How-to: cPanel to DA migration

bug with the restore, i manage to make it work, but all A records points to old server and ip was not converted

bug with the restore, i manage to make it work, but all A records points to old server and ip was not converted

Are you sure "Use IP stored in backup" wasn't selected when you restored it? :) Thank you.

After doing hand migrations of certain sites, I decided to test the built-in migration and so far so good. I did notice a couple of things that may have been brought up before:

1) Roundcube doesn't get the user's contacts list or the user's Display Name or Signature. Email migrates (IMAP), folders, etc. but the actual webmail information is gone. Might have to do a backup of this separately beforehand? I don't know too much about Roundcube except that it "won" over Squirrelmail I think in popularity. I don't have too many strictly webmail users, but they're going to wonder what happened to their settings and I need to learn enough about it to make that happen.

2) The DNS zone transfers seem to keep the NS settings strings as the old value. I am not sure if it's related to just a certain package or group of accounts, but so far every transfer I've done I have had to grep -R in the named/ directory to see which zones still had ns1/ns2.my-old-cpanel.org.

3) I think the SpamAssassin initial setup (custombuild?) folder specifies "spam" where I think most cPanel is now using "Junk?" I would need to double check the spam paths verses how clients are using their junk setup. I usually keep SA set to always deliver into user's spam box, but I think on cPanel the "spam" is "junk" -- wonder how Mac Mail and Outlook handle this. I migrated an email over in my Mac Mail email client and pushed an instant DNS change as if it was propagated already, and my client I think has a different IMAP structure. I need to do more checking of settings for this email.

4) There is a lot of trash leftover from cPanel way of things, like LetsEncrypt. I find clearing out my old .well-known and .user.ini and some other files like .htaccess, etc. You really forget how much crap cPanel sticks in your files until you do your first WordPress migration and try to set new PHP options, only to realize you have leftover cPanel trash mucking it up. I had a good battle with WP Super Cache over this, not really DA-related but be prepared to delete more than you edit. Seems cPanel leaves gifts behind.

1) RoundCube data should be migrated, if you used native (integrated) restore method. May you send us cpmove file to check?
2) Is "restore with local nameservers" selected in ""Backup/Restore Settings" ?
3) This could be changed in the configuration files, we could provide you instructions if needed.
4) Not much we can do there, we wouldn't like to play with files inside public_html, as these are not just 'config' files :)

Thank you for the feedback!

Will there be an option to move the accounts without much downtime?
The problem is, especially with large accounts, that changes to the data on the cPanel server occur during converting. Of course we could disable the cPanel account during the convertion, but that's not ideal either.

Possibly an initial sync and then another one in which only changes are transferred and the databases.

Current plans are to speed the current process (restore from cpmove-user.tar.gz) soon. Regarding rsync/mysqldump-restore after restoration of skeleton - it's still a discussion thing.

Many budget hosting providers that offered cPanel restrict the way you can backup your account. Yes, you're a WHM user, but you cannot generate the "cpmove" file or execute pkg acct.

You can only do a "Full Backup" (backup-file, not cpmove-file) and if I recall, this doesn't include all the permissions/ownership for a proper restore?

What do we do with accounts that only have a backup file of say backup-7.7.2019_10-42-29_user.tar (cPanel web interface backup) instead of cpmove-user?

Good question.

1) RoundCube data should be migrated, if you used native (integrated) restore method. May you send us cpmove file to check?
3) This could be changed in the configuration files, we could provide you instructions if needed.
4) Not much we can do there, we wouldn't like to play with files inside public_html, as these are not just 'config' files :)

Thank you for the feedback!

The backup file was generated from cPanel "Full Backup" style backup-7.9.2019_00-53-41-user.tar.gz.

I moved the file to correct its name to cpmove-user.tar.gz and started the restore (admin/converted_user_backups):

cp backup-7.9.2019_00-53-41_user.tar.gz cpmove-user.tar.gz

Then I transfer that file to my DirectAdmin server under the converted backups directory.

Reload Files
/home/admin/converted_user_backups
Use the IP (from the list)
Select cpmove-user.tar.gz
Restore (Restores added to Queue)

I get a message moments later saying that my Admin Restore was completed -- Your User files have been restored

I refresh the whole browser (not just DA window Back button) after checking and erasing the backup successful message:

User user.oldserv.user.tar.gz has been restored (oldserv was the cPanel account owner, user was the domain/user name, looks correct!)
The User files have been restored from /home/admin/converted_user_backups

I go back to the main DirectAdmin window (DirectAdmin logo link), and now I go All Users, and I see the user 0 B bandwidth, 0 B disk usage (probably hasn't calculated yet since it's brand new restore?). I edit the account and assign it a package (the account is restored with a blank package likely because it doesn't know what package to give it now from DA). So after I Modify user and set package, make sure it has all the things it had before on cPanel (SSL, SpamAssassin of course.., enough resources, etc.).

