Main domain DNS

aED

Verified User
Hi Is it ok to have my main domain's DNS to be stored locally? because upon installation the local data tab at the DNS records sections is set to NO then I removed my domain and added it again and now the local data tab is now set to yes? Will there be any side effects of that setting to my DirectAdmin installation?

@scsi, the main domain most likely referrs to the server domain first set for the admin user.

@aED, what do you mean by the local data tab? To answer your question generally, it does not cause a problem to store DNS locally, even if it's incorrect, as long as you do NOT use your own server for recursive DNS lookup.

And you should not use your local DNS server for recursive DNS lookup. In fact to avoid the possibility of cache poisoning attacks, it shouldn't even be set to allow recursive DNS lookup.

We no longer supply recursive DNS servers; we set up our servers to use Google Public DNS.

This is a better solution for us than, for example, OpenDNS (which we still believe some people may want to use for desktop solutions), because it doesn't try to be helpful when you type in a nonexistent domain.

Jeff

Back