cPanel-to-DirectAdmin conversion tool

help

If I were to supply my cpanel backup, can someone transfer it to the DA format? I have tried many different things and it keeps failing.

Migrate

i recently have made a little progress. This is what the outcome was when i ran the script.

Examining backup-5.9.2009_09-48-04_lhent.tar.gz... (user lhent)
Extracting cPanel backup.tar: backup-5.9.2009_09-48-04_lhent/homedir.tar: Wrote only 7168 of 10240 bytes

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
..tar: import/lhent/homedir: Cannot chdir: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Domain 1: lhentertainment.net...
Sub-domains... (2 converted)
o testing.lhentertainment.net
o my.lhentertainment.net
Building DNS...
FTP Addresses... (7 converted)
o movies
o lhent
POP3/IMAP Accounts and data... (0 converted)
No Root IMAP mail data detected, skipping.
No Squirrelmail preferences detected, skipping.
Copying remaining files... mv: cannot stat `./import/lhent/homedir/public_html': No such file or directory

Domain pointers... (0 converted)
Translating any Crontab entries... (0 converted)
MySQL Databases... (0 converted)
o lhent_sms
+ host 192.168.1.%
+ user lhent
+ user lhent_lhent
+ host 72.232.100.7
+ host 86.126.7.3
+ host localhost
o lhent_clientbase
+ host 192.168.1.%
+ user lhent
+ user lhent_Dmitriy
+ host 72.232.100.7
+ host 86.126.7.3
+ host localhost
o lhent
+ host 192.168.1.%
+ user lhent
+ host 72.232.100.7
+ host 86.126.7.3
+ host localhost
o lhent_public
+ host 192.168.1.%
+ user lhent
+ user lhent_dev1
+ user lhent_phpdev
+ host 72.232.100.7
+ host 86.126.7.3
+ host localhost
Creating DirectAdmin tarball...
Cleaning up...
Success!

1 tarballs attempted/converted.

~fin.

Now, when I went into DA to transfer over, none of the mySQL were there nor the files. Also, I noticed at the top it shows Wrote only 7168 of 10240 bytes.

Any help, please?

Update

For anyone that might be having an issue getting the converter to work, size of the file has something to do with it. Dumping the public html permitted me to get everything switched over. Maybe the creator can fix that issue.

Thank you for the advice, it worked perfectly. I plan to post this info in case others have the same issue.

SupermanInNY said:
djmessy said:
Did you receive the FTP details I sent yesterday?

Yes, I did.
At first I thought you have only 100MB of size.
Then it turns to be a really big backup file - 1GB in size.
So it took a very long time to d/l onto my server.

I then ran the regular import process and same as with you, it failed.

I tried different options, but no success.

Possible solutions to run:

Use a different da.cpanel.conversion tool. I think there are two versions out there. I'm not sure which version I'm using.

If that doesn't work, then reduce the size of the backup to the smallest.
Don't backup the public_html directory. The Public Html directory can be backed up separartly.
So if you can backup the cPanel without the homedir, then do that.
This will allow the creation/work with a smaller size file and will have all your work available quickly.
The 'missing' piece of the public_html can be just pulled out from the current full backup and restored via tar into an active DirectAdmin account.

Can you do the small backup?

-Alon.

I just wanted to say, this tool is completely AWESOME!

I had a site that had a ton of email accounts, couple subdomains and all kinds of crazy stuff. I was DREADING moving it over from my cPanel shared host to my DA server. I figured I would give this a whirl....

It was a complete success! All the email accounts work I mean everything was done in about 3 minutes! This would have taken me all night to finish manually.

Great work on this script, I owe you a case of your favorite adult beverage!

Anyone else having problems with this untaring the homedir.tar file within the cpanel backup?

This used to be a problem, then a new version came out and it fixed it, but now I'm having the issues again.

It seems that everything else will migrate except the mail and then I have to manually untar the homedir.tar file and then cp the public_html folder over.

I hoping someine knows an easier workaround or has an upgraded script.

Thanks!

Scott

As has already been stated, the conversion tool is quite simple, as long as you know the basics of SSH, you will be fine, i've done it quite a few times for clients moving from a cPanel dedicated server to a DirectAdmin dedicated server.

Can anybody help me, please?
I've imported a cpanel into directadmin, everything seemed to be all right, but since than if we creat a subdomain it doesn't want to work...
Do you have any idea what the problem would be?

