R.I.P. CentOS ?

I don't quite understand this:

I thought that Fedora was already doing that stage. Like Fedora -> RHEL -> Centos.
So now it's getting like Fedora -> Centos Stream -> Redhat? Or how should we read this as I'm not native English?

Well... like a Dutch saying says, we will probably look the cat out of the tree, or in other words, wait and see what happens and how Oracle Linux works on shared servers with DA.
"CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux."

Might want to read RHEL thoughts too. https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/centos-stream-building-innovative-future-enterprise-linux

In short centos is going to be the development branch for rhel
This is where we see CentOS Stream fitting in. It provides a platform for rapid innovation at the community level but with a stable enough base to understand production dynamics. These changes and feedback can more quickly be channeled into productization, resulting in Linux platforms that meet the needs of an incredibly varied user base.

Fedora is a desktop system I always thought.

There is the faq as well https://centos.org/distro-faq/

Q5: Does this mean that CentOS Stream is the RHEL BETA test platform now?​

A: No. CentOS Stream will be getting fixes and features ahead of RHEL. Generally speaking, we expect CentOS Stream to have fewer bugs and more runtime features than RHEL until those packages make it into the RHEL release.

Sounds like Alpha with centos community as testers...

Maybe Oracle Linux
Right but why choose one big for profit company over another. I did read their pitch I like some of the features. Seems simple to convert.

I think FreeBSD or Debian is a better choice. If you want to stay away from big corp influence. The only issue with FreeBSD is not many use it here with DA. So DA is thinking of dropping support for it. Now maybe they will change their mind.

What will be interesting is what will cPanel and others do. Since they only support RH or centos. I am so glad DA did not switch to just one OS.

This could lead to another influx of Panel refugees to DA....

Last edited:
I see that no one says anything especially CloudLinux. I have 2 servers with CloudLinux OS and I don't know how they will be affected.

I see that no one says anything especially CloudLinux. I have 2 servers with CloudLinux OS and I don't know how they will be affected.
I am quite sure since they released Kernelcare on Debian. If they are smart they are working on either their own distro or adding support for Debian.

Plus IBM doesn't care about CL or any other company for that matter. I mean they have Watson..:cool:

Just got an answer from CloudLinux and it sounds like that: "We will be putting out a blog next week so people can fully understand things."

Wonder what infrastructure provides like Hetzner, OVH, Leaseweb and others will do?

Hello Marius,
We are aware of these changes and are currently discussing them internally with the team. We will provide information soon on our blog here https://blog.cloudlinux.com/. Please stay tuned.
We understand that this is important for our clients and are looking for the best solution. Thank you.

Worth noting that this is in fact organized by the original CentOS founder Gregory Kurtzer. He posted this on LinkedIn:

End of 2021 is still some time ahead, let's hope this new project takes off before that.

A: No. CentOS Stream will be getting fixes and features ahead of RHEL.
Still looks the same to me as Fedora who is also in front of RHEL. What will be the big difference between Fedora and Centos stream?

Anyway I'm very unhappy that Centos 7 still will be supported until 2024 and Centos 8 only 2021 instead of also 2024 if they are still busy with Centos 7 anyway. Bad choice.

Wonder what infrastructure provides like Hetzner, OVH, Leaseweb and others will do?
Me too. But @Marwen it will never be Suse. Otherwise this would have been used widely already too.

Still looks the same to me as Fedora who is also in front of RHEL. What will be the big difference between Fedora and Centos stream?

Anyway I'm very unhappy that Centos 7 still will be supported until 2024 and Centos 8 only 2021 instead of also 2024 if they are still busy with Centos 7 anyway. Bad choice.

Me too. But @Marwen it will never be Suse. Otherwise this would have been used widely already too.
Yeah I am glad I tested Debian and FreeBSD now. I wish DA would come out a support FreeBSD more now. It's a dream I know..

So I guess it will be Debian for me.. I just wish I could get rid of SystemD too..

Without too much indept knowledge of what CentOS stream is, my hope/expatations are on the fork. Hope it takes shape quickly.

Will this affect CloudLinux? If so, I tried there and it is OK - mostly the same as CentOS.
Cloudlinux will release a free OS to replace CentOS 8

My name is Igor Seletskiy. I am CEO/Founder of Cloud Linux Inc.

CloudLinux OS has never depended on CentOS®. Our software was and continues to be a fork of RedHat® EL. We base our packages on sources provided by RedHat®.
As such, we don't expect any changes for CloudLinux OS due to the RedHat® announcement.

As we already maintain CloudLinux OS, we plan to release a free, open sourced, community driven, 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL® 8 (and future releases) in the Q1 of 2021. We will create a separate, totally free OS that is fully binary compatible with RHEL® 8 (and future versions). We will sponsor the development & maintenance of such OS. We will work on establishing a community around the OS, with the governing board from members of the community.

Why we are doing it:
We have all the infrastructure, software and experience to do that already. We have a large staff of developers and maintainers that have a decade of experience in building a RHEL fork, starting from RHEL5 to RHEL8
We expect that this project will put us on the map, and allow people to discover our rebootless update software (https://kernelcare.com) and LTS offering https://www.cloudlinux.com/extended-lifecycle

What will we do to make sure that we don't go wrong:
We plan to make all the build and test software free, open sourced, easy to set up, so if we ever go in the wrong direction - the community can just pick up where we left off.

What it means for you:
If you are running CloudLinux OS 8 -- it will continue to have stable and well tested updates until 2029, and ELS releases for years after that.

If you are running CentOS 8 - we will release an OS very similar to CentOS 8 based on RHEL 8 stable. We will provide stable and well tested updates until 2029 - totally free. You will be able to convert from CentOS 8 at any moment by running a single command that switches repositories & keys.

Timeline: Q1 2021

Great news then. So far we have the original CentOS founder and CloudLinux on this. On LinkedIn I saw Igor looking to reach out to Gregory so maybe they will join forces.

My name is Igor Seletskiy. I am CEO/Founder of Cloud Linux Inc.

CloudLinux OS has never depended on CentOS®. Our software was and continues to be a fork of RedHat® EL. We base our packages on sources provided by RedHat®.
As such, we don't expect any changes for CloudLinux OS due to the RedHat® announcement.

As we already maintain CloudLinux OS, we plan to release a free, open sourced, community driven, 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL® 8 (and future releases) in the Q1 of 2021. We will create a separate, totally free OS that is fully binary compatible with RHEL® 8 (and future versions). We will sponsor the development & maintenance of such OS. We will work on establishing a community around the OS, with the governing board from members of the community.

Why we are doing it:
We have all the infrastructure, software and experience to do that already. We have a large staff of developers and maintainers that have a decade of experience in building a RHEL fork, starting from RHEL5 to RHEL8
We expect that this project will put us on the map, and allow people to discover our rebootless update software (https://kernelcare.com) and LTS offering https://www.cloudlinux.com/extended-lifecycle

What will we do to make sure that we don't go wrong:
We plan to make all the build and test software free, open sourced, easy to set up, so if we ever go in the wrong direction - the community can just pick up where we left off.

What it means for you:
If you are running CloudLinux OS 8 -- it will continue to have stable and well tested updates until 2029, and ELS releases for years after that.

If you are running CentOS 8 - we will release an OS very similar to CentOS 8 based on RHEL 8 stable. We will provide stable and well tested updates until 2029 - totally free. You will be able to convert from CentOS 8 at any moment by running a single command that switches repositories & keys.

Timeline: Q1 2021

Do you have a source on that? I don't see it on the Cloud Linux blog or forum

Back