ELS - Easy Linux Security script

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: open(/tmp/sess_b1c9d964f784ef122e2a33aacdc1b089, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 44

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 44

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php:44) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 101

cool =), but don't work update apach (tested in Fedora 5,6 and CentOS 4.5)...
who can help? )
thank you.

using els --wheeluser doesn't appear to work on my Centos 5 server.

specifically the error appears to be
You enetered 'xxxxxx'. Ensure this is correct before continuing.
Proceed? (y/n): y
User already exists. Please select a different username.
/usr/local/bin/els: line 3562: wheeluser: command not found
/usr/local/bin/els: line 3564: adduser: command not found
Please enter a password.
Changing password for user xxxxxxx.
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
Operation failed.
SSH still allowing root login.

When the error first occurred, I was SU'd in so I thought it was because els cannot find /usr/sbin/adduser since SU does not appear to override the linux equivalent of the DOS "path" environment variable setting for my login with root's "path".

So I tried again logging in as root and the problem still exists even after I userdel -r xxxxxx, ELS still reports the user xxxxxx as "already exists" although userdel again says user xxxxxx does not exist

I also tried a totally new user with pretty much the same result except the "already exists" part.

Btw, just a small cosmetic typo highlighted there "enetered"

When I use the script to install CHKROOTKIT, I got this error:

chkwtmp.c:95: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'

Also the script cannot force SSH to Protocol 2.

Also got the following warnings when securing tmp folder:

mv: cannot overwrite directory '/tmp_backup'
mv: cannot overwrite directory '/tmp'
mv: cannot remove '..' : Is a directory
You should check '/etc/fstab' before you reboot your system!

Should I be concerned about the above?

Last edited:
using els --wheeluser doesn't appear to work on my Centos 5 server.

specifically the error appears to be

When the error first occurred, I was SU'd in so I thought it was because els cannot find /usr/sbin/adduser since SU does not appear to override the linux equivalent of the DOS "path" environment variable setting for my login with root's "path".

So I tried again logging in as root and the problem still exists even after I userdel -r xxxxxx, ELS still reports the user xxxxxx as "already exists" although userdel again says user xxxxxx does not exist

I also tried a totally new user with pretty much the same result except the "already exists" part.

Btw, just a small cosmetic typo highlighted there "enetered"

It does not work on my Fedora Core 4 server either.

After I installed APC, I got this error:

Starting httpd: PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './apc/apc.so' - ./apc/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

What should I do?

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: open(/tmp/sess_b1c9d964f784ef122e2a33aacdc1b089, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 44

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 44

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php:44) in /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin-2.10.1-all-languages/index.php on line 101

I also have the same problems but I'm in SquirrelMail

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_b73e164cd0cf69e2f2e00bc4d7a8e0e7, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php on line 405

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php:405) in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php on line 405

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php:405) in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php on line 405

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php:405) in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/i18n.php on line 335

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/functions/global.php:405) in /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/src/login.php on line 64

After I installed APC, I got this error:

Starting httpd: PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './apc/apc.so' - ./apc/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

What should I do?

Set "extension_dir" to /usr/local/lib/php.

When I re-run els --eaccelerator, I got this error:

Starting httpd: PHP Fatal error: [Zend Optimizer] Zend Optimizer 3.2.6 is incom patible with eAccelerator 0.9.5 in Unknown on line 0
[FAILED]

And I cannot restart apache!

Please help!

Now I am trying to run els --zendopt, hoping to get the most updated Zend Optimizer that is compatible with eAccelerator 0.9.5

Don't know if this helps!

Try Zend Optimizer 3.2.8 and eAccelerator 0.9.5.1.

But your script only allows me to install Zend Optimizer 3.2.6 and eAccelerator 0.9.5. You mean I have manually install them?

Another question...

When I run els --doapache2 I got a full list of the els commands, as if I were typing els --help. Does this mean I am already running Apache 2? I remember I am running apache 1.3. I just upgraded to the most updated version of DirectAdmin. Did this DA upgrade also upgrade apache? But I run a simple info.php script and it shows this:

SERVER_SIGNATURE <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.selfwebhosting.ws Port 80</ADDRESS>

So this indicates I am running Apache 1.3.34 - then how come I cannot upgrade to Apache 2 with your script?

No, both Zend Optimizer 3.2.8 and eAccelerator 0.9.5.1 are allowed. About "doapache2", it's "daapache2" and fixed in 2.1.0.16.

No, both Zend Optimizer 3.2.8 and eAccelerator 0.9.5.1 are allowed. About "doapache2", it's "daapache2" and fixed in 2.1.0.16.

But how do I upgrade them with your script?

I run els --daapache2 and this is the error I got:

/usr/local/bin/els: line 3948: dododaap2: command not found

This is after I read your reply and typed els --update to download and install the most updated ELS. So what should I do now.

Do "els --update" again.

Thank you for the quick response. I just updated.

Now what about the Zend Optimizer 3.2.8 and eAccelerator 0.9.5.1 update? How should I do it? Run "els --all" or run "els --zendopt" and then "els --eaccelerator"? Is this the right order?

Should I upgrade apache after or before? Which order gives me less headache?

Also, I would like to donate but I only have PayPal money. Do you have a PayPal account?

There is no difference what to run and when :) "els --all" will ask you for some questions, so the faster way is to run "els --zendopt" and "els --eaccelerator".

P.S. I only have moneybookers, epassporte, e-gold and my bank account. I have one man who can convert PayPal for me, but it's not an easy way to get money too :)

Back