restore backup doesn't work

Sahi

Verified User
I am movind DA to a new server and want to restore a admin and reseller account.

I've copied the admin account to the new server by scp. The chmodded the file to 755 and on admin level tried to restore the admin account. I got the message:
Restores added to Queue

Details

You will be notified via the Message System when the process is complete

This was yesterday.
Got no message!

Today tried to restore a user account. Did this on reseller level 'Manage User Backups'
Got the same message but now an hour later nothing is done (backup of 15 MB)

Tanks for helping.

Why do you chmod a backup to 755? There is no need for that, just use the original directory's intended for backups and restores.

So if you make an admin backup, use admin backup/transfer, maken the backup or transfer it to the new server /home/admin/admin_backup and restore from the DA panel.

If you want to be notified, you have to put your email address in the ticket system. If you did, check first if it works.

If you want to restore a user account via Manage User Backups on reseller level, then the backup should also be made that way.
If it's a real user backup, made by the user account, you should login to the user account and restore from there, otherwise you will run into problems.

But then again, if you don't get any messages, check your ticket system you will see them in there. And after that check why the email isn't working. The logfiles should be able to give you some clues.
If you're restoring the root admin account, it could well be because unfinished domain transfers or resolving.

I used chmod because it is mentioned http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57. Maybe that would solve the problem.

The problem was solved when i used:
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d

Then i received also the messages in the ticketsystem.

Any idea if i could expect problems when transfering a account with 30 GB?

Well.... if you read something, you can better read it fully (below step 4):
The newer alternative for the Reseller Level Backups is Admin Level -> Admin Backups/Transfers.
With Admin Backups/transfers, you don't need to do anything else from that help section anymore.
Probably the earlier steps you took, confused dataskq or something. Because Admin Backup/Transfer itself, sends it to the task queue.

Please keep that in mind for next time. Only use Admin Backup/Transfer and you should be fine. Don't use that help section, it's normally not needed anymore.
Just take care on restoring that you restore admins first, then resellers and then users. Watch the settings you used on restoring according to using local nameservers or nameservers from the backup.

Any idea if i could expect problems when transfering a account with 30 GB?
I transfered a complete server a couple of weeks ago. One of the accounts had 37 GB. Normally you wouldn't get into trouble, but problem is that backing up 30GB can take a whole lot of time and uses some system resources.
So some things could get a bit slower.

Best thing is to use Admin Backup/Transfer but don't use ftp at once. Just make the backup. If finished, go via ssh to /home/admin/admin_backups and transfer the backup to the new server at /home/admin/admin_backups.

After that, you can restore it on the new server. Again, it will take some time there and can use some resources.

Be sure you have enough space and quota available!

There is a limit for how large a user you can backup. The limit is that the backup has to be created somewhere; generally in the /home directory, so you must have enough room in your /home directory.

For esample, if you've got a 30GB client and only 5GB free in your /home directory you likely can't back it up.

Jeff

Back