Redirect from non-www to www

andreasfmpro

Verified User
I need to do 301 redirects from the non-www version of the website to the www version, for all my domains.

Thus far, I've been doing it via an htaccess file which I manually create and upload via FTP to the root.

The problem is, the moment I use DirectAdmin's Site Redirection feature to perform any other redirects, the original htaccess file gets hopelessly messed up, the original non-www to www redirection stops working, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Ideally, I'd create the non-www to www redirection from DirectAdmin's Site Redirection feature, but I have no clue how to do that. Can anyone help me? It sounds like a very easy thing to do, and yet I have not been able to find any solutions on Google. Thanks.

Alex,

Thank you, but the link you sent me to contains information that is completely undecipherable to me. I am not a techie. I am just trying to do what should be a simple thing, but I guess DirectAdmin cannot handle. The tech support people at my hosting provider are of no help, either.

I'm guessing there isn't an easy solution for what you want: using both DA's redirect and also something DA's redirect doesn't support. Unless you're constantly changing redirects or need it on a large scale, I'd just create the DA redirects first, then add the non-www -> www code to it.

Back