Solved OVH Internal License - Licensing error - license is expired

I have bad experience with OVH, they kicked my server because it has old plan with 64 ips IPv4 without monthly payments there was just setup fee). And when they was resold - new heads want more money.. Also few my clients had issues with fire in their wooden DC. Thats why i prefer hetzner and scaleway (for bigger projects). Last 10 years no issues at all with Hetzner and Scaleway.

I have bad experience with OVH, they kicked my server because it has old plan with 64 ips IPv4 without monthly payments there was just setup fee). And when they was resold - new heads want more money.. Also few my clients had issues with fire in their wooden DC. Thats why i prefer hetzner and scaleway (for bigger projects). Last 10 years no issues at all with Hetzner and Scaleway.
IP's where converted to monthly payments, yes. but you could cancel the IP's.

In regards to the fire, they compensated the affected users for the inconvenience with +/- 6 months of free value, so as long as you had a backup you could take a server in another of their DC and use it 6 months without charge. If you lack a backup that might not seem much but backup backup backup...

Honestly, I believe this is a strategy between OVH and DA to force us to purchase the license directly from DA. It's strange that there's no response from OVH, and that DA, seeing the number of users experiencing the same issue, simply claims that OVH should solve the problem. Sorry, but I don't believe either of them. Neither has shown any real intention of resolving the issue, and both have only suggested buying the license directly from DA. In the end, they've succeeded with me; I can't keep making my clients wait. Today, I'll resolve the issue by purchasing the license for a month, and then I'll migrate from OVH to another provider and from DirectAdmin to another like CPanel or Plesk, because I can't afford to deal with these situations for so long without a response. I'm really very disappointed.

It's strange that there's no response from OVH, and that DA, seeing the number of users experiencing the same issue, simply claims that OVH should solve the problem.
What should DirectAdmin do if they see that their customers (in this case OVH) did not extend/pay for the licenses? I'm not sure.

OVH to another provider and from DirectAdmin to another like CPanel or Plesk,
Wouldn't this sound like a better "strategy"? 😅 As it's the decision you've made, and some others could make the same decision too, while DA is discontinued at OVH at all. WebPros is the single control panel company (owns cPanel and Plesk) which is offered by OVH. So, I wonder why you decided that it must be some special strategy between OVH and DA?

Honestly, I believe this is a strategy between OVH and DA to force us to purchase the license directly from DA. It's strange that there's no response from OVH, and that DA, seeing the number of users experiencing the same issue, simply claims that OVH should solve the problem. Sorry, but I don't believe either of them. Neither has shown any real intention of resolving the issue, and both have only suggested buying the license directly from DA. In the end, they've succeeded with me; I can't keep making my clients wait. Today, I'll resolve the issue by purchasing the license for a month, and then I'll migrate from OVH to another provider and from DirectAdmin to another like CPanel or Plesk, because I can't afford to deal with these situations for so long without a response. I'm really very disappointed.
I would't opt for a direct DA license either, other alternatives out there.

@SaKool i will not benefit OVH if you take your license directly from DA....
So it's strange if "they" will force you to take your license direct from DA.

Sure, DA would like your money, but on the other hand if OVH stopped paying them, than one hole will fill the other, and DA will not make money 2 times.

What should DirectAdmin do if they see that their customers (in this case OVH) did not extend/pay for the licenses? I'm not sure.
I checked the status of the DA license for the IP where it's running through https://license.directadmin.com/, and it says it's valid. If that's not the case, they should reflect the actual status. No one still knows what the issue is, whether the license we paid for through OVH is valid or not.
Wouldn't this sound like a better "strategy"? 😅 As it's the decision you've made, and some others could make the same decision too, while DA is discontinued at OVH at all. WebPros is the single control panel company (owns cPanel and Plesk) which is offered by OVH. So, I wonder why you decided that it must be some special strategy between OVH and DA?
The migration won't be a simple process; it will take time, and there will likely be setbacks, among many other issues. On the other hand, we will have to teach our clients how to use a new panel. Some, like myself—perhaps the minority—may be willing to go through the process, and I admit it might just be to express frustration. However, the reality is that most will choose to stay in their comfort zone.

