System backup - load higher than acceptable limits

Muni3k

Verified User
Hello,

i have problem with system backup. My dedicated server has load about 6-8 at night and i can't do backup. Machine has 64GB of RAM and Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz CPU. It works very well. I'd like to increase maximum load level to do backup by DirectAdmin panel. The questions is: how? I searched FAQs, Google and lots of DirectAdmin's files.

Best regards, Muni3k.

Ops, i forgot include message from DirectAdmin. So here it is:

Topic: Your backups are now ready Today at 5:00
Performing sanity checks: Completed
Checking load average: System load higher than acceptable limits, aborting...
Performing cleanup operations: Completed
<br>

Maybe work around it by changing the time the backup starts?
Or find out why there is a high load at that particular time, perhaps shutdown the service during the backup.

My server (vps) draws a 75-85% CPU load during the backup-process but I have never seen load-errors yet.

The problem is that the lowest load on server in 24h is about 5.0. I set the best hour for backup. I have lots of services that i can't allow to be down even for few minutes. I have no problem with CPU usage - it's about 40% at night.

If your server runs well with those loads then change the configuration file so the backup will run even if the server load is higher.

Jeff

That's exactly why i created this topic ;) I don't know where i can find this sort of config file. Can you give me some informations? I'm using Debian 6.

I don't think it's a option i'm looking for. As you read closer it's about checking load every minute and sending me a notification once a day. Of course i have configured it in my DA.
check_load=40.0
check_load_minute=15
And here is template it sends:
|?SUBJECT=Warning: The system load average is `LOAD`|
This is an automated message notifying you that the |MINUTE| minute load average on your system is |LOAD|.
This has exceeded the |LIMIT| threshold.

One Minute - |ONE|
Five Minutes - |FIVE|
Fifteen Minutes - |FIFTEEN|

|TOP|

================================
Automated Message Generated by DirectAdmin
It is different than that i receved after try to create backup.

I have set it to inform me when avg load is more than 40 (per 8 cores) for 15 minutes. I have done it months ago, when i was setting server for the first time.

I set option check_load to 0, but i don't think it helps me. It will just disable notifications about server's overload.

Does anybody has other solutions?

Ops, i forgot include message from DirectAdmin. So here it is:
Hello,

Note that this isn't the DirectAdmin backups, but rather the "System Backup", aka "sysbk".

It's config lives here:
/usr/local/sysbk/conf.sysbk

and you can change the MAX_LOAD variable to a higher value, eg:
Code:
MAX_LOAD="10"
but.. if your load is already high when the backup starts, it will go even higher.

On an unrelated note, the System Backup does have it's uses, but we typically recommend sticking with the Admin Backup/Transfer tool for User data:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=269

John

Back