Enquiry on Package Updates on CentOS 8

ccto

Verified User
Hello,

Do you have package update(s) available in CentOS 8?

I run yum check-update or dnf check-update , but no update (seems over 1 month) already? Looks curious.

[root@xxx log]# yum clean metadata
Cache was expired
25 files removed

[root@xxx log]# yum check-update
CentOS-8 - AppStream 794 kB/s | 6.3 MB 00:08
CentOS-8 - Base 5.3 MB/s | 7.9 MB 00:01
CentOS-8 - Extras 5.2 kB/s | 2.1 kB 00:00
virtio-win builds roughly matching what was shi 1.4 kB/s | 3.7 kB 00:02

[root@xxx log]#

Thank you
Regards
George

I am running CentOS 8 on a DA KVM VPS. It has been running 9 days without any problems.

Just check your OS
# cat /etc/centos-release

If it is the same as mine, then your upto date

CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:8
Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-80.11.2.el8_0.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64

I sure I had some updates when I installed CentOS 8

Last edited:
My concern is no update over 1 month (perhaps 2 month too), is it normal?

(Normally, from my past experience, there are a few package updates available every week in CentOS 6, CentOS 7)

My concern is -
do other people have the same situation? Or is my yum/dnf configuration issue..

Yes, this is normal. The reason is that they are working on CentOS 8.1, and until CentOS 8.1 is released, there will be no new updates to CentOS 8.0.

To be more spesific, when RedHat 8.1 was released, and then as soon as CentOS devs started working on CentOS 8.1, at that point there would be no more updates to CentOS 8.

We all have to wait for CentOS 8.1, but the good news is, that it should be released very soon now. Here is status (at the bottom of the page): https://wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8.x

If it is the same as mine, then your upto date

CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:8
Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-80.11.2.el8_0.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64

This is not true.
If you are on 1905, there is a bug and you cannot update without running the following command first:

dnf install -y centos-release-stream

and then dnf update

Confirmation if someone could clear that up would be excellent. This mailing list announcement seems to make it clear they are distinct installs:

I've been told that if you aren't using Stream, the commands do not need to be run.
But I was not getting any updates at all for almost 2 months now so I assumed it applied to everyone on 1905.
If you run the command (dnf install -y centos-release-stream) your installation becomes a Stream installation. It's a rolling release CentOS pretty much, but still stable.

The information is in the CentOS forum. Please see: https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72492

If you are running a "normal" default CentOS 8 installation, you should not install centos-release-stream, also I would not recommend running any production server on centos-release-stream.

Just wait for CentOS 8.1 to be released, and not do something you will regret. :)

Is there already known a date, when CentoS8 will be released for production servers with Directadmin?

Greets

My server guy just told me this: "Directadmin not published the official release about centOS 8 for production server."

Is that wrong?

The requirements i have seen, thank you. But is there already a official released version of Centos8 for production server with DirectAdmin?

Otherwise i dont understand why my server technican is that "Directadmin not published the official release about centOS 8 for production server " telling to me...

Greets

Last edited:
Back