Pricing changes/updates as of July 1, 2019 (No, we aren't raising our prices)

The lite license is not ment for commercial use but for personal hobby use, but nobody knows exactly what it will be. But it will probably not be expandable with extra domains for a certain cost.

Problem is that you have to take what is present, with most panels. So in this case the yearly DA license will be most fitting probably. It's $200 a year, so calculated per month it's just under $17 a month. This is a full license with unlimited domains.

Not anymore id don't know why it has changed after anouncement that was diferent from wat it is now in prices, if known upfront....

(No, we aren't raising our prices)
????

ThisIsWhatINeed and ikkeben,

I too have been demoing DirectAdmin with the expectation to be able to purchase the $299 lifetime license, and then pay $99 a year for continued support and updates.

I raised a support ticket when I noticed that the package had gone (instead of posting here). I've suggested that they ought to update this thread with what's going on, but here's a response from support to my query about what happened to the lifetime license.

Hello, it was suddenly removed from the site but we can offer it until our Sept 1 hard deadline. There are some problems with the product, including security risks of people running old versions to save on money. But this is highly dangerous, it increases the odds of an old server being a risk to itself or other servers on the net. So if you would like this license, we cannot promise that the update fee would be optional

ThisIsWhatINeed and ikkeben,

I raised a support ticket when I noticed that the package had gone

This has been discussed previously in the past 30-45 days or so in other threads. They mentioned their intensions for removing the "lifetime" license and it made sense.

Everyone wants updates. Everyone technically needs updates (even if you don't use new features...). I think these new packages are fair.

Hi,

Does the 'one account' on the 'personal plan' mean the admin account or do you get to create another account separate from the admin account?

This has been discussed previously in the past 30-45 days or so in other threads. They mentioned their intensions for removing the "lifetime" license and it made sense.

Everyone wants updates. Everyone technically needs updates (even if you don't use new features...). I think these new packages are fair.

That may be true.

But in "this" thread - the one in the Official DirectAdmin Announcements forum - it was stated that the lifetime license with lifetime updates and support was being retired and in it's place would be an alternative lifetime license that came with a years support/updates and you could "optionally" choose to extend support/updates for $99 a year.

see

The only exception is our $299 lifetime license. It is still being offered with a "never expire" promise, support/updates for 1 year, and you can (optionally) add another year at any time for $99.

We did leave the $299 lifetime there, with the option of $99 upgrade/support but it's completely optional. If you decided never to pay anything more, the license would still keep working forever. It's not $299 + required $99 + $99 + $99 etc. It's just the $299 everybody is used to and if you want to add more upgrades/support, it's possible but there is nothing forcing you to do it.

EDIT: As the main post states, the $299 lifetime has not be phased out, but there is now the option of support/upgrade fees to it.

1. The only lifetime left is our new $299 lifetime. It will never expire (you can always login and manage your server), but the software updates and support only last a year. You can add another year at any time, or just leave the license how it is. When you order, there is no renewal subscription you must be forced to enable.

and so on.

I think it's quite reasonable to be confused by the sudden "total" removal of the lifetime option.

ikkeben said:
So because of the and i read/ understand maximum 10 account X 50 domains is total max 500 domains?
No that's a wrong interpretation of what it says. It's 10 accounts and maximum 50 domains in total.
For the personal account it's 1 account with max 10 domains.
So in fact the Lite license has less domains then if you would multiply the personal account with 10. :)

It does says "and" but it does not say "per account". ;)

However, since they say they don't raise prices, I also would very much like to know why the $200 yearly suddenly is removed. Because then we have a raise of $160 a year when needed to pay monthly.
I asked DA about this. Could be it's just temporarily removed from the site for layout reasons so they could implement the personal and lite stuff.

Last edited:
Hello, it was suddenly removed from the site but we can offer it until our Sept 1 hard deadline. There are some problems with the product, including security risks of people running old versions to save on money. But this is highly dangerous, it increases the odds of an old server being a risk to itself or other servers on the net. So if you would like this license, we cannot promise that the update fee would be optional .

That we cannot promise that the update fee would be optional is fair while unsafe to old nobody wants

i think about this, but very strange while suddenly removed and we don't raising prices hmm

Update then fee is that only to have option to do updates yourself or some support also?

