Sub-Accounts for /clients area and new Tickets

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Sub-Accounts

As many of our clients have larger teams to manage licenses and support tickets, we've added "Sub-Account" functionality to the /clients area, which can be accessed from:
Code:
/clients » Profile Icon (top-right) » Account » Sub-Accounts Tab

This page lets you add E-Mail accounts (even for yourself if you want), which lets you do everything you normally do, but allowing the use of an E-Mail login instead of the #UID.
Logging in with a Sub-Account will not let you add/remove/manage other Sub-Accounts.

This page also lets you control which areas the Sub-Accounts can use, namely the /clients area and the new ticket system, in case your techs should only be allowed access to one or the other.

Sub-Accounts can only login to the new ticket system, not the old one.

New Ticket System

We have a new ticket system, ready for testing. Let us know if you find any issues with it.

As mentioned above, the sub-accounts can only login to newtickets, and not the old tickets.directadmin.com.
Once testing is complete, we'll swap them.

Two-Factor Authentication

Sub-Accounts have been coded to support 2FA (eg: Google Authenticator phone app), just as existing client accounts could already use.
We highly recommend everyone enable two-factor authentication onto their accounts and sub-accounts for added security.

John

About the ticket system; please come up with a way to file bug reports easily as well.

If you file those via the ticket system now after having spent time to dig around and gather as much info as possible and don't have a license type with active support, you often get a short reply with just the notice you don't have active support on that license.

This is, as you might understand, rather demotivating when trying to help file bug-reports and make DirectAdmin a better experience overall. I absolutely get we can't all directly be emailing John anymore like in the olden days and I also get paying for support is necessary but lately when I discover bugs I notice I often don't even bother to open a ticket anymore or spend any of my time to document it.

Maybe you could come with a solution in the new ticket system?

Last edited:
If you file those via the ticket system now after having spent time to dig around and gather as much info as possible and don't have a license type with active support, you often get a short reply with just the notice you don't have active support on that license

We're active here in the forums and check the reports here for the licenses having no support. I'm sorry, but ticketing isn't an option for this, because most of the time, "bugs" reported are just misconfigurations or wrongly followed guides, then these people just get free support which is not included into the license :) If we suspect it's a bug (on the forum), we usually make an exception and login to the servers to check it (if needed).

The Forum in its current setup doesn't always work for that I think. A couple of real world examples:
  • Where on the Forum do I go exactly to notify you of an error or omission in the documentation?
  • If I post a bug and someone else comes up with a well intended but incorrect answer, will you guys still fix the bug?
  • What if I want to point out a bug that's only easily illustrated by posting screenshots or logs with confidential information?
  • What do I do with posts you don't respond to for whatever reason and the bug remains open for a couple of DirectAdmin releases?
Most importantly, not every user falls in the same "these people" category I would think. Maybe you could come up with a group of trusted users for whom you could make it easier to give feedback through the ticket system, a private part of the forum or something else entirely. Giving us the confidence you'll actually do something with valid bug reports. Please understand you're getting this feedback from us for free as well so I think in general DirectAdmin could benefit from this enormously.

We're active here in the forums and check the reports here for the licenses having no support.
We are glad you are.
wrongly followed guides,
That is a documentation bug. The documentation wasn't good enough to convey how to do it correctly.

Most companies have a bug documentation system. I find it hard to believe DA doesn't.

I agree with @tristan there needs to be a better process for real bug reporting. I also agree a lot of people don't read the documentation well and are looking for the "burger king" answer. I also agree the documentation is still lacking.

Where on the Forum do I go exactly to notify you of an error or omission in the documentation?
I put mine in feedback. I agree I wasn't sure. I thought the feedback site was for all feedback, not just enhancement requests.
  • What do I do with posts you don't respond to for whatever reason and the bug remains open for a couple of DirectAdmin releases?
You mean like these. I am always baffled by the lack of a real viable native backup system.
1601392144438.png
What do I do with posts you don't respond to for whatever reason and the bug remains open for a couple of DirectAdmin releases?
As far as I know the is no SLA on bug squashing. Which could be concerning.

Hopefully, with all the New customers, DA will put more into R and D. I do think they have come a long way in about a year. IMHO they still have far to go.

don't have a license type with active support
So what if you want support? is there an option to get it? I thought you could pay a yearly fee and get support? is that not true.

I agree you shouldn't have to pay to log bug reports.

Where on the Forum do I go exactly to notify you of an error or omission in the documentation?

@tristan works pretty well, however, I cannot promise a reply (due to lack of time) if it sounds like a general support request, instead of a bug.

If I post a bug and someone else comes up with a well intended but incorrect answer, will you guys still fix the bug?

If we treat it as a bug, it should be fixed. If that's a design choice or something like this - feedback.directadmin.com would serve such case very well.

What if I want to point out a bug that's only easily illustrated by posting screenshots or logs with confidential information?

That information can be hidden, bugs are usually reproducible.

