Solved OVH Internal License - Licensing error - license is expired

If the licensing server responds with transient license check failure: license is expired after restart (like in the example from @Shoplifter) this means completely different problem. The error means that license is no longer active (expired, not paid, cancelled, etc.). The problem can be fixed on the server by changing license key to a different license. Or by the license owner in the https://directadmin.com self service area.

Are you saying that licenses obtained through OVH are possibly not valid? If I check https://license.directadmin.com with my server IP it says it has a valid license.

What are the next steps for those of us in this situation?

Are you saying that licenses obtained through OVH are possibly not valid?
Yes, as the error says - they're expired. That's why we said from the beginning that a new license would solve the problem (however, there would be no way to get back to OVH license then).

I have a paid license at OVH and this is a license check.

ADMINISTRATOR what's wrong?

panel.vinao.pl

Sep 17 09:38:55 srv2.vinao.pl systemd[1]: Starting DirectAdmin Web Control Panel...
Sep 17 09:38:56 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: opening mysql database error=dial unix /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock: connect: con>
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: checking license error=transient license check failure: license is expir>
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: removed old sessions duration=749.614µs removed=0
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl systemd[1]: Started DirectAdmin Web Control Panel.
Sep 17 09:38:59 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: http: TLS handshake error from 45.77.35.77:49580: EOF source=stdlog
Sep 17 09:43:58 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: checking license error=transient license check failure: license is expir>
lines 1-8/8 (END)...skipping...
-- Journal begins at Tue 2024-09-17 07:44:02 CEST, ends at Tue 2024-09-17 09:46:26 CEST. --
Sep 17 09:38:55 srv2.vinao.pl systemd[1]: Starting DirectAdmin Web Control Panel...
Sep 17 09:38:56 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: opening mysql database error=dial unix /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock: connect: connection refused
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: checking license error=transient license check failure: license is expired
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: removed old sessions duration=749.614µs removed=0
Sep 17 09:38:57 srv2.vinao.pl systemd[1]: Started DirectAdmin Web Control Panel.
Sep 17 09:38:59 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: http: TLS handshake error from 45.77.35.77:49580: EOF source=stdlog
Sep 17 09:43:58 srv2.vinao.pl directadmin[1097]: checking license error=transient license check failure: license is expired

@vinao I see that it is already working for you. Did you buy a license or did ovh or directadmin fix the problem after you reported it?

OVH support is asking me to ask DA support for help

Hello Mr. XXXXXXXX,

thank you for contacting OVHcloud technical support.

Apparently there are issues with directadmin licences showing up as "expired" for some customers despite they are active on our end.
According to our department in charge for the licenses, there are no issues on our side, so you should be contacting DirectAdmin directly to dig this further.

If the error still persist or experiencing issues we recommend you to troubleshoot following these steps:

- https://docs.directadmin.com/directadmin/general-usage/licensing.html#license-expired

and send us the result to dig it further if necessary.

At your disposal

I run this command almost every hour:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/getLicense.sh 'MY_LICENSE_GOES_HERE' && systemctl restart directadmin && echo 'MY_LICENSE_GOES_HERE' > /usr/local/directadmin/conf/license.key && chmod 0600 /usr/local/directadmin/conf/license.key && systemctl restart directadmin

It is a bit weird that OVH asks the end-user to contact DA directly.
OVH bought the license from DA, so they should contact DA the solve the problem they are having.

If OVH is not helping, you as a end user should cancel (the license or the service in general) and buy a license directly from DA (and move your server to another provider).

All OVH licenses on our system are expired since 2024-09-09 and not paid for. We are not sure if this is intentional or by accident. We tried reaching out to OVH but received no response.

Purchasing a license directly from https://directadmin.com would allow you to use it on any server and with any provider and cancel at any time. But please keep in mind that OVH are selling legacy licenses with limited feature set. If you purchase and install a new standard license with full feature set the server will no longer be able to switch back to legacy OVH license.

I see two ways forward:
  • Push OVH to fulfill their obligations and give you a non expired license (or renew existing license).
  • Purchase a new license from directadmin.com and use OVH only for getting a private server (not for getting DA license).

The https://license.directadmin.com site only shows if a particular IP is tied to a license, the field "valid" is misleading because it does not show if license is expired or not.