Now I go back out, and login as my newly migrated user in DirectAdmin. I go into email, all the emails are there and space is looking good. It's time to check an email account that was in cpmove file. Since I don't have the domain name servers updated, and I don't keep the user's passwords, I am going to Edit password of one "busy" Roundcube user I know has contacts, signature, etc. setup already.

I set a new password for this email user...
Your account guy@usersite .com has been changed.
your new password is: *****
your new quota is: unlimited
your new send limit is: 500

When I go into my.servername/webmail and I'm presented with Roundcube, I enter full email and the new pass and I log in successfully.

I am presented with a blank setup -- for example, there's no contacts, no signature, no display name, I know for certain I changed the date to show "AM" and that's not set. The emails and IMAP folders appear okay, but no Roundcube settings. All my migrating cPanel users are strictly Roundcube, so I have only Roundcube set to On (not sure if that helps anything).

Any thoughts? I can leave my original files up if you'd like to take a look, or if you have any suggestions please let me know. This would be considered the "final piece" to me migrating everyone I have from cPanel to DirectAdmin, is the Roundcube / Email / Mail Quotas calculation working on 2nd drive (home02).

I likely won't respond to this message for a while, after putting in a 19-hour day today and it's already 2:24 AM local time. Looking forward to your input regarding the missing Roundcube options.

Good question.

Just for reference, I have realized that the "Reseller Backups" so to speak on cPanel where you don't get the WHM specific option to do backup/restores, if you are able to do a Full Backup in cPanel and you're presented with 'backup-timestamp-user.tar.gz," you can rename it simply cpmove-user.tar.gz and everything SHOULD be exactly the same for this type of migration.

In fact, I have already migrated websites from "locked down" master reseller accounts and the EIG companies of the world that restrict backup access to hold you hostage. Learning that I could simply rename the file was definitely a great tip.

Almost forgot to address these specifically:

I have Use NS values from backup checked. Should I change this and note in the future to use Restore with local Name Servers...? Here are my full backup/restore settings:

(Checked)
* Use NS values from backup
* Restore with SPF values from backup
* On restore, check for domain conflict
directadmin.conf values (checked):
backup_ftp_pre_test
tally_after_restore
backup_hard_link_check

I'd be more than happy to delete the backup and try again with adjusted settings. In fact, I haven't spent much time in that window (Backup/Restore Settings), and I may need to adjust my other servers to follow what you may suggest next.

Almost forgot to address these specifically:

I have Use NS values from backup checked. Should I change this and note in the future to use Restore with local Name Servers...? Here are my full backup/restore settings:

(Checked)
* Restore with SPF values from backup
* On restore, check for domain conflict
directadmin.conf values (checked):
backup_ftp_pre_test
tally_after_restore
backup_hard_link_check

I'd be more than happy to delete the backup and try again with adjusted settings. In fact, I haven't spent much time in that window (Backup/Restore Settings), and I may need to adjust my other servers to follow what you may suggest next.

(Weird, this is the 2nd time I posted... I swear sometimes when I reply and fail CAPTCHA too many times, it holds the post for moderation / post disappears? Very odd.... 2nd, 3rd time this has happened today) I hope I'm not duplicate posting or breaking something..Maybe rate limit?

Any thoughts? I can leave my original files up if you'd like to take a look, or if you have any suggestions please let me know. This would be considered the "final piece" to me migrating everyone I have from cPanel to DirectAdmin, is the Roundcube / Email / Mail Quotas calculation working on 2nd drive (home02).

I likely won't respond to this message for a while, after putting in a 19-hour day today and it's already 2:24 AM local time. Looking forward to your input regarding the missing Roundcube options.

Regarding user usage - it's counted once every night, but you may run tally manually, if you'd like to see it immediately. It'd be great to check any of the cpmove files for RoundCube issues to see why your settings aren't migrated. Thank you!

(Checked)

(Weird, this is the 2nd time I posted... I swear sometimes when I reply and fail CAPTCHA too many times, it holds the post for moderation / post disappears? Very odd.... 2nd, 3rd time this has happened today) I hope I'm not duplicate posting or breaking something..Maybe rate limit?

It depends :) If you'd like to use exactly the same nameservers as your old server, then default settings are fine. If you'd like nameservers set on DA server to be used "Use NS values from backup" should be selected. Regarding captcha - it's just waiting for moderation, and we approve these manually. Thank you.

It depends :) If you'd like to use exactly the same nameservers as your old server, then default settings are fine. If you'd like nameservers set on DA server to be used "Use NS values from backup" should be selected. Regarding captcha - it's just waiting for moderation, and we approve these manually. Thank you.

