overselling

Auto Install Scripts

Thanks Mark, this is really a nice system. Is there anything in the works for auto install of Scripsts like , phpbb, postnuke etc...

Again great looking CP.

Jim

Hi Jim,

There are *lots* of things in the works. It's just a matter of time and priorities. The most demanded feature right now is the FreeBSD port, followed by the user jail/chroot system. Scripts will be coming, but no ETA right now.

Mark

Is it possible to disable the ability for resellers to oversell?

What happens when accounts reach their bandwidth limit? Do they continue to go over the limit or do they get suspended somehow? Is there even a way to suspend a domain yet (I don't remember seeing it)?

I'm glad you asked about overselling, newpoint. I had completely forgotten to ask about that myself LOL

And, Nice to see Dathorn here! Welcome Andrew!!!

Dathorn_Andrew,

There is nothing to stop overselling, but resellers can't use the overselling feature to get more space/bandwidth/features than the Admin has allowed them. For example, a Reseller could be given 100 MySQL databases and then assign 500 databases to each of his customers. However, the second 100 databases are used, no more can be created.

When an account reaches its bandwidth limit, it becomes automatically suspended and the control panel / web server no longer functions for that user.

DirectAdmin has a notification mechanism that will warn users/resellers before this becomes a problem. This way they have time to purchase more bandwidth/space/features from their host before anything happens to their account.

You can suspend individual users. It is under the "List / Modify Accounts" feature in the Reseller panel.

Mark

Glad to hear about the account being suspended part, though some may not like it.

You might want to consider adding an option to change whether or not a domain is suspended when it reaches it's bandwidth limit and an option to enable/disable the ability to oversell.

Glad to hear about the account being suspended part, though some may not like it.

True, but DirectAdmin will message/e-mail them when they reach approximately 75% of their bandwidth quota. It will also contact the Reseller/Admin. We took steps to ensure that everyone is notified before any problems arise.

You might want to consider adding an option to change whether or not a domain is suspended when it reaches it's bandwidth limit and an option to enable/disable the ability to oversell.

Those are features that can be added. Bandwidth (transfer) is the biggest expense for hosts, so most would prefer the automatic suspension (imagine someone pulling gigs of transfer per hour with a warez site). The same goes with overselling. If a Reseller assigns 10 databases to each user, and nobody actually uses them, then these databases are pretty much wasted.

Thanks for your interest!

Mark

Disabling the overselling feature is a big point with us and is likely the only thing holding us back from using your control panel entirely to replace cPanel. A lot of the well known hosts on WHT don't allow overselling, I know we don't and HTTPme doesn't off of the top of my head. Not only can it be a burden on the system it can really change the business plan of a company if you really start to get into it.

Regardless, I'm having a spare server setup and we will be purchasing a license to further test out the system. With a little luck and the disabling of overselling feature added, we would gladly move away from the horror story that is cPanel.

DirectAdmin is going to give cPanel a well over due wake up call. No stability, no security, no support. Better yet, they have been having issues with their licensing system and it keeps expiring our licenses. Wonderful ;)

We've been looking around for a good alternative for a long time now. Not a single one of them could even come close as we need a lot of the same features, just not coded so damn poorly. cPanel is just a bunch of code tossed together here and there. DA is going to change all of that hopefully!

Having only been a reseller up to this point, I haven't had to deal with most of those problems.

But, when I tried to create a subdomain for one of my customers under cPanel/WHM I knew I was in for trouble. I have as of yet to get subdomains to work. And, after visiting cpanel's forums I found I'm not the only one.

Maybe I'm wrong but subdomains are a basic part of hosting and if a panel can't handle that then there's a problem.

Now that I'm moving to my first dedicated machine, I'm glad I won't have to deal with the problems you are having with cPanel and licensing!

I have always wondered.. why does cPanel need WHM to do the same things that other panels do in one interface?? Why 2 interfaces?

Hope you are able to make the switch and eliminate your problems, Andrew. Knowing that you (Dathorn), being a very respected hosting company, are looking to switch proves to me I'm moving in the right direction by deciding to go with DirectAdmin on my first server! :)

Hello all,

Your request for the overselling option has been noted and should be available for the next release. This is estimated at about a week (or less). I'll also add the option to not suspend a reseller and his users when the reseller goes over his bandwidth limits.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

The option to enable or disable overselling is now available under the admin settings. Also, you now have the option to not suspend a Reseller and his Users when the Reseller goes over his bandwidth limits.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

The option to enable or disable overselling is now available under the admin settings. Also, you now have the option to not suspend a Reseller and his Users when the Reseller goes over his bandwidth limits.

John

Great, thanks!

Let me re-explain what I meant when I originally posted. What needs to be an option is that when ONE of a resellers domains/clients reaches their bandwidth limit then that ONE domain/client needs to be suspended. I would never let it suspend the entire reseller account. This is useful when coupled with overselling=off.

Sorry for digging up this old one. :)

How can I disable the auto suspend of a reseller account. If one of his customers is take al the bandwith the reseller is going to suspend and al other customers are also on suspend. How can I turn this off?

Thanks for any of your help.

Back