All backups are not working anymore.

RickDeckard

Verified User
Dear users, i've a weird problem.

On 2 differnts VPS with Ubuntu 20, admin/reseller backups and user backup starts but were not created and without any error.
On several others VPS and dedicated with Ubuntu 20 too or Centos (with almost same settings) everything work perfectly.

I've also tried under Admin -> Admin Backup/Transfer
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 19-54-36 178 132 1 189 - DirectAdmin v1 63 5.png
Backup start and result complete after few seconds.
But, i've not any new files under /RESELLER/user_backups

At least i've also tries both compressing setup into directadmin.conf

The "classic" tar.gz
zstd=0
backup_gzip=1

The new more efficient zstd
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build zstd

zstd=1 (or removing option)
backup_gzip=2

Nothing to do.
Many thanks.

check if your cron service is running.
check if you have disk space and you are not limited by quota for user vipnetwork

other than those two, you have to take a look at your directadmin logs , that should give you a bit more insight.

check if your cron service is running.
check if you have disk space and you are not limited by quota for user vipnetwork

other than those two, you have to take a look at your directadmin logs , that should give you a bit more insight.

The issue persist on all resellers and admin.

From one VPS:

This is my cron:
cat /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron
* * * * * root /usr/local/directadmin/dataskq
2 0-23/6 * * * root echo 'action=vacation&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue;
#5 5 * * 0 root /sbin/quotaoff -a; /sbin/quotacheck -augm; /sbin/quotaon -a;
10 0 * * * root echo 'action=tally&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
20 4 1 * * root echo 'action=reset&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
0 4 * * * root echo 'action=check&value=license' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

This is my HDD's usage:
df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 1.1M 1.6G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv 883G 258G 581G 31% /
tmpfs 7.9G 880K 7.9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/loop1 56M 56M 0 100% /snap/core18/2284
/dev/loop2 62M 62M 0 100% /snap/core20/1328
/dev/loop0 56M 56M 0 100% /snap/core18/2128
/dev/loop3 68M 68M 0 100% /snap/lxd/21835
/dev/loop4 33M 33M 0 100% /snap/snapd/12704
/dev/loop5 71M 71M 0 100% /snap/lxd/21029
/dev/loop6 44M 44M 0 100% /snap/snapd/14549
/dev/sda2 976M 207M 703M 23% /boot

A little Extract from /var/log/directadmin/system.log

2022:02:05-21:18:19: Cannot get a backup slot for admin's backup: ./data/admin/backup_slot: pushing to next task.queue: file is locked by another process: lock created Sat Feb 5 00:00:06 2022
2022:02:05-21:18:19: Running Backup: type=reseller owner=vipnetwork id=(null)
2022:02:05-21:18:25: Cannot get a backup slot for vipnetwork's backup: ./data/admin/backup_slot: pushing to next task.queue: file is locked by another process: lock created Sat Feb 5 00:00:06 2022
2022:02:05-21:18:25: Running Backup: type=reseller owner=vipnetwork id=1

Very similar with others users.
So, may remove lock fix the issue?
How to do it?
Thanks

You should get a message in the system messages about the exact file causing the lock.

if you can confirm your crond service is running, and no actual backup process ls running, it's safe to remove the lock file
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/<user>/user.action.lock

Try rebooting the VPS and see if that helps.

Indeed if really nothing is running, you can remove the lock file.

No found any lock files on all reseller and admin into:

/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/<user>/user.action.lock

Also tried:
Restart VPS
Removing all scheduled backup crons in all resellers.

Tried again to make backup of a single user.
Nothing to do.

Thanks

but can confirm your crond service is running?

Code:
tail /var/log/cron

Missing in all ubuntu servers but found on Centos servers.
Even is missing, on several ubuntu's scheduled backups are working, just checked.

On ubuntu "don't work" VPS's i've actived

/var/log/cron.log

(it was commented into /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf)

Now cron is readable, i'm watching real time log:

tail -f /var/log/cron.log

I see others user custom cron but nothing related to backups (i've started some)

Can you verify that the datatask of directadmin is activated when you choose to create the backup directly manually?
In /usr/local/directadmin/data there should appear a file called something like task.queue in there.
This can change to task.queue.tmp if busy.

Can you verify that the datatask of directadmin is activated when you choose to create the backup directly manually?
In /usr/local/directadmin/data there should appear a file called something like task.queue in there.
This can change to task.queue.tmp if busy.

On one server backups restarted.
From the other one were blocked again i've this:

ls -lh /usr/local/directadmin/data
total 28K
drwx------ 6 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Feb 6 20:55 admin
drwxr-xr-x 6 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Jan 25 10:18 lang
drwx------ 2 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Feb 6 20:25 sessions
drwxr-xr-x 5 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Jan 25 10:18 skins
drwx--x--x 11 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Feb 6 18:39 templates
drwx------ 3 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Dec 27 22:57 tickets
drwx--x--x 9 diradmin diradmin 4.0K Jan 31 09:28 users

current Directadmin Cron with scheduled backups where these backups doesn't start:

tail /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
action=backup&append%5Fto%5Fpath=nothing&database%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&dayofmonth=%2A&dayofweek=%2A&email%5Fdata%5Faware=yes&ftp%5Fpassword=&hour=%32&id=%37&minute=%30&month=%2A&owner=vipnetwork&trash%5Faware=yes&type=reseller&value=multiple&when=now&where=local&who=all

ETC

Last edited:
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d80
Debug mode. Level 80

auto detect filesystem type: quota_partition=/ : but ext4 is used for /. Setting xfs_on_domains=0
2022/02/07 08:25:30 info starting queues
dataskq: command: action=backup&append_to_path=nothing&database_data_aware=yes&email_data_aware=yes&ftp_ip=kimsufiftp.hostmart.eu&ftp_password=aHl1eXAwOWFXcnNhMg%3D%3D&ftp_path=%2F&ftp_port=21&ftp_secure=no&ftp_username=sheeta_hostmart&owner=hostmart&trash_aware=yes&type=reseller&value=multiple&when=now&where=ftp&who=all
System::getLock:./data/admin/backup_slot.1: file is locked by another process: lock created Mon Feb 7 00:00:01 2022: returning 0
System::getLock:./data/admin/backup_slot.2: file is locked by another process: lock created Fri Feb 4 23:00:03 2022: returning 0
System::getLock:./data/admin/backup_slot.3: file is locked by another process: lock created Sat Feb 5 00:00:06 2022: returning 0

ETC

There always these backup process locked.
sorry but i still don't understand, how to remove these locks?

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread, same issue, they used the removal of the lockfiles and something from the doc to solve it.

Otherwise if you don't have a personal license you might want to send in a ticket.

Have a look at this thread, same issue, they used the removal of the lockfiles and something from the doc to solve it.

Otherwise if you don't have a personal license you might want to send in a ticket.
Thanks but i've not any .lock files into any user folder under /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/ etc

The provided link on another thread https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29, forward to:

How this may help?
Thanks and sorry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry too. If you don't have any lock files there, I'm afraid there is already an issue.
If the log files of directadmin in /var/log/directadmin to not specify something more clear, then I'm afraid you need a ticket of maybe somebody from staff to have a look at your issue here.

In the directadmin.conf what is

Code:
backup_hard_link_check
set to
If its not set or set to 0
Change to 1
and cycle DA service

Then retry the backup.

Back