What do I do with posts you don't respond to for whatever reason and the bug remains open for a couple of DirectAdmin releases?

Most likely not a bug then (and most likely the case would fit feedback.directadmin.com then).

What's the main difference between this one and https://docs.directadmin.com/direct...ubleshooting-da-service#domain-already-exists ? :) We can modify that page, but we need to know what's wrong with it.

So what if you want support? is there an option to get it? I thought you could pay a yearly fee and get support? is that not true.

There is, people supporting development and the future of DA can do this in their clients area for any license which came without support included.

What's the main difference between this one
the one you linked is How to debug. The one I linked is how to debug and how to submit the bug to the company.

Bug Report
If the server doesn't crash, but it's not working as expected, particularly if the same task does work in Apache, you can submit a bug report. Enable a high-level debug log on LSWS to reproduce the issue, and send the detailed debug log to [email protected]. Be sure to include the detailed steps to reproduce the problem so that our developers may investigate.

The question is more around. What is the documented process to submit a bug request to the JBMC corporation about their product Directadmin?

Where do we do that?
How do we track it?
How are we informed it was fixed or if it was not?

I cannot promise a reply (due to lack of time)
If the company can't Document its own system in a timely fashion. They need to evaluate hiring staff to do these things.
There is, people supporting development and the future of DA
So if @tristan wanted to add support to any of his licenses he could? correct?

the one you linked is How to debug. The one I linked is how to debug and how to submit the bug to the company.
https://docs.directadmin.com/direct...e/#how-to-debug-a-segfault-within-directadmin says: "Copy/paste that entire output and send it to us.". There are multiple ways to do it. I thought it was clear, but it likely isn't? Should we just add ticketing and https://directadmin.com/contacts.php URLs there?

If the company can't Document its own system in a timely fashion. They need to evaluate hiring staff to do these things.
What do you miss in https://docs.directadmin.com ?

Definitely!

Copy/paste that entire output and send it to us.
Who is us and where are they located?
I will tell a story here.. One day when I was old enough to ride a bicycle. My mom called me into the Kitchen and said "Son here is 5 dollars run down to the store and get me some stuff." How would you answer?

I am answering the time question
I cannot promise a reply (due to lack of time)
as it relates to the documentation of the system
I don't know what I am missing. I don't own the company nor do I write the software. Its JBMC's job to fully document the system. If they don't have time to do that they should hire more people.
Definitely!
Awesome

I don't know what I am missing. I don't own the company nor do I write the software. Its JBMC's job to fully document the system. If they don't have time to do that they should hire more people.

I didn't say we have no time for documentation :) I just wanted to say I cannot find time to answer all the forum support requests for the licenses having no support.

I just wanted to say I cannot find time to answer all the forum support requests for the licenses having no support.
Totally agree and I do the best I can as a volunteer to help them. Sometime it would be nice if folks like @Richard G and @bdacus01 were a bit more like moderators than Regular users.

@tristan works pretty well, however, I cannot promise a reply (due to lack of time) if it sounds like a general support request, instead of a bug.
Please stop circling back to support requests here, I'm talking about bugs and corrections in documentation. On what forum should we report documentation corrections?

If we treat it as a bug, it should be fixed. If that's a design choice or something like this - feedback.directadmin.com would serve such case very well.
Ok, so will try to report some bugs on the forum when possible.

That information can be hidden, bugs are usually reproducible.
Since I'm exclusively using Debian, which sometimes seems a bit like an afterthought at DirectAdmin, speaking from 16 years of experience, you guys often need access to a specific Debian server of mine (for eaxmple with new Debian releases). Also, anonymizing a log file while having it still make sense to you guys is pretty time consuming. So a closed system is way more practical for these kind of bugs.

bdacus01 said:
Definitely!
That makes no sense at all, I'm spending my precious time to track down and document a bug or to file a correction in your documentation and I also have to pay for support to actually file this bug/have the documentation corrected? In the pre "you don't have active support on that license" time I often helped debugging stuff direclty with John resulting in fixes to DirectAdmin making DirectAdmin better for everyone. I did this because I liked to help and "give" a little bit back all the while making DirectAdmin better for me and my customers. Please have John and Mark read my inital post as well to see whether something can be done here.

That makes no sense at all, I'm spending my precious time to track down and document a bug or to file a correction in your documentation and I also have to pay for support to actually file this bug/have the documentation corrected? In the pre "you don't have active support on that license" time I often helped debugging stuff direclty with John resulting in fixes to DirectAdmin making DirectAdmin better for everyone. I did this because I liked to help and "give" a little bit back all the while making DirectAdmin better for me and my customers. Please have John and Mark read my inital post as well to see whether something can be done here.
I wasn't asking based on Bugs. I was asking if someone without real support could buy support if they need it. You all said your license no longer had support.

Bug reporting should not cost anything.

Sorry it took so long from the last post. Life got in my way..

Last edited:
Back