nginx 1.22.0 - 24 May 2022 (including security fix)

An update would be good here because of the security fixes and it supports PCRE2 library too now.

nginx-1.22.0 stable version has been released, incorporating new features and bug fixes from the 1.21.x mainline branch

Nginx uses "Mainline" versions throughout the year and once every year release a "stable" version with all the new features / fixes from the Mainline branch. So I think if you have 1.21.6 you already have the latest version, just a version number / branch change. Very soon the development of the new mainline branch starts and the cycle repeats every year.

1.21.6 already supports PCRE2:

Changes with nginx 1.21.5 28 Dec 2021

*) Change: now nginx is built with the PCRE2 library by default.

You can see it in the changelog:

Changes with nginx 1.22.0 24 May 2022

*) 1.22.x stable branch.

Changes with nginx 1.21.6 25 Jan 2022

*) Bugfix: when using EPOLLEXCLUSIVE on Linux client connections were
unevenly distributed among worker processes.

*) Bugfix: nginx returned the "Connection: keep-alive" header line in
responses during graceful shutdown of old worker processes.

*) Bugfix: in the "ssl_session_ticket_key" when using TLSv1.3.

No new changes / features.

What version are you running now? 1.21.6 is the latest in CustomBuild. A few years ago they switched from stable to mainline.

Last edited:
You are right, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for this. So this means, the "without PCRE2" part on compilation can be removed again by DA team, right? I think it was added because the support was missing before. Right now, I can't check if it's still there because I thought I saw it some days ago but I can't edit the Nginx compile options when I'm using Apache2+Nginx, right? Looks like it's missing from "Customize Compilation" tab of CustomBuild v2.

Code:
2855 - Use PCRE2 by default for nginx builds.

It is now used by default, see the changelog: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/changelog.60248/

So if you rebuild Nginx right now, PCRE2 is used (y) I don't know when this was changed exactly because the date isn't mentioned, but CB is now at rev. 2857 so this was changed very recently.

I don't expect 1.22.0 is going to be added, but the new mainline version will when this comes out. If there are issues or security fixes and you don't want to wait you can just download the tar.gz file from the Nginx website and use custom_versions.txt to install it.

Last edited:
Just tested it and it works without issues here;

Code:
checking for PCRE2 library ... found
checking for OpenSSL library ... found
checking for zlib library ... found
creating objs/Makefile

Configuration summary

+ using system PCRE2 library
  + using system OpenSSL library
  + using system zlib library

Back