switch to Nginx through UI didn't work

CanadaGuy

Verified User
New to DirectAdmin, and I'm trying to understand a couple of things. I did the following in my attempt to switch to Nginx:

1) Extra Features - Custom Build 2.0
2) Edit Options
3) WEB Server Settings - Web Server - Select Nginx
4) Save

After this, I viewed the System Information, and it showed Apache was disabled, but Nginx wasn't up and running. So I googled and came up with this link.

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54634

I noticed the command for build, so I went back to the UI under Custom Build 2.0 and tried building Nginx. But it didn't seem to help, neither did a reboot. It still showed Apache, and it was in a not running state.

From the link above, the following commands were called out:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set webserver nginx
./build nginx

I figured the first and second commands were like running my earlier steps 1) and 2)
I figured "./build set webserver nginx" was like my step 3) and 4)
Lastly I figured my UI action "build" should be the same as that last command.

In short, running the commands worked fine, and checking system information showed that Nginx was installed, no mention of Apache, and the web server was working.

Did I miss a common step in my UI attempt to switch?

Hello,

In directadmin you first set options you want, save them, and then build software. So it's working this way.

Hello,

In directadmin you first set options you want, save them, and then build software. So it's working this way.

By options, you are referring to the Edit Options tab in CustomBuild 2.0?

What about the "./build update" command I've seen used. Does that correspond to the Update button on the CustomBuild 2.0 page?

Yes, the options.

The command `./build update` updates a script of custombuild and list of versions only.

To complete setup you should run `./build nginx` either in Web-UI or in root-console.

Yes, the options.

The command `./build update` updates a script of custombuild and list of versions only.

To complete setup you should run `./build nginx` either in Web-UI or in root-console.

Thanks for both of those tidbits. It wasn't obvious to me that "Build" does the same thing I would expect "Install" to do.

Can you recommend any DA reading on common CLI commands to accomplish common tasks?

Back