R.I.P. CentOS ?

If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.

I wonder how stable Centos Stream is for Production. Will be supported?

@smtalk good to know, but what is your personal advice ? stick with Centos Stream or upgrade to other alternatieves ?
What bout the license can we just select Centos when we use OL?

As we speak I am testing the convert script
Code:
curl -O https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos2ol.sh
sh centos2ol.sh
On a vps with centos 7 to Oracle Linux 7 and its really straight forward, still testing and keep you informed

Last edited:
@smtalk good to know, but what is your personal advice ? stick with Centos Stream or upgrade to other alternatieves ?
What bout the license can we just select Centos when we use OL?

As we speak I am testing the convert script
Code:
curl -O https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos2ol.sh
sh centos2ol.sh
On a vps with centos 7 to Oracle Linux 7 and its really straight forward, still testing and keep you informed
Yes, it should just work with the conversion. New installations may have issues with OS detection with auto mode, but this is very minor to solve on DA-end :)

For users who are playing with the convert script it only works with centos 6 and 7 :(
Did a convert from an clean Centos7 to OL 7:
Code:
           Chassis: vm
        Machine ID: 96820b9851c24560b5f942f2496b9aeb
           Boot ID: 3c9ce60e031342ee9bd7847d2a38ce95
    Virtualization: kvm
  Operating System: Oracle Linux Server 7.9
       CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:oracle:linux:7:9:server
            Kernel: Linux 5.4.17-2036.100.6.1.el7uek.x86_64
      Architecture: x86-64

Last edited:
I don't quite understand this:
CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
I thought that Fedora was already doing that stage. Like Fedora -> RHEL -> Centos.
So now it's getting like Fedora -> Centos Stream -> Redhat? Or how should we read this as I'm not native English?

Well... like a Dutch saying says, we will probably look the cat out of the tree, or in other words, wait and see what happens and how Oracle Linux works on shared servers with DA.

It's not great news at the end of the year when migrating from CentOS 6 to CentOS 8.So CentOS 7 is supported to half way 2024, at this moment that is the best way. I use Debian a lot for other things, but prefer CentOS in combination with DirectAdmin.

Converting from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream 8 is easy and in place, but not sure about using that in production.

This going to be hard practice ;(

But I don't worry, I'll test " Steam " for you guy !

Because Centos Steam need more attention on every update some thing like, " yum update ", and wait update until 4 - 5 version to makesure it's don't damage my server, And create VM Snapshorts for safety ( Normally I don't do this, since this happending ;(

As far I understand Stream will be an test place for RHEL, so I guess not :(
From the blog
If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.

You can find true meaning of the move to stream in this phrase.

Back