Let me move this cpmove file to that user I created and send you a message to see if you can help figure out why my Roundcube settings go missing during restore. I'll message you in a moment -- thanks. Hopefully if you are able to see what's amiss and can report back with an update.

Like I said, everything else seems to transfer without an issue.

I restored successfully but in "Manage Reseller Packages" or " Manage User Packages" is empty. (No data to show).

What I need to import my all cpanel packages and how?

Hi
I see some issues restoring multiple backups to DA. (WP)
Error with query "CREATE USER 'user'@localhost" : Operation CREATE USER failed for 'user'@'localhost'
Unable to restore database user_wp725.sql to user_wp725 : ERROR 1273 (HY000) at line 25 in file: '/home/user/backups/backup/user_wp725.sql': Unknown collation: 'utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci'

Another problem that I have is with reseller packages. Each server has around 250 custom plans for our reseller. How I can improve this? I got an empty reseller list packages so, on migration the users are unlimited by default.

Best regards

Hi

Another problem that I have is with reseller packages. Each server has around 250 custom plans for our reseller. How I can improve this? I got an empty reseller list packages so, on migration the users are unlimited by default.

Best regards

I am also curious about this, although I think I've already migrated most of my packages by hand now (under 50 plans total, using side-by-side browsers).

I am also curious about this, although I think I've already migrated most of my packages by hand now (under 50 plans total, using side-by-side browsers).

I'll waiting for a reply regarding this too. This would be complex because we have seven servers with around 1000 reseller packages.
Just a question, are you moving manually each user to some package?

Regards

Hi

Error with query "CREATE USER 'user'@localhost" : Operation CREATE USER failed for 'user'@'localhost'
Unable to restore database user_wp725.sql to user_wp725 : ERROR 1273 (HY000) at line 25 in file: '/home/user/backups/backup/user_wp725.sql': Unknown collation: 'utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci'

Best regards

You need to upgrade MySQL on the DirectAdmin server to 5.7 or higher

Just a question, are you moving manually each user to some package?

For the past day or two I have been using the built-in cpanel-to-da tools on the latest RC. I think, literally just this morning there was another update. It's slowly getting better and better!

So, for most of my accounts I have been able to migrate my cpmove with these latest built-in DirectAdmin tools, and then I go back and assign the user an existing package that matches their old one because it was showing up as blank package. I don't think I've yet "fixed" the account owner/creator name (if I recall.. where it leaves the old cPanel value for reseller/owners..), but nearly all my sites now migrate 100% with no issues. Even complex WordPress sites move flawless as long as you have the required stuff compiled and you're using similar setup (like LiteSpeed cPanel to LiteSpeed DirectAdmin, etc.)

Many of my users are WordPress, and it's really nice having a little extra security option for scanning logs regarding WP security. Sure, there's plenty of plugins that exist for WordPress to protect itself, but it's really nice that DirectAdmin acknowledges what a PITA it is to keep a zillion WordPress sites free of hacks, and I trust anything scanned on the server-software level than a third party plugin running on the thing you want to protect in the first place! Really excited to see it in action and help make improvements and suggestions to it.

Making sure my various users WordPress plugins work (permissions correct, all required modules installed, etc.) are very important and so far it's been a breeze.

I'm also taking this time to jump another ship -- not only leaving cPanel, but we're leaving Softaculous behind (RIP Fantastico? What happened to them??), so instead of cPanel + Soft we're going full DirectAdmin + Installatron. They have maybe fewer apps, but they're more quality.

What I mean by this is, I know not all my users are going to want a full-blown WHMCS installation, or another copy of Roundcube (what the hell Soft? hehe). They're more basic, they want USER SCRIPTS not developer or enterprise scripts. Like a WordPress blog, or an online poll, or more file sharing, or a message board. They don't need to ever install Roundcube again, or need Postfix Admin, or unpopular "slim" blog apps (Sorry b2, egg, Dotclear, Leaf, FlatPress, LifeType... my clients barely keep up with WordPress!). Why do I need 70% of Softaculous to be idle and unused on all my servers because my clients don't use more than half of their products.

Not to get too off-topic, but speaking of Soft VS. Installatron, Softaculous base price direct from their website is $24/Year per dedicated ($12/Year VPS). Installatron base price is $50/Year per dedicated ($25/Year VPS). I think I'm done buying "lifetime" licenses. It's not really about saving money -- I want the support, and I want to support good developers. I can't imagine anyone running DirectAdmin from 3 years ago without seeing any new features just to save a few bucks. Pay these guys so you don't have to go back to Webmin like it's 1999. It's rare that a closed source company listens so closely to their user base. If I can run DirectAdmin for another 16 years like I previously ran cPanel/WHM, I'm going to be one really happy guy.

Where do I send bottles of champagne to? We're all going to need to celebrate: See Ya cPanel

Back