@SaKool i will not benefit OVH if you take your license directly from DA....
So it's strange if "they" will force you to take your license direct from DA.

Sure, DA would like your money, but on the other hand if OVH stopped paying them, than one hole will fill the other, and DA will not make money 2 times.
The license I purchased through OVH, and which I have already paid for, costs a third of what it would cost to buy it directly from DA, which is why I'm saying this.

I'll take a DA standard license when you offer me the same deal as I had at OVH. I see no reason, except an ultimatum on the price, why OVH would suddenly stop directadmin licensing. And i see no reason why I should pay 4 times the price for the exact same thing. So yes, I love DA, the product but not the marketing strategy

OVH bought in bulk, so they get discount that they can also offer their clients :-)
Also, you might pay OVH, but if OVH doenst pay DA.

and it says it's valid
As mentioned by @fln, this is an old page, which just shows if that IP has any license assigned. It does not show if it is expired or not. Not all licenses are IP-bound, and for a license key this one can be used: https://licensing.directadmin.com/

The license I purchased through OVH, and which I have already paid for, costs a third of what it would cost to buy it directly from DA, which is why I'm saying this.
I've found the only reference on the internet about it: https://www.soyoustart.com/en/distributions/direct-admin.xml. Do you have more than 10 users and 50 domains on the server? If not - price seems to be similar for a Lite license?

Do you have more than 10 users and 50 domains on the server? If not - price seems to be similar for a Lite license?
Common, 2 users .. 20 domains. 10 users 50 domains...
I'm an individual and i have +350 domains, under different users (to keep track).
You're selling the 'personal plus' and 'lite' like a low budget hosting package.
DA is used to manage users and domains on a server or vps... have you ever seen a dedicated server with 20 domains on it LMAO

OVH bought in bulk, so they get discount that they can also offer their clients :-)
I'd like to note bulk discounts are available for everyone, up to -40% off :) It's counted from the number of licenses in a specific account. No need to be a DC for this. This step was taken in the past, as there were many "DCs" having 1-2 licenses in their accounts... New model works better for this.

We've tried to contact OVH in every way possible from our side, still no response about the issue. We aren't sure if this is intentional from their side (discontinuation of DA at OVH) or accidental.

I just found this statement from OVH at https://bare-metal-servers.status-ovhcloud.com/incidents/42jb5df1jn96

Identified

We would like to inform you that we are having an ongoing incident.
Our teams are working tirelessly to resolve this incident once and for all.

Start time : 17/09/2024 04:46 UTC
Service impact : Customers with a DirectAdmin licence may encounter problems during authentication.

As soon as the situation evolves or the incident is resolved, we will keep you informed.

Thank you for your understanding.
Posted 49 minutes ago. Sep 17, 2024 - 13:25 UTC
This incident affects: Licensing || All Services (Zone Europe, Zone APAC, Zone Canada).

I just found this statement from OVH at https://bare-metal-servers.status-ovhcloud.com/incidents/42jb5df1jn96

Identified

We would like to inform you that we are having an ongoing incident.
Our teams are working tirelessly to resolve this incident once and for all.

Start time : 17/09/2024 04:46 UTC
Service impact : Customers with a DirectAdmin licence may encounter problems during authentication.

As soon as the situation evolves or the incident is resolved, we will keep you informed.

Thank you for your understanding.
Posted 49 minutes ago. Sep 17, 2024 - 13:25 UTC
This incident affects: Licensing || All Services (Zone Europe, Zone APAC, Zone Canada).
great, tnx for the update! Good find

I contacted OVH as well and I was told that they know the issue. However no more information, they don't know much. They don't know if it's going to be resolved within hours or days. And that's it.

I understand this but the standard license is way too expensive compared to the bulk price offered. "Protection against price increases" as a selling argument... and 2 packages that are just unusable for anyone who's a bit of a webmaster or developer. If you only have 20 domain, you take a shared hosting where DA is installed already. Who in his right mind will set up a dedicated server for less then 20 domains, unless you're running X.

Back