Almalinux or rocky linux as successors to centos 8 and will DA support almalinux ?

Rocky Linux should work just fine. In fact, any 1:1 fork (CentOS clone) should work automatically. We definitely have nothing against Rocky Linux. Feel free to open a ticket if any installation problems occur but DA should install on it just as smoothly as AlmaLinux, VzLinux, etc.

Or something like that... pfff.. the tab thing got me in the previous post, couldn't get it exactly as I wanted. :)

I agree.. list could get out of hand though. AlmaLinux / VzLinux / RockyLinux / Oracle Linux / RHEL8/ CentOS Stream / CloudLinux8 / etc. o_O

I agree.. list could get out of hand though.
VzLinux is already on a different line, like Cloudlinux is on a seperate line too, so those lines can't get too long imho.

You are going to loose FreeBSD next month, so maybe you can better change it next month, someting like this for the ones related to RHEL.
RHEL and derived*

Then below or above this line:
For Ubuntu just select the "Linux 64-bit static" OS in client portal
create a new line
* Derived are Alma-, Rocky- and Oracle Linux. Just select the "xxxxxxxx" OS in the client portal
and for xxxx you can fill in Linux 64-bit static or Centos 8 whatever is needed. I think we use Centos 8 now for Alma.

And loose the FreeBSD support row.

This would keep things neat and clear.
Forgive me any language errors as I'm not native English. I hope the "derived" is correct.

I have a similar question... provisioning a new server now and wondering which operating system. I prefer FreeBSD but was told it won't be supported by DA anymore, I can't remember why, the FreeBSD website says their 12 LTS will be supported by FreeBSD until 2024.

So, if I go with AlmaLinux then how long until I have to re-provision a new server and move everything over again? I want to keep from having to re-provision servers more than absolutely necessary

So, if I go with AlmaLinux then how long until I have to re-provision a new server and move everything over again?
Propably so long as Cloudlinux exists, and is not bought by the same company who bought cPanel and WHMCS .. hopefully ...

I can't remember why,
It's mentioned in the announcement thread here. If I remember correctly extra work and way too little customers using it to keep it supported.

For the rest, like Johannes said. You can't expect some OS to go on forever, but Alma seems the best choice. Or Debian maybe, that also exists for many years.

Alma is backed by a commercial company and I can see some advantages of that. But we see what happened to CentOS when it got bought by a commercial company. However it did last 7 more years. I am liking Rocky Linux because its founded by the person who founded CentOS originally. And I like the way the organization is set up. It just gives me a little more confidence. I could certainly be wrong.

I have migrated +25 C8 machines to Rocky 8 with their migrate script without big issues.
All C8 machines are now migrated, oef!

I am happy I didn't stop migrating C6 machines to C8 when the news came out C8 would stop in 1 year (jan 2021), I was confident a migration path would exist when the time is ready.
-> some ppl stopped migrating towards C8 and switched migrating to C7 instead when the news came out.

Alma is backed by a commercial company and I can see some advantages of that. But we see what happened to CentOS when it got bought by a commercial company. However it did last 7 more years. I am liking Rocky Linux because its founded by the person who founded CentOS originally. And I like the way the organization is set up. It just gives me a little more confidence. I could certainly be wrong.
yeah, the same person who founded CentOS and and sold it.

Maybe Rocky will be sold in the future like its sister.

Back