All OVH licenses on our system are expired since 2024-09-09 and not paid for. We are not sure if this is intentional or by accident. We tried reaching out to OVH but received no response.

Purchasing a license directly from https://directadmin.com would allow you to use it on any server and with any provider and cancel at any time. But please keep in mind that OVH are selling legacy licenses with limited feature set. If you purchase and install a new standard license with full feature set the server will no longer be able to switch back to legacy OVH license.

I see two ways forward:
  • Push OVH to fulfill their obligations and give you a non expired license (or renew existing license).
  • Purchase a new license from directadmin.com and use OVH only for getting a private server (not for getting DA license).

The https://license.directadmin.com site only shows if a particular IP is tied to a license, the field "valid" is misleading because it does not show if license is expired or not.
If I remember correctly I received an email some time ago that OVH was planning to stop selling DA licenses. I can't find it but I had the idea existing licenses would be fine. I therefor think the lack of renewal (if so) is a mistake of their part & will be fixed. I'm trying to find the original mail tho. Anyone has that mail?

Good old OVH, never seems to amaze me........ If they were discontinuing selling licenses, they should communicate better with existing licenses way beforehand.....

From the very first response I received from the representative when I tried to contact OVH, I was already alerted to a potential issue.

The situation is now very complicated. For instance, I managed to renew one of my licenses for an additional 30 days (meaning it won't expire until December 2024)... In other words, they are selling licenses but not paying their suppliers.

As my colleague mentioned above, the most sensible course of action is to stop using OVH's services, as it seems like this ship is sinking and will likely take all my servers down with it. (Yes, I have other servers with OVH using cPanel as well).

Good old OVH, never seems to amaze me........ If they were discontinuing selling licenses, they should communicate better with existing licenses way beforehand.....
Since nothing solved my problem here, I immediately renewed the license (even though it only expires in November/24)
They are receiving payment normally for the renewal

I never had any issues with OVH. No downtime,... support could be more reactive but I have no support plan so hard for me to judge on that.
The times I did ask for support (invoice related) they handled it fairly.

I'm not 100% certain they discontinue the selling of DA licenses, it could have been a spam mail, maybe i misread it,... but I checked the website and on new dedicated server purchases they only seem to support cpanel and plesk now. But then the problem should have occured weeks ago, so doubt this is related

Since nothing solved my problem here, I immediately renewed the license (even though it only expires in November/24)
They are receiving payment normally for the renewal
Don't get it, you renewed the license in the OVH admin panel? -or- you took a license from directadmin directly?
I doubt option 1 will solve the problem

I never had any issues with OVH. No downtime,... support could be more reactive but I have no support plan so hard for me to judge on that.
The times I did ask for support (invoice related) they handled it fairly.

I'm not 100% certain they discontinue the selling of DA licenses, it could have been a spam mail, maybe i misread it,... but I checked the website and on new dedicated server purchases they only seem to support cpanel and plesk now. But then the problem should have occured weeks ago, so doubt this is related
I've been using OVH for many years and have rarely encountered any issues. My overall experience with them has been very positive.

However, this kind of problem doesn't seem fitting for a large data center. I have filters set up in my email to receive all communications from OVH, and I never received any notice about the non-renewal of the DA license, despite the fact that they stopped selling it.

Don't get it, you renewed the license in the OVH admin panel? -or- you took a license from directadmin directly?
I doubt option 1 will solve the problem

The issue I'm reporting in this discussion is related to the licenses I have with soyoustart and OVH.

I've been using OVH for many years and have rarely encountered any issues. The issue I'm reporting in this discussion is related to the licenses I have with soyoustart and OVH.

Me neither, no issues in the past. This is unfortunate indeed
You stated the below and i wanted to know if you renewed your license in the ovh admin panel, even if not expired yet, and if that fixed the problem :)

Me neither, no issues in the past. This is unfortunate indeed
You stated the below and i wanted to know if you renewed your license in the ovh admin panel, even if not expired yet, and if that fixed the problem
I renewed the license normally (paid), but it didn't solve the problem, it's still expired.

I renewed the license normally (paid), but it didn't solve the problem, it's still expired.
Thanks for your reply, so I won't be trying that :rolleyes:

I'll wait it out a few days... it is not really blocking me at the time but depending on the time it will take to resolve, what appears to be a global issue, it does raise some questions.

Back