SMTP problems

Marque DeWinter

Verified User
all emails sent out are being bounced saying the host could not be located (address won't resolve)

Error messages are as follows:

2004-11-24 07:44:03 1CWZSs-0008It-Qw == [email protected] routing defer (-51): retry time not reached

2004-11-24 07:43:43 1CVSP7-0001Xb-0y == [email protected] <[email protected]> R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete

I'm thinking its the router, not the machine or Exim. Could someone confirm or deny that?

My hostname is completely different

my hostname (and even ther server domain name) is completely different.

the hostname is

sever.domain.net

which isn't even listed on the DNS page (or just even the domain.net)

Last edited:
You didn't give us any real information to go on, so I can't do any testing.

But I will say that in order to send email your hostname must resolve in DNS.

If it doesn't most mailservers (including mine) won't accept email from you.

Jeff

What information is needed

Well what information will help? I'm not great with DA and the effects it has on the various programs (exim, apache, etc.). I could just change the config files directly but I don't how DA will react.

Again sample error messages from the logs are as follows

2004-11-24 07:44:03 1CWZSs-0008It-Qw == [email protected] routing defer (-51): retry time not reached

2004-11-24 07:43:43 1CVSP7-0001Xb-0y == [email protected] <[email protected]> R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete

AND

as per the previous post the servers hostname is not the same as the domain. The servername ends in .NET and the domain ends in .COM

PLUS the kicker to all of this is that it worked fine until the machine was restarted.

Thanx, MD

We don't mean as the domain that's sending the email to. We mean you can't have the hostname as domainname even when you're not mailing to it ;)

Let's say you're hostname is server1.domain.ext

and you create a domainname in the panel "server1.domain.ext".

Then all you're mails to [username]@something.ext isn't working.

But if it isn't check the thread there's a way to trace the email routers in exim and find the problem ;)

Re: What information is needed

Marque DeWinter said:
Well what information will help?
Okay, let's presume for a moment your server is really named sever.domain.net
A simple nslookup on server.domain.net shows that you don't have a zone entry in DNS for it:
[jeff@of1 jeff]$ nslookup server.domain.net
Server: 192.168.2.1
Address: 192.168.2.1#53

** server can't find server.domain.net: NXDOMAIN

[jeff@of1 jeff]$
Fix your DNS, and your email will work.

Jeff

Back