DirectSlave - solution to add and remove zones on slave without DirectAdmin

You maybe forgot one:
e.) Contact the author by email to ask for a fix.

He normally reacts prompt to emails.
However, I would like option D too.;)

I would suggest you to use DirectSlave cause it does work very well.

I'm yes facing some issue from latest kernel update on CentOS 5 and i'm still not able to figure out how to fix... (Roman please helllp!!!)

I would be definitly more happy to see a new work on DS side beside M2S side (no offense, i think a listener all integrated itself with DA MultiServer function is pretty much better) from whoever have time and knoledge (DA staff itself should, would be i think pretty much easy for them :P)

So, my reply on your choise would be definitly D!

Regards

I can only rely on it if it works. In spite of the reported problems. Because otherwise my DNS fails completely, since all my masters re hidden.

So my important question is "Does it always work, even when it has problems?"

Thanks.

Jeff

I do the same Jeff. With two directslave VPS servers. Works perfectly. Had some trouble to get it running, but now i works perfect. Im running it on centos7 without any problems.

Well, on my side i can tell you that now DS itself isnt working, so new domain are not added, but since named is still running, the DNS services is still working fine and dns update for already copied DNS work fine using bind functions.

Roman has replied to me via e-mail, tomorrow he will reply me and check what's my problem is :)

Regards

Please keep us posted over time, Andrea. I'm guessing that the new requirement should probably be posted somewhere as an instruction.

If it appears to work ongoing, then hopefully I can use it.

Thanks.

Jeff

The requirement are listed in the README.

Roman did explain me that CentOS 5 repository is kind a bad repository for perl packages and is always better to intsall/mantain them using CPAN.

Here the requirement from the README file:

MODULES
=======
POSIX = system features package (bundled in perl distr)
FindBin = to find relative directories (lib etc)
CGI = CGI implementation
Crypt::PasswdMD5 = for password encryption
Digest::MD5 = for stronger password encryption
Config::Auto = to read and parse etc/directslave.conf
MIME::Base64 = authenticating incoming connections
Net::Server = main server & daemon realisation
Net::CIDR = for checking access hosts

Regards

Thanks, Andrea. Still working this weekend on finishing up all the recent security issue patches for lots of folk. And finishing up my new desktop system.

But hopefully I'll be working on the DirectSlave platform soon.

Jeff

I've got a problem with Directslave on Centos 5 VPS.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/directslave restart
Directslave is not running...
Starting DirectSlave...Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x1ec1480, Perl interpreter: 0x1e6a010 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/FindBin.pm line 101.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/directslave: line 70: 5752 Segmentation fault /usr/local/directslave/bin/directslave --run

OK
So it says OK but it's still not running.

It's probably al perl problem, because it says the same when I want to try to start cpan:
cpan
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x12b42a0, Perl interpreter: 0x10ef010 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Liblist.pm line 6.
Segmentation fault

or:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x17ef230, Perl interpreter: 0x162d010 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/Liblist.pm line 6.
Segmentation fault
Any clues on how to fix this?

It has sideways to do with Sellerone's problem. But in my case it was not possible to even start cpan again, see the bug list url's I posted.

I fixed this problem by doing this:
Code:
yum remove perl
rm -rf /usr/lib/perl5
rm -rf /usr/lib64/perl5
yum -y reinstall perl
After that I was finally able to start Cpan again, did a "install Bundle::CPAN" and also installed the modules needed for Directslave again.

Directslave is working perfectly again now.

However, keep in mind that I used this on a VPS with only a private website on it and for the rest it only was used as secondary DNS.
I don't know if this fix might break other things using perl.

I don't see how it could; all you did was remove perl and reinstall it.

I'm currently working on a commercial product to use DirectSlave; I'll need to be sure it alway works :). I won't host anything on slave machines, and I'll only update manually, always on a testbed first.

:)

Jeff

I don't see how it could; all you did was remove perl and reinstall it.
Did you read the links I posted?
Indeed all I did was remove the perl and reinstall it. But completely removed it first, because only "yum -y reinstall perl" did not do the trick.
Next to that, the problem is a Centos 5 / Perl issue/bug, not a Directslave bug.
Directslave works always, as long perl is working without any problems.

Thanks for the clarification, Richard. I have only CentOS6 at this time, and I don't see any problems with Perl or CPAN.

Will DirectSlave run on CentOS 6? If it will I don't anticipate any issues.

Thanks.

Jeff

You're welcome Jeff.

I will run on Centos 6 without any problems. I had it running on another Centos 6 server before without any problems.
However, I did not test it on Centos 7, I don't use that yet because the many changes (especialy with startup and restart stuff).

I think it does work fine in CentOS 6, im not sure cause i use CentOS 5 (Hardware related issue with DELL OMSA and CentOS 6, very old hardware with Pentum 4 which is more than enough for a DNS Server).

If you want, i can make a VM with CentOS 6 and test it for you.

Regards

Ok, tested on CentOS 6 and it work perfectly ;)

The only perl package that give issue (if munin-node is installed) is: perl-Net-Server

So i do this:
yum -y remove perl-Net-Server
echo "no" | /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e "CPAN::Shell->force(qw(install Net::Server::HTTP Net::Server::Proto CGI::Util ));"

This will install the package directly from CPAN, and, if you had munin-node (which get removed removing perl-Net-Server, now you can reinstall it with yum -y install munin-node and it will reinstall the perl package without causing issue to DirectSlave.

Regards

Back