Also if a lot of "parked" "forwarded " or only email domains such would ne nice habe some separation ( only brainstorming) for this. ;)
Brandname protection some has way more brandname.tld's only using live 1 or few , private persons like their personal domainname only for mail.

With such contructions you can have a lot of domains on lite VPS, but now the price of control panel is almost even or more then such vps montly price.

That was why i was hoping 10 account with each 50 domains haha ;)

Last edited:
That may be true.

But in "this" thread - the one in the Official DirectAdmin Announcements forum - it was stated that the lifetime license with lifetime updates and support was being retired and in it's place would be an alternative lifetime license that came with a years support/updates and you could "optionally" choose to extend support/updates for $99 a year.

I think it's quite reasonable to be confused by the sudden "total" removal of the lifetime option.

Yes - I'm sorry DA staff - but I have to agree. It was clearly communicated that the "lifetime" license would be retired but the renamed "owned" license would stay.

I opened a support ticket to discuss this concern and the reply back was this:

As the Owned is being phased out, one thing I cannot promise is that it will be available for future order months or years down the line, so if you want to grab some now then it's no problem

There you have it - it looks like a very confusing picture from the management team in DA. It seems they changed their mind and *are now pulling* the owned license. I may have to reconsider my usage of Direct Admin - changing pricing 'willy nilly' all over the place - especially after the cpanel fiasco..... well it's very disturbing and unprofessional IMO

I just registered myself at Directadmin

and asked for

Hello, it was suddenly removed from the site but we can offer it until our Sept 1 hard deadline. There are some problems with the product, including security risks of people running old versions to save on money. But this is highly dangerous, it increases the odds of an old server being a risk to itself or other servers on the net. So if you would like this license, we cannot promise that the update fee would be optional .

Waiting for yes no possible to have it clear and yup i needed one ( planned for sep/oktober) that is to late then so want to order earlier because of that changes here.

:confused:

While:
No installation want to change one license already installed from one of our VPS reseller i pay monthly to them, they can't give support if i make to much changes for example to be more PCI compliant then the config is not their default to get support anymore.

Like todo things / learn myself so only support needed ( tickets) if a real problem for mostly kind of BUG somewhere.

Last edited:
@DirectAdmin Sales, are you still planning to add a DNS only license for use with multiserver, or a stripped down version without Apache, PHP, etc for DNS only servers? Or is it recommended to use the "Personal" license for DNS only servers (for each of our name servers)?

@Ditto: You don't need DA for multiserver setup, you can use Directslave for that.
A personal license would not be sufficient because that's limited to 10 domains. I didn't know they were planning a DNS only multiserver version though.

@Richard G, I know about Directslave, but I don't want to use Directslave. I am using DirectAdmin multiserver and want to continue to do so.

Why would a personal license not be sufficient? I am not going to add any domains at all, only sync DNS by using multiserver. There will only be the admin account, and that account will not have any domains.

We suggest using the Personal license for this, as the domain limit is unlocked (unlimited) for the purpose of multi-server DNS.

Curious... What happens to users who bought owned licenses?

I was very comfortable paying the $99/year update "subscription" fee, but am not enthusiastic about the $29/month standard license since it will be more expensive than what I was going to be charged by my hosting provider for cPanel.

Eagerly awaiting more details!

as the domain limit is unlocked (unlimited) for the purpose of multi-server DNS.
Ah that is good to know, thank you. I thought since it was personal, it was also limited to 10 domains. But for multiserver it's not. Great!

Is personal is only domains in admin account or admin account and 1 user account or domains got to be under admin account

Sorry, but removing the 'owned' license is a bad move. People who won't update are not your problem.

Sorry, but removing the 'owned' license is a bad move.
People who won't update are not your problem.

First yup for 1 bad / not so good and so on :(

but for 2 everyone on the WEB has to take care for extra security where possible ( responsible a kind off yup) so yup if update is not optional but obligated i find this ok.

It makes the WEB a little safer less spooky boxes then. ;)

1 2

First yup for 1 bad / not so good and so on :(

but for 2 everyone on the WEB has to take care for extra security where possible ( responsible a kind off yup) so yup if update is not optional but obligated i find this ok.

It makes the WEB a little safer less spooky boxes then. ;)

You never know they are updating now ;)

Back