Debian Beta Testing

Since there haven't been any announcements taking it out of beta status, it is most likely still the case.

Email them asking for details on how to test it ;)

I got a few servers that are going to run Debian 3.1 (sarge), but I do want DA on at least one of them.
Now I know beta is still, well, beta, but when can we expect to be able to buy a sarge license and install it ? ;)

One server is going to partially replace an old RH 8.0 server while the other server will run without a control panel, as it's an backup server for dns (and mail)...

So I'd like an ETA please...

You can now. When purchasing a license select coleovision or something similar to that.

Icheb said:
I got a few servers that are going to run Debian 3.1 (sarge), but I do want DA on at least one of them.
Now I know beta is still, well, beta, but when can we expect to be able to buy a sarge license and install it ? ;)

One server is going to partially replace an old RH 8.0 server while the other server will run without a control panel, as it's an backup server for dns (and mail)...

So I'd like an ETA please...
remember also that the debian is beta. And seems that the last months the directadmin team have stop to work on debian (i not have any major bug fixed last months)

blueice said:
(i not have any major bug fixed last months)

I haven't run accross any major bugs (or minor for that matter) that have needed to be fixed, have you?

blueice said:
remember also that the debian is beta. And seems that the last months the directadmin team have stop to work on debian (i not have any major bug fixed last months)
I've been too busy to even read the changelogs for about the last 5 DA updates, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

But I am going to order a DA Debian 3.1 license soon.
Do you have any advice on how (with which packages/target objective) to install the server ?

Icheb said:
I've been too busy to even read the changelogs for about the last 5 DA updates, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

But I am going to order a DA Debian 3.1 license soon.
Do you have any advice on how (with which packages/target objective) to install the server ?
just run the install script (like the redhat).
I have install quotas first.
in general the default install is like the redhat.
Also it is important to keep the install logs and check for errors. So after the install you can correct the errors.

jmstacey said:
PauGasol,
I've been running 3.1 for many months now without incident.

:confused: Then why cant I choose Debian in the "Operating System" list in the "new license" request form ?

I have choose one sos and debian is not in the list .

Why is no official? why beta yet?

I dont understand , if all is stable and works ok...

Thanks

It's like coleovision or something like that.

Only DirectAdmin can answer that questions. Same goes for FreeBSD5.
Just observations, but it might be because they are busy, limited staff and by not making it official and putting it on the list, they could drop support for those operating systems if something of a higher priority came along. But that's just my speculation. Best way to find out would be to email them ;)

jmstacey said:
It's like coleovision or something like that.

Only DirectAdmin can answer that questions. Same goes for FreeBSD5.
Just observations, but it might be because they are busy, limited staff and by not making it official and putting it on the list, they could drop support for those operating systems if something of a higher priority came along. But that's just my speculation. Best way to find out would be to email them ;)

Thanks for the reply . anyway I can wait , i will contact them in sept if all continue as now.

Thanks

Finally have all the components I need to start work on our first Debian 3.1 DA server, going to order license tomorrow and place it in datacenter on friday... (Let's hope nothing goes wrong now ;)).

First customers will be on it on friday as well... So now I really hope nothing will go wrong ;).

Good-luck!
I don't think you should have to many problems, if any. Most of the bugs appear to be worked out.

jmstacey said:
Good-luck!
I don't think you should have to many problems, if any. Most of the bugs appear to be worked out.
:)
Mark offered me a trail license last night, but due to lack of external IP's I can't accept the offer, just have to install DA on site. (yeeha, my company is behind a NAT :( )

It's probably a bit late for you now, Icheb, but I can offer you a linux-based testbed box to play with if you'd like.

But I can't possibly get it set up before some time tomorrow (Friday) my time (-0700).

Jeff

Thanks for the offer, but I agree, it's a bit too late.
I hope to be finished at 9 am or earlier (your time). (GMT+1 here)

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I have to fix all stuff onsite, just hope I don't run into any new problems.

Is there any expected official release date for the debian Sarge version yet?

I am very interest in the Debian version of DirectAdmin to because i would like to switch my server to it because it spose to be the best Linux distro out there, infact i use a debian based os for my personal pc now. So when it is released for public and even if it is not consider totally stable yet, let me know.

Last edited:
Back