R.I.P. CentOS ?

See Almalinux MIGRATION from CENTOS8 tool / script this date is still not DA supported. ( in roadmap there no tick)

Someone knows status or?

"this roadmap:
  • yes CentOS 8 support.
  • no debug information to a log file for failed migration analysis.
  • yes Oracle Linux 8 support.
  • yes RHEL 8 support
  • no DirectAdmin control panel support."

The Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation (RESF) is pleased to announce the General Availability of Rocky Linux 8.4 for the following architectures:

ArchitectureMinimalDVDBootPackages
x86_64XXXX
ARM64 (aarch64)XXXX

Sufficient testing has been performed such that we have confidence in its stability for production systems. Free community support is available through the Rocky Linux Mattermost, IRC, and forums. Paid commercial support is currently available through CIQ.

🥳🥳🥳

DA: maybe open new sub forums for these new OS?

Which is best to use Alma or Rocky? Both seem to be at full release now.

Community seems to be leaning more toward Alma from what I can tell.
I think is quite the opposite, community is more towards Rocky while big enterprises are using AlmaLinux because of CloudLinux. However, Rocky is more community-driven like CentOS (I mean his creator was one of CentOS founders). Also Rocky Linux just came out while Alma has been around a few months. I think both can co-exist like Ubuntu and Debian tho.

I think is quite the opposite, community is more towards Rocky while big enterprises are using AlmaLinux because of CloudLinux. However, Rocky is more community-driven like CentOS (I mean his creator was one of CentOS founders). Also Rocky Linux just came out while Alma has been around a few months. I think both can co-exist like Ubuntu and Debian tho.
I am leaning towards rocky. Both are dependent on redhat but rocky seems more community driven to me but IDK. I would consider moving too ubuntu but there LTS is not supported as long as Centos as I understand.

I have not tried AlmaLinux. I am installing DA on Rocky currently and all is going well. I seems to install fine. Running ./build all now. So far no issues. Build all finished no errors. Rocky should work.
I think is quite the opposite,
I think he means the DA community. Not the Community at large. I personally think the which is best doesn't really matter. They are all fairly equal in performance and support. If you know debian use that. If you know ubuntu use that. They all have their problems and 90% of them are linked to some corporate sponsor or will be.

I used a Redhat variation forever once the sold out and the need for CentOS was born. It been all down hill. The nail was when IBM bought them. Not sure if Alma or Rocky will be around very long. All IBM needs to do is wake up and close the upstream

I personally prefer FreeBSD or Debian. They are the most free of corporate sponsors. The issue for Debian and FreeBSD is the community just takes and never gives.

Directadmin stable on Centos 8? Should be no different with Rocky or Alma then right?

Another potential alternative -
EXTENDED LIFECYCLE SUPPORT FOR CENTOS 8 (from tuxcare.com , i.e. CloudLinux) -

Converted a CentOS 8.4 DA server to Rocky 8.4 using migrate2rocky.
The migration went smooth. So far no issues found.
Thanks for the update. Would be cool if you can tell in a few weeks how everything is going - if there had been later some problems or not...

I am still thinking what i should take at the end of the year: Almalinux or Rockylinux...

Greets

Thanks for the update. Would be cool if you can tell in a few weeks how everything is going - if there had been later some problems or not...

I am still thinking what i should take at the end of the year: Almalinux or Rockylinux...

Greets
I got all of my CentOS 8 servers converted to Rocky. First update to the latest CentOS 8 available and reboot. Then make sure the "powertools" is enabled. One last time "yum upgrade" before running the migrate2rocky script and reboot. DirectAdmin didn't even know that anything has changed.

Besides that I installed a few new Rocky servers with DirectAdmin. I didn't find any issues. Just make sure that, for now, you have SecureBoot disabled in your BIOS/VMware. The Rocky people are still waiting to obtain secure boot signing keys.

I wasn't going to wait until the end of the year before finding and testing an alternative for CentOS 8. Rocky is my preferred OS now. There doesn't seem to be a second (commercial) agenda.

I just converted a first system from CentOS 8 to Rocky Linux. No issues at all, Rocky Linux is running great. To be sure i did a ./build all to recompile everything.

I converted 6 DA servers from CentOS 8.4 to Rocky Linux using the Rocky Linux migration script.

Servers have been up and stable for over 6 weeks, with no problems what so ever.

Back