Understand DNS

Kurogane

Verified User
I've a fresh DA instalation and i want to configure nameservers.

In my server i have 2 IP, when installing DA take primary IP for license issue and take this for primary IP for create domains cool here.

The problem i've i want to "custom" ns1 and ns2 because DA take primary IP and assing IP ns1/ns2 with primary i'm not sure why? anyways, looking for admin area i not see anywhere to modify IPs for nameservers.

Looking for forums i see i need to assing IP to user/admin, can you tell me what that hell i need to do that? (is just a simple IP setup why i need to assing IP to whatever user?) i just only want to setup system default ns with IP i want that is all.

I try everything i see on forums and i can't figure out how to do it

- I try to Reseller -> Name Servers, i can't setup because i need to IP (yeah i need to assing ip for this user why?)
a) If i assing IP and now i select 2 IP, select domain then i choose IPs i want ns1(main IP)/ns2(IP asigned) finally click create nameserver (error: 1.2.3.4 is the server ip and you are not allowed to create a nameserver on it)
b) same step as point a) only i choose "virtual" its create BUT in NS i have ns1/ns2 (main ip) and ns1/ns2 getting IPs from domain registrar, so i have two ns1 and two ns2 huh?

- When i create a user always i get NS from ns1/ns2 for the MAIN IP
- If i go DNS Administration and click "Reset Default" what you think happen? yeah you're right is restoring to default ns1/ns2 for main IP!!!!

Jesus Christ, why why? i really not understand how a simple nameserver setup give me this headache

It's quite normal that DA uses the main server ip as ns1. DA does this because otherwise domains would never work, dns needs a nameserver.
We use the main server ip on which the domains also reside, and 1 external ip on another server, but everybody can choose what he wants or how, it's very customizable.

If I understand you correctly, you have 2 other ip's you want to use as nameservers? Or do you want to use the main server ip and 1 other ip but on the same server?

I will use examples for you. But I use the enhanced skin, so if you don't see the options I mention, change to enhanced skin (temporarily).
Main server ip 1.2.3.4
Extra server ip for dns 9.8.7.6.

Go to admin level, ip management, and put in 9.8.7.6 there so you have 2 ip's on the server.
Still there, select both ip's and clik the "assign to admin" button.
Now the 2nd ip will looke like understatus "free" and under reseller "admin".

Now click home and then go to "Reseller level" on the right had side.
Go to "nameservers". You will see 1.2.3.4 server with x users and 9.8.7.6 free.
Select both.
Then use the correct domain from the pulldown, click create ns1 and ns2 for domain.com and your done. To be sure you can also click on save in the column below where it says "Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users"
Now on the right had side click "user level" (select the dns domain if there are more domains) and click DNS management.
Now look at the A records and NS records.
Remove ns1 and ns2 records which are NOT either 1.2.3.4 or 9.8.7.6.
Check that the NS records are pointing to the correct domain.

You're done.

It's also easy when using external nameserver.
Just fill in the correct records in the dns management at user level. Click the "Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users" on reseller leven and you're also done.
In that case you don't have to add the ip in ip management, that's only if you use local ip's.

It's quite normal that DA uses the main server ip as ns1. DA does this because otherwise domains would never work, dns needs a nameserver.
We use the main server ip on which the domains also reside, and 1 external ip on another server, but everybody can choose what he wants or how, it's very customizable.

I know main server ip would be ns1 that is not the issue if not ns2 always take main IP. If we talking about server have only one IP is understable but if the server have two or more IP why not ns2 take another IP.

If I understand you correctly, you have 2 other ip's you want to use as nameservers? Or do you want to use the main server ip and 1 other ip but on the same server?

No, i only have two IP main IP and one extra and i want to use in same server.

Go to admin level, ip management, and put in 9.8.7.6 there so you have 2 ip's on the server.
Still there, select both ip's and clik the "assign to admin" button.
Now the 2nd ip will looke like understatus "free" and under reseller "admin".

That is what i say, why i need to do that? why not simple create a system default nameserver.

I will use examples for you. But I use the enhanced skin, so if you don't see the options I mention, change to enhanced skin (temporarily).
Main server ip 1.2.3.4
Extra server ip for dns 9.8.7.6.

Now click home and then go to "Reseller level" on the right had side.
Go to "nameservers". You will see 1.2.3.4 server with x users and 9.8.7.6 free.
Select both.
Then use the correct domain from the pulldown, click create ns1 and ns2 for domain.com and your done. To be sure you can also click on save in the column below where it says "Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users"

I already do this and not working, give me error i say in my first post

"a) If i assing IP and now i select 2 IP, select domain then i choose IPs i want ns1(main IP)/ns2(IP asigned) finally click create nameserver (error: 1.2.3.4 is the server ip and you are not allowed to create a nameserver on it)"

I think i do all possible way to create it not one work for what i want.

But if do it way as you say give extra IP to admin or another reseller user then that IP is allocated to user in question as "dedicated", if i create another reseller then what? i can't do use same method right? because that IP not is owed for the user. This is precisely why I don't like the idea of giving the IP to a user because the other resellers what happen to them? if i understand correctly other reseller i added will take main ip address and will take both ns1/ns2 main IP.

Back