custom nameservers don't work

migmac

Verified User
I have created 2 custom nameservers poiting to the same IP because I only have 1 IP, like this:

at goodady I have created the two nameservers and pointed to the ip address of my server

at directadmin I have created botth of them as well

I have attach a file with all records

Problem:

If I try to ping in the server, I get an error:

intodns reports:
Missing nameservers reported by your nameservers
You should already know that your NS records at your nameservers are missing, so here it is again:

any idea what can be the issue?

Attachments

• da_nameservers..GIF
    da_nameservers..GIF
    86.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
you must add them at domain registrar as hosts, not as subdomains.

you must add them at domain registrar as hosts, not as subdomains.

thank you for your reply, but i am not sure if I understand what you mean
at the registar it looks like the attach pictures, can you help me understand better your comment please?

Attachments

• pointingo-to-nameservers.GIF
    pointingo-to-nameservers.GIF
    19.3 KB · Views: 21
  • nameservers-toip.GIF
    nameservers-toip.GIF
    44.9 KB · Views: 23
At the second picture where it says hosts, do you only need to set ns1 there, or do you need to put the full name there, like ns1.mailardano.com or even ns1.mailcardano.com. with a trailing dot even?

In DA it looks good. If it's the same under reseller level under "nameservers".

At the second picture where it says hosts, do you only need to set ns1 there, or do you need to put the full name there, like ns1.mailardano.com or even ns1.mailcardano.com. with a trailing dot even?

yes they add the rest od the domain automatically, see this pic that shows that

Attachments

• hosts-.GIF
    hosts-.GIF
    10.9 KB · Views: 11

anyway, I try to update and look what happen

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    21.1 KB · Views: 14

and this is how it looks the "nameservers" you mention

Attachments

• nameservers.GIF
    nameservers.GIF
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
anyway, I try to update and look what happen
Oke so if they automatically put the rest of the domain name behind it at the registrar, just put it back as it was before. Like you showed me in the screenshot of post #5.

Be aware of the fact that it can take up to several hours before nameservers are synced.

Also at your datacenter, create a ptr/rDNS record, so your ip points to your hostname (for example server.mailcardano.com if that is your hostname).

Oke so if they automatically put the rest of the domain name behind it at the registrar, just put it back as it was before. Like you showed me in the screenshot of post #5.

Be aware of the fact that it can take up to several hours before nameservers are synced.

Also at your datacenter, create a ptr/rDNS record, so your ip points to your hostname (for example server.mailcardano.com if that is your hostname).

Hi Richard,

I am still not able to make this work, I did some changes to try to fix but no look, the setup I have is the following:

1. I have the main domain and hostcardano.com at cloudflare
2. I have configure the nameservers of ns1.com and ns2..com to point to my directadmin server
3. at the registar I have configured the dns of to point to the custom nameservers ns1..com and ns2..com
4. I have configure the dns zone of on directadmin only without cloudflare

do you think there is a problem to use clouldflare on this setup? maybe the problem is that the nameservers are at cloudflare and this setup is not possible?

Last edited:
1. I have the main domain and hostcardano.com at cloudflare
1.) Sorry, can't help you with that. I never used cloudflare for DNS before, so I don't know how to set that up or if there is a problem.
2.) Where, in cloudflare? Anyway I don't use cloudflare, so I don't know.
3.) IntoDNS says that's good, but if I do a nslookup on ns1.hostcardano.com it does not give me the correct ip, could be caused because DA is not responding on port 53 requests.
4.) Might be good, can't say from here. If it's like in your first screenshot then it's good.

Did you open the necessary ports in your firewall?

Maybe it's due to some error in the /etc/named.conf that might also be possible. Because it seems ns1 is still not responding.
Can you give the output of this command:
lsof -i:53

ping "ns1.mailcardano.com"

should have response back, otherwise it issued with your glue record. Even on cloudflare with grey cloud, should response with ping.

1.) Sorry, can't help you with that. I never used cloudflare for DNS before, so I don't know how to set that up or if there is a problem.
3.) IntoDNS says that's good, but if I do a nslookup on ns1.hostcardano.com it does not give me the correct ip, could be caused because DA is not responding on port 53 requests.
4.) Might be good, can't say from here. If it's like in your first screenshot then it's good.

Maybe it's due to some error in the /etc/named.conf that might also be possible. Because it seems ns1 is still not responding.

I waited 3 days to see if the dns could propagate, but nothing, it still does not work
I have removed the cloudflare and now I am pointing the nameservers directly to my server ip
the firewall is open

still not working, I waitted a few days to see if it was the dns replication but nothing
now I am not using cloudflare anymore, I pointed the ns directly to the server ip

port 53 seems to be open when I try a port scanner and the result of the command you ask is this

[root@server1 ~]# lsof -i:53
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
systemd-r 58163 systemd-resolve 17u IPv4 283193 0t0 UDP 127.0.0.53:domain
named 79662 named 21u IPv6 380275 0t0 TCP *:domain (LISTEN)
named 79662 named 22u IPv4 380279 0t0 TCP localhost:domain (LISTEN)
named 79662 named 23u IPv4 378515 0t0 TCP server1.hostcardano.com:domain (LISTEN)
named 79662 named 24u IPv4 378517 0t0 TCP server1.hostcardano.com:domain (LISTEN)
named 79662 named 512u IPv6 380273 0t0 UDP *:domain
named 79662 named 513u IPv6 380273 0t0 UDP *:domain
named 79662 named 514u IPv6 380273 0t0 UDP *:domain
named 79662 named 515u IPv4 380278 0t0 UDP localhost:domain
named 79662 named 516u IPv4 380278 0t0 UDP localhost:domain
named 79662 named 517u IPv4 380278 0t0 UDP localhost:domain
named 79662 named 518u IPv4 380280 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
named 79662 named 519u IPv4 380280 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
named 79662 named 520u IPv4 380280 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
named 79662 named 521u IPv4 378516 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
named 79662 named 522u IPv4 378516 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
named 79662 named 523u IPv4 378516 0t0 UDP server1.hostcardano.com:domain
[root@server1 ~]#

ping "ns1..com"

should have response back, otherwise it issued with your glue record. Even on cloudflare with grey cloud, should response with ping.

it does not respond to ping, even if I ping login to the server, so might be some problem with my dns zone in the server?

Last edited:
what is strange is that i can access the admin control panel using the domain from some locations

Seems in DA it looks good as to the command. If I use the ip on port 53 then I can login. So the nameserver on port 53 are working, so far so good.

The problem is in the name resolution. I can't do a reverse lookup on 130.61.42.108.
I can't find -any- name when doing a nslookup on hostcardano.com or ns1.hostcardano.com

Also when doing a dig @130.61.42.108 hostcardano.com no result is given. So the nameserver is not responding to requests or does not know how.

Have you checked this already?

As for step 3, if there is // in front of it, it's disabled then you don't need to remove.

Otherwise might best send in a ticket or ask somebody to have a look at it for you.

I see in DNS on Directadmin, you are wrong in A record, you must point ns1 and ns2 same as pop / smtp (not ns1.mailcardani.com and ns2.mailcardani.com)

Attachments

• da_nameservers..GIF
    da_nameservers..GIF
    87.4 KB · Views: 14
you are wrong in A record, you must point ns1 and ns2 same as pop / smtp (not ns1.mailcardani.com and ns2.mailcardani.com)
No that is not wrong as long als the full name is followed by a trailing dot like was done here.
So you can either use
ns1 ns2
or
ns1.mailcardani.com. ns2.mailcardani.com.
that is both correct.

Just using ns1 and ns2 is easier however.

Back