Permission issues with Wordpress and default DirectAdmin install

Magistar

Verified User
My wordpress installs are having some issues on my new DirectAdmin server.

There are two problemes
-I cannot install/update unless I set all folders to 777 (instead of 755)
-Plugins like W3 totalcache are generating folders under the username "apache" instead of appropriate the directadmin user.

I have seen these exact issue at my previous host where I have a reseller DirectAdmin package. At that host switching to Php 5.4 solved these issues completely. Unfortantely my "own" DirectAdmin install is already using Php 5.4 by default.

I guess this is related to a php setting. But I have not been able to found out what/why.

Is there anyone that has experienced the same issue and knows how to solve it?

regards

My wordpress installs are having some issues on my new DirectAdmin server.

There are two problemes
-I cannot install/update unless I set all folders to 777 (instead of 755)
-Plugins like W3 totalcache are generating folders under the username "apache" instead of appropriate the directadmin user.

I have seen these exact issue at my previous host where I have a reseller DirectAdmin package. At that host switching to Php 5.4 solved these issues completely. Unfortantely my "own" DirectAdmin install is already using Php 5.4 by default.

I guess this is related to a php setting. But I have not been able to found out what/why.

Is there anyone that has experienced the same issue and knows how to solve it?

regards

edit: I found something called mod_rui2. Never heard of it. Is there a downside to using this (http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=37467)?

Last edited:
You 'only' need to 777 the cache-folder, and the 'uploads' folder down in wp-content. Nothing else.
I have a few WP installations on my vps and they seem to run without any issues this way.

mod_ruid2,
I've had it running for a very short while and I didn't need to 777 any folder anymore.
But due to other (unrelated) issues I had to revert to a backup before mod_ruid was activated and didn't reinstall it yet.

You 'only' need to 777 the cache-folder, and the 'uploads' folder down in wp-content. Nothing else.
I have a few WP installations on my vps and they seem to run without any issues this way.

mod_ruid2,
I've had it running for a very short while and I didn't need to 777 any folder anymore.
But due to other (unrelated) issues I had to revert to a backup before mod_ruid was activated and didn't reinstall it yet.
I have seen some issues with updating wordpress without 777 everywhere. Since I want my users to be able upgrade their wordpress I need to fix that :(.

What sort of issues did mod_ruid cause? Then I know what to look for.

I strongly suggest mod_ruid2 to solve the problem. Install CustomBuild to make everything easy :D.

Search these forums.

Jeff

What sort of issues did mod_ruid cause? Then I know what to look for.

You should use Custombuild 2 and either mod_php+mod_ruid2 or php-cgi (php-fcgi, php-fpm, suphp). The forums have enough information on any of them, so please search function.

Back