MariaDB switch to MySQL 8 issues

V4mpireuk

Verified User
Hi,

Running CentOS 8.

I've just installed a new server and found it had MariaDB, I switched this out and installed MySQL, I had to change the root password for MySQL as this wouldn't work for anything on directadmin, had to create the da_admin user, had to fight with the validate password policy, then had to do the same for da_roundcube.

I tried to restore an admin backup from another server(which is how i found the da_admin and da_roundcube were missing), however I get a massive list for all the databases it has:

Unable to add user admin_ftp. Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements
Can't add user admin_ftp to admin_ftp: Unable to add user admin_ftp. Your password does not satisfy the current policy requirements

various one's like that and unable to alter user admin all for the reason not meeting policy requirements, I have also lowered the settings to the lowest possible settings to no avail, how would I get around this as it seems to not like databases that were created running on a CentOS 7 server with MySQL 5.7, I would also like to mention that the random generated passwords directadmin creates on setup of things for example da_roundcube account doesn't even meet the requirements, which forced me to lower the policy restrictions just to properly setup roundcude.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been through all the log files and google searches and looked through these forums and come up at a loss right now.

Regards,

V4mpire

V4mpireuk

Verified User
Just for confirmation, the Low setting works to create new passwords, but for restore, i get the errors mentioned that it doesn't meet the requirements, I have also confirmed that the passwords for the accounts have suitable passwords that meet the requirements for LOW, yet fail for restore saying it doesn't meet the requirements

V4mpireuk

Verified User
I ended up accidentally making a mistake on the re-partitioning and the recovery of the system failed so was unable to fix, so just reinstalled manually so i could set my own partitioning on install and now it works without issues with mysql, no idea what the problem was in the end