root ftp account?

young

Verified User
is it possible to ftp into proftpd with root or make it so i can have an account have access to / instead of starting in the home dir?

Hello,

I could be wrong, but I think proftpd has "no root allowed" compiled into it. That needs to be confirmed, but it would make sense. If it is prohibited, I'm positive that you can compile your own copy with root access allowed. You'd just have to figure that out on your own :)

John

i changed the root directory in proftpd.passwd to / for the admin account and it seems to let me out of the home folder.
is there a better way to do this?

Hello,

That's how it's done. If you want to be able to write to the disk you have to make sure that the uid:gid (user id and group id) parts of the line in that file have permission to write, or else you won't be able to upload. You can always just upload to /home/admin and have a root script do something with it after it's uploaded.

John

It doesn't come in compiled, it's an option you can set for 'server config, <VirtualHost>, <Anonymous>, <Global>'

http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userguide/linked/config_ref_RootLogin.html

I have read through the proftpd manual and the author and many others recommend not to create a root login for your server! This is because ftp sends its data unencrypted so your root password is sends in plain text over the wire.

So the best thing is to login using SSH.

Back