[How-To] Add DirectAdmin current admin backup/restore cloud support

Interesting. I've heard great reviews from BackBlaze. Glad to see the speed issue solved. Have you tried running the OneDrive backup with -vv flag? It enables full DEBUG logging that helps a lot identifying issues. You might be getting throttled. Did you create your own client id for OneDrive?

See this thread for my rclone implementation; I'm hoping to have a simple configuration and store release done this week (may release it, may not) but perhaps will wait to see if I can pull together the brain power needed to offer restore as well, which would be the next major milestone. One thing I have noticed is that config is often done via opening a web browser from command prompt, not something you can replicate remotely. So it will be mostly an S3 implementation.

Anyhow, show some love on the thread or by liking my posts (y)

Reactions: jca
See this thread for my rclone implementation; I'm hoping to have a simple configuration and store release done this week (may release it, may not) but perhaps will wait to see if I can pull together the brain power needed to offer restore as well, which would be the next major milestone. One thing I have noticed is that config is often done via opening a web browser from command prompt, not something you can replicate remotely. So it will be mostly an S3 implementation.

Anyhow, show some love on the thread or by liking my posts (y)
On top of my mind you could create your own config file and pass it over when running rclone commands.

For backup you could simply use move/copy as required. For restore you could either use a path and mount the partition there to see the content, or you could use ls commands to read the contents of remote and pull via copy commands over to local storage for restore. I believe there is even a stream function you could use to pass the information over to tar and directly uncompress without having the file locally and not using mount.

Interesting. I've heard great reviews from BackBlaze. Glad to see the speed issue solved. Have you tried running the OneDrive backup with -vv flag? It enables full DEBUG logging that helps a lot identifying issues. You might be getting throttled. Did you create your own client id for OneDrive?
Yes @jca! BlackBlaze is fast! Last night I copied 70gb in 60 min. But I want to make it work with at least 2 cloud services.
Onedrive is getting throttled. That is for shure. I will try your -vv flag and see what is going on.
I create my own Id and secret following https://rclone.org/onedrive/#getting-your-own-client-id-and-key steps.

Reactions: jca
On top of my mind you could create your own config file and pass it over when running rclone commands.

For backup you could simply use move/copy as required. For restore you could either use a path and mount the partition there to see the content, or you could use ls commands to read the contents of remote and pull via copy commands over to local storage for restore. I believe there is even a stream function you could use to pass the information over to tar and directly uncompress without having the file locally and not using mount.
Indeed, it’s not *that* complicated. Only bug I have come across is the need to open browser from the command line. Obviously we can’t do that. But there are enough S3 providers to accommodate our needs so just implementing the features now. It has been a bit of a learning curve, especially with the config element but who cares, clear now!

Indeed, it’s not *that* complicated. Only bug I have come across is the need to open browser from the command line. Obviously we can’t do that. But there are enough S3 providers to accommodate our needs so just implementing the features now. It has been a bit of a learning curve, especially with the config element but who cares, clear now!

Interesting... Did https://rclone.org/gui/ ever help out on using Rclone own GUI? I've personally never used it so can't say how robust is it.

Thank you very much @jca !

I asked about DA encryption + Rclone encryption because when I encrypt a backup file with DA, when I want to restore it, the file *.tar.gz.enc is not visible from Restore list. With Rclone encrypt would be enough?

Now I am testing Onedrive with my personal account, later I am going to use one entire account (1tb) for this backups.
And one per month backup over BackBlaze.

I am looking for good practice about cloud backups.
What do you recommend me?

As I understand from here: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/how-to-restore-encrypted.57906/ when you encrypt backup file, you need to decrypt it manually to show it on the list. Directadmin use this file (OPENSSL) to encrypt backup file: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/encrypt_file.sh and you can decrypt it using this: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/decrypt_file.sh

Code:
./decrypt_file.sh <encryptedin> <fileout> <passwordfile>

I think there should be an option to decrypt this file in the DA page but this is a missing feature.

Last edited:
Back