Need your suggestion - Installation

technoredac

Verified User
Hello ,

We have purchased a server with the following specifications.

CPU:Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 - 3.6 GHz - 6 core(s)
RAM:64GB - DDR4
Hard Drive(s):1x 1TB (SSD SATA)
Bandwidth:150TB @ 1Gbps

We would like to be able to split it in two, one part for Directadmin and the other part in reserve for lab testing.
We tried to install DirectAdmin under Proxmox in CT but it gives us a major problem at user creation.
''error with system quotas''

We have searched as much as we could on the problem but found nothing.
The question I have is?

Do you suggest creating a KVM under Proxmox or Vmware KVM.
I'm a little confused as to how I'm going to solve my problem without affecting the performance of the website I'm going to allocate.

Here is the image about Error with system quotas

1679015301328.png

Info :

When i type : cat /proc/mounts | grep ' / '
I have this result : /dev/mapper/pve-vm--101--disk--0 / ext4 rw,relatime,stripe=16 0 0

Thanks for all suggestion.

Last edited:
Try install it on proxmox not as CT, but as VM, yes proxmox will eat 2-5% of CPU resources to serve it - but you will have consistent snapshot that you can move to any new server. Also 1650v4 old CPU - there are many more powerful CPUs/servers with similar price.

Enable quotas on the / partition.

[root@srv01 ~]# apt-get install quotas

[root@srv01 ~]# cp -p /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak`date +%F`

[root@srv01 ~]# repquota -a

[root@srv01 ~]# sudo vi /etc/fstab/

/dev/mapper/VG_OS/lv_root / ext4 defaults,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,errors=remount-ro 1 1

[root@srv01 ~]# mount -o remount /

Last edited:
Enable quotas on the / partition.

/dev/mapper/VG_OS/lv_root / ext4 defaults,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,errors=remount-ro 1 1

This one was not workings at all :(

Try install it on proxmox not as CT, but as VM, yes proxmox will eat 2-5% of CPU resources to serve it - but you will have consistent snapshot that you can move to any new server. Also 1650v4 old CPU - there are many more powerful CPUs/servers with similar price.
On KVM it was working great.
The only things stop me it's cause on cpu name in directadmin it's generic.

I trying google for you. Could you check it from step this link?

I have many problem about Proxmox too, so I move away and use other virtualization.

I trying google for you. Could you check it from step this link?

I have many problem about Proxmox too, so I move away and use other virtualization.
This one was same things not working for me no worry i google everythings as possible.
But i want to know SolusVm is not working and same for Proxmox for me..

What is the other options for me ?

After following your advice.
I decided to create a VM and rebuild my machine with EXT4 for a fast file processing.
However, it seems that the CPU appears with this ( COMMON KVM PROCESSOR )
As I can do to display instead the model and brand of my cpu.
1679069260889.png

on creating VM, it should have option to select CPU type between "host" and "kvm64"( Default ).
It long time ago I used to play with Proxmox. So that why CPU information show as "Common KVM Processor".

maybe trying pick "host" as CPU type.

Hi. Follow step number 8:

8. Creating a virtual machine.

On the CPU tab, enter the number of cores and physical CPUs you want the virtual machine to have access to. Also, make sure to change the CPU type. We strongly recommend you really consider your CPU type as this has a high impact on the performance of your VM. In most cases, selecting “host” will result in the maximum performance[2]. For more information about CPU types, please visit the Proxmox wiki[3]. Once you are done click “next”.

Now ssh into the host and enable quotas in /etc/fstab/

I recommend:

/dev/sda1 /boot ext4 defaults,ro,noatime,nosuid,noexec,nodev 1 2 (500MB)
/dev/mapper/VG_OS/lv_root / ext4 defaults,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,errors=remount-ro 1 1 (The rest space)
/dev/mapper/_VG_OS/lv_swap swap swap sw 0 0 (For DirectAdmin)

Last edited:
Back