RAID + RedHat

pluk

Verified User
Does anyone have some tips on making RAID disks?

- Does RedHat Enterprise Linux or Fedora comes with it's own software RAID?

- Should I use hardware raid like Adaptec crads with linux drivers?

pluk said:
Does anyone have some tips on making RAID disks?

The RAID howto, available here.
- Does RedHat Enterprise Linux or Fedora comes with it's own software RAID?
Yes, both do; you can set up software RAID as part of your installation process; that's the way we do it.
- Should I use hardware raid like Adaptec crads with linux drivers?
If you read my other posts on the subject, and also elsewhere on the 'net, you'll read a lot about "fake" hardware RAID.

The answer depends a lot on which card you use; for more information, look here.

For specific information about one Adaptec card, look here.

Jeff

Hmmm... Just got this motherboard. AMD64 S939 ASUS A8N-SLI NF4 PCIE

It combines 4x 2sets (totalling 8 ports) of SATA. 2 sets are controlled by NVRAid and the other 2 sets from Silicon. Wondering how it will react with Fedora or EL.

I'll be doing some tests first. I'll let you know.

Please do. Does the RAID require drivers (other than the drivers required for SATA)? If so it's probably not true hardware RAID.

The onboard RAID we've seen on motherboards we've looked at are no true hardware RAID.

Jeff

In Windows, it needs drivers. At the bios level, the silicon sets has an utility to create arrays.

I'm making some tests on Fedora with them and I had to remove the Bios function of RAID in order to let the OS see the drives by itself and then use MDADM to do the sfotware raid.

Pretty interesting but having difficulties to make sure it's stable.

Above all, I will make backups on an external FTP server too to make it more fault tolorant and safe.

From your post it appears that it is a software RAID card/chipset masquerading as a hardware RAID card, and that what you've done is disabled the pseudo-hardware-RAID and set up your own software RAID.

Which is what I recommending when using such RAID cards/chipsets.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm still having difficulties on MDADM under RHEL4. Shoul I post the problem OR should I email you? I might need some PRO help.

[email protected]

Thanks!

Patrick

I've always used RAIDtools, so I'm not sure of the details of mdadm.

However always feel free to post the issues here; you might be a reply :) .

Jeff

Back