main user email (login) not working

This is the /etc/dovecot.conf

#0.1
## Dovecot 2.0 configuration file

!include conf/ip.conf

auth_username_chars = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@&
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
login_greeting = Dovecot DA ready.
mail_access_groups = mail
default_login_user = dovecot
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

!include conf/limits.conf

passdb {
driver = shadow
}

passdb {
args = username_format=%n /etc/virtual/%d/passwd
driver = passwd-file
}

!include conf/protocols.conf
!include conf/mail_plugins.conf

service auth {
user = root
}
service imap-login {
process_min_avail = 16
user = dovecot
}
service pop3-login {
process_min_avail = 16
user = dovecot
}

!include conf/ssl.conf

userdb {
driver = passwd
}
userdb {
args = username_format=%n /etc/virtual/%d/passwd
driver = passwd-file
}

verbose_proctitle = yes

protocol imap {
!include conf/imap_mail_plugins.conf
}

protocol pop3 {
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
pop3_logout_format = top=%t/%p, retr=%r/%b, del=%d/%m, size=%s, bytes=%i/%o
}

!include conf/mail_max_userip_connections.conf

!include_try conf/lmtp.conf

!include conf.d/*.conf

That looks fine, what about any entries in the logfile (/var/log/maillog)? That is the logfile for dovecot and there should be something in there about the authentication for that user.

That looks fine, what about any entries in the logfile (/var/log/maillog)? That is the logfile for dovecot and there should be something in there about the authentication for that user.

auth-worker(26624): Error: stats: open(stats-user) failed: Permission denied
Mar 27 03:43:24 server13 dovecot[18832]: auth-worker(26624): shadow([email protected],82.176.107.201): unknown user
Mar 27 03:43:24 server13 dovecot[18832]: auth-worker(26624): shadow([email protected],82.176.107.201): unknown user

thats my IP, while testing

I think this line tells us what the real issue is.
auth-worker(26624): Error: stats: open(stats-user) failed: Permission denied

Do you have SELinux enabled? I think that might be blocking what you need to authenticate this type of user.

Isn't that only stats for the user and only on Dovecot?
As far as I know the same problem occurs with Roundcube, that does not use Dovecot to log in or am I mistaken?
Maybe a look at:
/var/www/html/roundcube/logs/errors
might give some more insight.

Yes it is only for stats, but the permission denied is due to dovecot not having permissions to create the socket file. From my reading, that can happen when SELinux is enabled. I wouldn't doubt SELinux might also deny it from access /etc/shadow either with is required to authenticate the real users vs virtual users. Just something else to check.

[31-Mar-2016 21:12:14 +0000]: <40708c0d> IMAP Error: Login failed for marjan from 82.176.107.201. AUTHENTICATE PLAIN: Authentication failed. in /var/www/html/roundcubemail-1.1.4/program/li$
A part of the roundcube errors in /var/www/html/roundcube/logs/errors

[02-Apr-2016 20:40:01 +0200]: <3m2hgjc4> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxxxl from 82.176.107.201. AUTHENTICATE PLAIN: Authentication failed. in /var/www/html/roundcubemail-1.1.$
[02-Apr-2016 20:40:25 +0200]: <dao85vbb> IMAP Error: Login failed for xxxxx from 82.176.107.201. AUTHENTICATE PLAIN: Authentication failed. in /var/www/html/roundcubemail-1.$

Thats my IP btw

Still looks like username/pass problem. But in fact in can't be because you checked that several times, right?
Ty this:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./set_permissions.sh email

Same error also still on outlook after this?

One more thing to try is to set:
auth_debug=yes
or even:
auth_debug_passwords=yes
in your dovecot.conf and restart dovecot, then look at your /var/log/maillog to see what it says about that user trying to login.

Just remember for a real user, you log in without the @domainname part.

You can see some other logging options on http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Logging and you may want to temporarily set one of the even more verbose logging options until you can figure this out.

No, all mail works fine, can login into dovecot, and outlook is working fine too, except the main user (reseller user) cannot login , or receive mail, in outlook i get password prompt set it up s user@domain and pass, in roundcube is login only user name and pass which not work, also tried user@domain, not work either

I do not know, i guess ./set_permissions.sh email did the trick!!

I am able to login into roundcube now as reseller user!!

I know this is an old topic but I"m having this issue too. DA automatically creates an [email protected] account... This is the account I want to use for email. I am not able to log in to this email account from anywhere.... squirrlemail, roundcube, rainloop, my iOS devices.... all give me invalid username or password. But if I create an email address, those log in just fine.

I know this is an old topic but I"m having this issue too. DA automatically creates an [email protected] account... This is the account I want to use for email. I am not able to log in to this email account from anywhere.... squirrlemail, roundcube, rainloop, my iOS devices.... all give me invalid username or password. But if I create an email address, those log in just fine.

You should be able to login as "admin" there, without using that domainname.com ending. On new installations [email protected] should work just fine. If you want to make it work on your own system - please apply:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin set system_user_to_virtual_passwd 1
service directadmin restart
echo "action=rewrite&value=email_passwd" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d

That's it :)

Back