INSTRUCTIONS

1/ Download and extract the version URL (from above) that you wish to use. (wget and tar xzf)

2/ Create import and export directories for the tool to use. (mkdir import export)

3/ Copy your cPanel user backups into the import directory.

4/ Edit defaults.conf to match the DA server you will be restoring to. The only fields you must change are the IP and name server fields. The tool will not work if you fail to do this!

5/ Execute perl da.cpanel.import.pl and follow the on-screen instructions (which will duplicate the steps here to a degree).

6/ After the tool is finished converting (or as it completes each individual user), move your new DA user backups from the export directory to any DA /home/RESELLER/user_backups directory*

7/ Restore the DA user backups in DA's reseller-level Manage User Backups tool.

That's it!

*If the tool is being executed on a cPanel server, you can optionally have the tool automatically transfer your new DA user backups (after all conversion is complete) to a remote server.

Well, it seems like an OK guide except i don't understand half of it. like:

2/ Create import and export directories for the tool to use. (mkdir import export)

Where?

4/ Edit defaults.conf to match the DA server you will be restoring to. The only fields you must change are the IP and name server fields. The tool will not work if you fail to do this!

I have a dedicated server, but I do not find my nameservers...

5/ Execute perl da.cpanel.import.pl and follow the on-screen instructions (which will duplicate the steps here to a degree).

How/where do I axecute a file like this?

How do i know if my cpanel is using maildir og mailbox?

Any help will be very much appreciated!!

one more thing

Thank you it is a great tool
I suggest you add a force option to mysql restore in order to continue
even with errors.

Im going to attempt to convert my cpanel into directadmin

few questions, i have WHM/cPanel VPS Version on the server i want to install Direct Admin, how or what would be the easyest possible way to convert all these???

Is the tool upto date?

I don't have have an expert knowledge of ssh or anything, but i guest im abit above begginer, i know a few things over the past 5 years,

any help or response is thankful!!!!

Regards

Make the CPanel backup. Make a backup of all the directories in case something doesn't work.

Wipe the server.

Reinstall the OS.

Install DirectAdmin.

Convert and install the backups.

Note, I do NOT recommend this, or guarantee that you won't lose data.

Jeff

I'm new to direct admin and I need three cpanel accounts transfer over to DA from one dedicated server to another, I read the instructions and I'm super confused. Can someone help me out doing the transfer please?

This tool saved my life with about 30 sites to move from a Cpanel VPS to a DA dedicated.

The only two problems I had and one of which was reseller error, was none of the mail forwarders showed up and if there is not a valid email address on a cpanel account or if the email address field wasn't blank, it would not restore. (for some reason, my reseller had a couple accounts with just a username in the email address field.)

I was able to flawlessly convert both user generated and admin generated cpanel backups.

What I did was (good for 2 server setups) create an ftp on the new server then had the cpanel server backup to a remote ftp. I setup the conversion tool as instructed. Then I installed webmin on the new server and used its file manager to move files from the ftp account to the inport folder which I put right in my root folder so I didn't have to dig deep while in SSH. Converted my backups then used webmin to move them to the reseller "user_backup" folder.

Simple as h-e-double hockey stick.

If anyone needs help, I would be happy to... Just PM me to schedule something (I have a real job too).

Is anyone having trouble with the conversion not converting the public_html folder because it's doubly compressed in the cpanel backup.

I've had this issue for months now and have had to do the conversion, then manually uncompress the public_html directory from inside the cpanel backup, then copy all of the public_html files over manually.

It works, but it adds a lot of extra steps. It used to work flawlessly without that step, but now it doesn't.

Anyone else have that issue?

I am trying to migrate from a reseller account to a VPS and have the cpanel backups (they are able to be extracted so I know they are not corrupted). I am getting hte following error mesage on any of the restores that I try though:

Unable to extract backup/user.conf from /home/admin/user_backups/chaos.tar.gz : Error while extracting backup/user.conf to /home/admin/user_backups/chaos as admin : /bin/tar: backup/user.conf: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Cannot read /home/admin/user_backups/chaos/backup/user.conf : Unable to open /home/admin/user_backups/chaos/backup/user.conf for reading

I have confirmed there is no backup/user.conf in the backup archives, did i miss somethign somewhere?

I would apprecaite any help.

cPanel Version 11.25.0-CURRENT

Back