Converting from CentOS?

If you will be looking to move to a different OS which one?

• FreeBSD

• Debian

• Ubuntu

• Oracle Linux (not currently Supported)

• Cloud Linux OSV (not currently existing)

• Red Hat EL

• Rocky Linux (not currently existing)

• Staying on CentOS until the bitter end.

• Windows?

• Alma linux

Results are only viewable after voting.

factor

Verified User
REST IN PEACE CENTOS
Background.jpgTo help lend some guidance to DA. I thought a Poll would be good. If you have CentOS of any version answer below. Mark up to 3.
Feel free to comment below as well.

Well I assume it has to be approved as I dont see my poll.

I am sticking with version 7. Its has support for several more years. This will give time for perhaps Rocky Linux to get established or perhaps another one. I don't feel the need to have a knee jerk reaction. Let the dust settle.

For now we stay with CentOS 7 and CloudLinux ...maybe we will give CloudLinux OS a try that was just announced.

I'd say: wait a while

I'm still running cent 7 so I still have a little more than 3 years to decide .

I'll run 7 for at least the next year. A replacement will be clear when CentOS 8 end is near. It is also compatible my update schedule for my host servers. Just in time for new hardware and a fresh installation confirm everything is working and migrate in Q1 2022

I am running 8. Am I in danger?

I updated my last server to CentOS 8 last week, so I will be sticking to 8 as I am not to worried as we have a year of support.

I used FreeBSD back in the mid 2000, I found it very stable on DA but I have not used it for many years, tried Debian 10 a couple of days ago just a standard install seems ok.

So if Rocky Linux does not work out, I will use Debian in the future, hopefully DA will continue to support FreeBSD in the future.

I've been a CentOS server admin since 5.5, now running 8.
Currently in the process of migrating servers to Ubuntu 20.04. Would prefer Debian but Ubuntu offers a longer life for LTS releases.

I would use whatever DirectAdmin uses to initially build on.

Reactions: jca
I would use whatever DirectAdmin uses to initially build on.
Yeah. Ubuntu should work though

I think both ubuntu LTS and Debian LTS have 5 years of support. With Debian having (I think) another 2 of ELTS. So I'd go for debian though.

CentOS previously has 10 years support. I am hoping the replacement Rocky Linux will have the same.

Back