ignore the DirectAdmin mail stuff except for mail to the domain owner user accounts, and manage your own email elsewhere.

Some possibilities include:
Zimbra
Vexim
Google

Jeff

I think I'll be doing this for the forseeable future

I'd quite like to see some integrated firewall management for the admin level so you can tinker with iptables and also have iptables available to enable/disable in the service monitor.

I'd quite like to see some integrated firewall management for the admin level so you can tinker with iptables and also have iptables available to enable/disable in the service monitor.

This would ofcourse be "funky" to implement, since there are other distributions that do not use iptables, but use IPFilter, or PF(PacketFilter), or IPFW... so either it involves all used variants, or you should not do it it all. Personally I like to be able to tweak them myself so that I understand what is going on. I can imagine that it's not everyones work (it's mine); but then you might not be the right person to fiddle with *nix systems anyway.

My $0.02 or E0.02 :)

Man this thread was started 5 -years- ago. 02-04-2004, 02:56 PM to be exact.

5 years 5 months ago.

Current Available Version 1.337000

So how's that version 2 coming along? :)

Man this thread was started 5 -years- ago. 02-04-2004, 02:56 PM to be exact.

5 years 5 months ago.

Current Available Version 1.337000

So how's that version 2 coming along? :)

As quoted by directadmin there may never be a version 2. Its just a number it means nothing. Features are added to 1.x all the time.

arazit, this has been discussed; please search for it in these forums.

Jeff

I have no idea what Google calls it :D.

What I'm thinking of is Gmail except that you use your own domain name.

Jeff

Yes google apps has a hosted mail service, all you do is sign up and it will give you the mx records to use for your domain. I use it for some clients who love gmail and the features it offers.

Set the mx records on da and set it to use mail not hosted on the server.

Back