Error Restoring Converted cPanel Backup, Extreme Noob Alert

Skepweb

Verified User
I'm a total noob with DirectAdmin, refugee from cPanel, retired for 15 years, and having great difficulty trying to import my cPanel backups.
I'm very comfortable working in the CLI after over 25 years web hosting and using Linux exclusively at home.

Initially I broke three domains by relying on my old habits of moving files from public_html with rsync. Is it possible to get .htaccess to work again once it has not worked? Does it need unusual ownership or permissions under DirectAdmin. I made sure the files were all owned by the admin users account.
Do I need to chown .htaccess differently?

Trying a different approach.

I managed to do the needed installs and builds to convert a cPanel backup.

The quote below from the second post in https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/how-to-cpanel-to-da-migration.58059/ confused me mightily.
"3) Restore...(don't forget to set the path to /home/admin/converted_user_backup, otherwise you won't see the backup)"
After puzzling over it for a while I discovered the answer when I proceeded to start the restore without first setting the path.

When I select the converted backup user.admin.xxxxx.tar the process begins and after a short wait this error message appears:
"Ftp: Invalid path: /etc/apache2/logs/domlogs/xxxxx: belowHomePath:xxxxx: /etc/apache2/logs/domlogs/xxxxx does not start with /home/xxxxx

The expected domain does not appear in the list of domains.

I have no clue how to approach this.

I am using the normal daily backup files from this same server before it was formatted and loaded with Alma Linux.
I did use the script in the thread linked above to convert the filenames to the cpmove-* names expected by the conversion script.

I have about 20 more domains to import, but I want one to work first. My age is making it more difficult to wrap my head around
the way DirectAdmin handles web content. I'm sure I'll love it once I get there.

I tried another domain and I get the same error. I've extracted the first tarball I tried and can not find any references to files in /etc.

Attachments

• error-import.jpg
    error-import.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8
Upon further examination I found a second tarball inside the tar.gz cPanel backup file (home.tat) . That tarball did contain files
with the path starting /etc

Back